what lines will benefit from well these?

qjtransitmaster

You do realize the Ferry crosses thru a busy waterway right? What happens when you have this boat bus vs a multi ton cargo ship? Why would I risk my life crossing from SI to Manhattan on these little boats compared to the current boats? Wouldn't it be simpler to have the ferries carry the buses instead?

Well that is an interesting take. Initially I thought they would have been better used on smaller waterways by upper manhattan and queens but you have an interesting take. Buses carried on the boats may work IF the boats are upgraded to High speed service and get upgraded frequency however that would work better with intercity transit between NE and LI. But it won't work with infrequent service otherwise the concept dies. I understand the waterway. The main reason why Upgrades in this regard may make it feasible for SI. However I am still waiting for CDTA's explanation on how these can work on X14,X10 and other North shore express lines. I really wouldn't put those on express lines but maybe he knows something I don't.

I'm glad others share this thought.

About that...

Anyway, I could see this perhaps working a tourist shuttle, but not for regular service. I for one wouldn't want to ride a bus submerged in water daily.

Certain models are in fact being configured for public transit operation.

I am currently looking into that and once I finish my research I will tell you but so far some go 8 knots. Others that are faster I am looking for that. Another way would be to link upper manhattan with astoria vernon blvd example a bus like this can serve 86th or 96th street in manhattan and then go directly to roosevelt island. Example. Another is to go to vernon blvd and link with Q19 just like that without going to 125th street is another implementation. Others I haven't came up with yet. I heard that some companies will customize it for transit. So they may be able to get a speed upgrade allowing em to actually kill the SI ferry. However the current ones I know of are best with the others.

I am questioning where they can go myself. College point to hunts point anyone? :lol:

Lets put it like this...

The ferry takes about 25 minutes to cross the bay and goes about 30 knots. Imagine how long its gonna take to cross the bay doing 8 knots. Plus those ferry engines are pretty much the size of a car and push out some real power.

Besides, those ferries are built to carry from 1,000 people (the Austen-class boats, the smallest ones) from to well over 3,000 people (JFK & Andrew Barberi). How are you gonna replace those and have them fit on the streets at the same time, especially around lower Manhattan

Its not feasible.

Well that is an interesting take. Initially I thought they would have been better used on smaller waterways by upper manhattan and queens but you have an interesting take. Buses carried on the boats may work IF the boats are upgraded to High speed service and get upgraded frequency

I don't see any advantage to the boats carrying the buses. If everything's frequent, you just have the people transfer like they normally do: Bus-ferry-bus/subway on the other end. And if it's infrequent, then you're holding up the ferry to wait for the bus connection (which you can do without having the bus physically on the boat)

Lets put it like this...

The ferry takes about 25 minutes to cross the bay and goes about 30 knots. Imagine how long its gonna take to cross the bay doing 8 knots. Plus those ferry engines are pretty much the size of a car and push out some real power.

Besides, those ferries are built to carry from 1,000 people (the Austen-class boats, the smallest ones) from to well over 3,000 people (JFK & Andrew Barberi). How are you gonna replace those and have them fit on the streets at the same time, especially around lower Manhattan

Its not feasible.

Actually the SI ferry can only go 16 knots.

The only routes I can see these benefit is using them for QM16/17 downtown service. But here in NYC overall, ima have to agree with ENY. But, I do see where QJ is coming from when thinking "outside the box". Thinking that was, I see 2 practical uses for here in NYC:

Midtown ferry service. Instead of running ferries and connecting bus services, these could combine the two. But the next idea may actually work here: Tours! They could combine tour buses and tour boats (thing a combination of Grey Line and Circle line!) Tourists would eat this up!

The only routes I can see these benefit is using them for QM16/17 downtown service. But here in NYC overall, ima have to agree with ENY. But, I do see where QJ is coming from when thinking "outside the box". Thinking that was, I see 2 practical uses for here in NYC:

Midtown ferry service. Instead of running ferries and connecting bus services, these could combine the two. But the next idea may actually work here: Tours! They could combine tour buses and tour boats (thing a combination of Grey Line and Circle line!) Tourists would eat this up!

Your right on QM16/17 it can benefit those lines I wasn't thinking about QM16/17 but ok. That can work. It will allow them to just go on manhattan beach bypassing the bridge restriction completely.

To be honest like you said it can work on QM16/17 downtown service. Another would be Q103 by linking it to heavy crosstowns and points of interest in manhattan while bypassing congestion on FDR and having to go around on the bridge ridership can increase. Or allow select M86 trips to cross to astoria and absorb Q103 currently without that type of bus it's impractical. It can let BX27 go to college point without having to go around and use Q44. Heck one step further it can go beyond to LGA but I am not completely sure on the route afterwards. So I will just finish my data mining and report back with more info.

Not that I would endorse the idea, but throwing it out there (I mean, I doubt we'll get those buses any time in the near future, so this is basically a fanstasy): the Q100 could be extended from Rikers Island to Hunts' Point, and there could be some kind of bus route linking Williamsburg/Greenpoint and Manhattan (I know there are already ferries that do that)

Not that I would endorse the idea, but throwing it out there (I mean, I doubt we'll get those buses any time in the near future, so this is basically a fanstasy): the Q100 could be extended from Rikers Island to Hunts' Point, and there could be some kind of bus route linking Williamsburg/Greenpoint and Manhattan (I know there are already ferries that do that)

WOW Q100 to hunts point that's a new one interesting too but wouldn't rikers island be a deterrant? As for greenpoint to manhattan doesn't that be awfully close to the midtown tunnel. Let me guess rush hour right?

Archived