LA Council call for ‘Meatless Monday' for health & environmental concerns

Shortline Bus

article-hamburger-1110.jpg

"The drive-thru capital of the world has declared Mondays meatless.

In a unanimous vote, the Los Angeles City Council adopted a resolution encouraging residents to go vegetarian on the first day of the work week as part of an international movement aimed at reducing the planet’s meat consumption.

"Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most common illnesses," Councilwoman Jan Perry said. "We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our health is directly affected by the foods we eat."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/city-council-calls-meatless-mondays-article-1.1200067#ixzz2BsVsH8xV

As far as I can tell this is a ruling which specifies absolute nothing, correct?

Pretty much. All this does is make the City Council appear in favor of the average resident, all the while, they're completly oblivious how much more useless they now seem.

lol... I think this is cute... :lol: All that's important is portion size and what types of meat you eat IMO. There are days that I don't eat any meat (i.e. today), but at the same time, I do consume a lot of seafood (grilled salmon, calamari (squid), mussels, and shrimp are my regulars along with scallops, sea bass and halibut), but I think as long as meat is had in moderation it isn't a problem. I mean I usually get either skinless chicken breast or turkey during the week just for some protein, and I'll do a medium filet mignon, hangar steak or a burger as a treat from time to time, but overall I try to stick to more lean meats and have meat in moderation and I find that that helps a lot if you want to keep in shape, along with exercise and other good eating habits.

lol... I think this is cute... :lol: All that's important is portion size and what types of meat you eat IMO. There are days that I don't eat any meat (i.e. today), but at the same time, I do consume a lot of seafood (grilled salmon, calamari (squid), mussels, and shrimp are my regulars along with scallops, sea bass and halibut), but I think as long as meat is had in moderation it isn't a problem. I mean I usually get either skinless chicken breast or turkey during the week just for some protein, and I'll do a medium filet mignon, hangar steak or a burger as a treat from time to time, but overall I try to stick to more lean meats and have meat in moderation and I find that that helps a lot if you want to keep in shape, along with exercise and other good eating habits.

Yes but we all know people don't have personal responsibility, therefore regulation is needed, NOT!

In all seriousness though, I'm not all big on meat anymore, and when I do indulge, it's of good quality. And fast food, forget about. I got tired of dealing with some of these irresponsible fools that can barely run a register, let alone handle food.

Great, more New World Order trash.

This is not a thing.

As I said before, it's a government takeover of things. As the economy gets worse, the power of the feds expand.

Where is there a government takeover here? Nothing changes.

It's really pathetic how America is becoming a third world dictatorship.

'cept it's not.

This is not a thing.

Where is there a government takeover here? Nothing changes.

'cept it's not.

Would you open you're eyes already?!?! Job employment has been down for about 45 months in a row and is continuing this path. Tons of American jobs are either moving overseas or are closing down altogether (such as Orion even though that is an international bus company). More then half the populace are on welfare and/or food stamps, what more proof do you want?

Would you open you're eyes already?!?! Job employment has been down for about 45 months in a row and is continuing this path. Tons of American jobs are either moving overseas or are closing down altogether (such as Orion even though that is an international bus company). More Over half the populace are on welfare and/or food stamps, what more proof do you want?

Charger lets get back on point. This is not the Charger Dodger NYCTF forums and your new world agenda taking over another thread. It's about how much is the national health crisis i.e overweight etc impact on this issue,bit of animal rights, enviormental concerns/global warming and whether the government is taking too much control on our lives? Thank You.

Would you open you're eyes already?!?! Job employment has been down for about 45 months in a row and is continuing this path. Tons of American jobs are either moving overseas or are closing down altogether (such as Orion even though that is an international bus company). More then half the populace are on welfare and/or food stamps, what more proof do you want?

What do you mean down? We hit a recession, and we've been gaining jobs every month now, so that's wrong. Half the populace on welfare/food stamps? Where do you get these numbers?! There 46.7 million Americans on food stamps (welfare recipients are part of that group) in a country of over 300 million. So that's wrong too. As for jobs leaving, yeah, outsourcing is a problem. Talk to former candidate Mitt about that one...

What do you mean down? We hit a recession, and we've been gaining jobs every month now, so that's wrong. Half the populace on welfare/food stamps? Where do you get these numbers?! There 46.7 million Americans on food stamps (welfare recipients are part of that group) in a country of over 300 million. So that's wrong too. As for jobs leaving, yeah, outsourcing is a problem. Talk to former candidate Mitt about that one...

