LA Council call for ‘Meatless Monday' for health & environmental concerns

Shortline Bus

Let the people do what the hell they want, sheesh. Is that concept too hard for our governments to understand?

Right, they should be allowed to do what they want! Gay marriage should be legal, pot should be legal, abortions should be acceptable, and contraceptives should be readily available. I agree.

Right, they should be allowed to do what they want! Gay marriage should be legal, pot should be legal, abortions should be acceptable, and contraceptives should be readily available. I agree.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic at hand, but the government has allowed folks to do as they please and it has worked horribly... The obesity epidemic affects all of us since it can have ramifications on our economy, not to mention our healthcare costs, taxes and so on. Letting people "do as they want" would be irresponsible.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic at hand, but the government has allowed folks to do as they please and it has worked horribly... The obesity epidemic affects all of us since it can have ramifications on our economy, not to mention our healthcare costs, taxes and so on.

But that doesn't mean that they should regulate everything and treat people like babies. The point is to find a balance.

But that doesn't mean that they should regulate everything and treat people like babies. The point is to find a balance.

Of course. At the same time, part of the problem is that folks are indeed acting like babies because they should be the ones finding a balance in the first place. Government DOES have a duty to care for its citizens, and when the citizens demonstrate that they can't care for themselves then unfortunately in this case government comes in when they clearly shouldn't be in the first place. That's the sad part.

People should be outraged that it has come to this to begin with.

Of course. At the same time, part of the problem is that folks are indeed acting like babies because they should be the ones finding a balance in the first place. Government DOES have a duty to care for its citizens, and when the citizens demonstrate that they can't care for themselves then unfortunately in this case government comes in when they clearly shouldn't be in the first place. That's the sad part.

People should be outraged that it has come to this to begin with.

and who do you trust to make the decision? Some masterminds with an agenda? Sorry, not for me. you give the government an inch and they take a mile. where do you draw the line in the sand for government to stop cause they, especially this one has no line in the sand

joe

and who do you trust to make the decision? Some masterminds with an agenda? Sorry, not for me. you give the government an inch and they take a mile. where do you draw the line in the sand for government to stop cause they, especially this one has no line in the sand

joe

Perfect examples:

1. Limiting sizes of sodas we can drink

2. Over regulating school lunches

3. The topic of this thread

There is a line in the sand, but no one knows where to put it.

That sucks. The school lunches in many places across america can be just as bad i.e high salt intake/sodium, fat and cholesterol as mickey d's and other fats food joints.

Back to issue. Before taking that drastic step, why can't the LA Council first try to address the high unemployment that still in Southern Calif? Or better yet find ways to make non-meat/healthy foods more affordable with giving tax breaks to stores that sell them cheaper? If they been to Whole Foods and other health related grocery shops, the costs for oragnic products is very expensive. Or better yet even a tax on eating at fast food places? Those steps would be better ideas than trying to be "Big Brother." :o

I believe the council attempted to that that at least once prior, only to be met by oppisition from impoverished neighborhoods that had no direct access to a local grocery store.

I don't think this is a big deal. I mean quite frankly government DOES have a responsibility to at least set an example in terms of trying to ensure that its citizens are healthy, which currently clearly isn't the case. If anything I think it could be argued that the government hasn't done enough to ensure that its citizens are healthy due to the skyrocketing obesity rates in this country. What I mean is, instead of putting up regulations now that some 66% population is obese or overweight, they could be making it easier to access organic and natural foods, which currently is far more expensive than the processed crap. It should really start in the schools and if you have kids eating healthy then that cycle continues as they grow into adults.

The problem is we live in a very fast paced society and people simply have just stopped caring about themselves when it comes to food in addition to the enormous portion sizes that have continued to grow since I was a kid. Eating healthy in this country is not only a challenge because of the costs to buy organic and natural foods but also because folks don't set aside TIME to eat healthy. I don't care how crazy my day is.... I have to set aside some time to eat something half decent. Combine that with the fact that we eat out far more than in the past, and it's not difficult to see how health becomes an issue. I mean I'm sure you've got folks eating burgers and fries almost daily, where as before that was something you had as a treat AND in normal portion sizes. Now the burgers that are served in some places could feed two people easily. <_< Smh

You do have a point there, but I believe it is a combination of many factors. A life of poor eating habits, lack of personal responsibility, and residing in an impoverished area, which the goverment can't really control. Regarding responsibility of goverment, that is defnitely up for debate.

You do have a point there, but I believe it is a combination of many factors. A life of poor eating habits, lack of personal responsibility, and residing in an impoverished area, which the goverment can't really control. Regarding responsibility of goverment, that is defnitely up for debate.

You're absolutely right. "Gubment" can't control some things, but it can certainly do more to steer folks in the right direction. I think the assumption is that people are competent enough to know what they're putting in their bodies. Unfortunately many people aren't. Of course that goes back to lack of personal responsibility.

Regarding the responsibility of gubment it's debatable mainly because I don't think folks see obesity as a "imminent threat" and therefore they become defensive and think that "gubment" is just trying to control them. The reality is that an overweight person is generally not able to perform at their peak level, which includes working and making a living. That person is likely to have health issues which will spill into their work life (they may not be able to work) and so now they're at home or working reduced hours. That means more of a tax burden on other taxpayers which is an overall drain on the country, lowers our productivity as a country and also increases our healthcare costs since said person may not be able to pay for their coverage and so it may be supplemented again by the taxpayers. I don't think people make the connections (both direct and indirect) when someone is overweight or obese and they just think okay that person is fat, big deal. It's really amazing how big of a chain someone's weight can be on other factors of their lives and other lives.

joe

LOL... Well me personally, I draw the line in the sand with myself, thus "gubment" doesn't need to draw it for me. It's kind of like the old dining halls in college. You go there and you can eat pretty much whatever you want. The problem is some folks didn't know where that line was drawn and they'd eat whatever... I mean really, soda for breakfast in the morning?? Sure, it's there and you can have it but does it make sense to have that in the morning on a regular basis? Or that person that goes to McDonald's and loads up on cheeseburgers with the excuse that he can't afford anything else. Everybody is drawing the line in the sand but many are clearly taking the easy way out... That's the problem... We've lost sense of eating things in moderation.

Archived