Those are just cooked numbers for jobs. If you want to know the facts, just do some snopping around like I have. It is only then, you would understand what kind of danger we are all in.

Charger lets get back on point. This is not the Charger Dodger NYCTF forums and your new world agenda taking over another thread. It's about how much is the national health crisis i.e overweight etc impact on this issue,bit of animal rights, enviormental concerns/global warming and where the government is taking too much control. Thank You.

Ok fine, I just could draw the lines from all this.

Let the people do what the hell they want, sheesh. Is that concept too hard for our governments to understand?

Sadly it's becoming that Orion VII. I mean not too long ago ol' snicklefritz Bloomberg passed a ban on soda cups larger then 16 ounces (not that it's going to do a damn thing). In some schools across the country kids aren't even allowed to bring lunches from home and are basically being forced to eat the school lunch.

Sadly it's becoming that Orion VII. I mean not too long ago ol' snicklefritz Bloomberg passed a ban on soda cups larger then 16 ounces (not that it's going to do a damn thing). In some schools kids aren't even allowed to bring lunches from home and are basically being forced to eat the school lunch.

Exactly, like I said, the feds are becoming out of control. I fear for the future of not only this nation, but the planet as a whole.

Sadly it's becoming that Orion VII. I mean not too long ago ol' snicklefritz Bloomberg passed a ban on soda cups larger then 16 ounces (not that it's going to do a damn thing). In some schools kids aren't even allowed to bring lunches from home and are basically being forced to eat the school lunch.

That sucks. The school lunches in many places across america can be just as bad i.e high salt intake/sodium, fat and cholesterol as mickey d's and other fats food joints.

Back to issue. Before taking that drastic step, why can't the LA Council first try to address the high unemployment that still in Southern Calif? Or better yet find ways to make non-meat/healthy foods more affordable with giving tax breaks to stores that sell them cheaper? If they been to Whole Foods and other health related grocery shops, the costs for oragnic products is very expensive. Or better yet even a tax on eating at fast food places? Those steps would be better ideas than trying to be "Big Brother." :o

Back to issue. Before taking that drastic step, why can't the LA Council first try to address the high unemployment that still in Southern Calif? Or better yet find ways to make non-meat/healthy foods more affordable with giving tax breaks to stores that sell them cheaper? If they been to Whole Foods and other health related grocery shops, the costs for oragnic products is very expensive. Or better yet even a tax on eating at fast food places? Those steps would be better ideas than trying to be "Big Brother." :o

I guess doing the simplest things have become too hard for some people nowadays.

Yes but we all know people don't have personal responsibility, therefore regulation is needed, NOT!

In all seriousness though, I'm not all big on meat anymore, and when I do indulge, it's of good quality. And fast food, forget about. I got tired of dealing with some of these irresponsible fools that can barely run a register, let alone handle food.

I don't think this is a big deal. I mean quite frankly government DOES have a responsibility to at least set an example in terms of trying to ensure that its citizens are healthy, which currently clearly isn't the case. If anything I think it could be argued that the government hasn't done enough to ensure that its citizens are healthy due to the skyrocketing obesity rates in this country. What I mean is, instead of putting up regulations now that some 66% population is obese or overweight, they could be making it easier to access organic and natural foods, which currently is far more expensive than the processed crap. It should really start in the schools and if you have kids eating healthy then that cycle continues as they grow into adults.

The problem is we live in a very fast paced society and people simply have just stopped caring about themselves when it comes to food in addition to the enormous portion sizes that have continued to grow since I was a kid. Eating healthy in this country is not only a challenge because of the costs to buy organic and natural foods but also because folks don't set aside TIME to eat healthy. I don't care how crazy my day is.... I have to set aside some time to eat something half decent. Combine that with the fact that we eat out far more than in the past, and it's not difficult to see how health becomes an issue. I mean I'm sure you've got folks eating burgers and fries almost daily, where as before that was something you had as a treat AND in normal portion sizes. Now the burgers that are served in some places could feed two people easily. <_< Smh

Therefore you're seeing a widespread issue because of this and folks need to be shown how they can live in a fast paced society and still eat well. The other issue is that folks think that they should be entitled to eat whatever they want whenever. There is some truth to that, BUT they also need to be taught the consequences of those things and I think that's the real issue here, so I don't think there is any harm in trying to encourage folks to eat less meat.

Archived