Working on holidays

Via Garibaldi 8

With the holidays coming up and one here tomorrow, a thought popped up about how it works with B/Os and being out and such. Now my uncle generally always had most of the holidays off especially as I became older so I didn't think about what happens too much other than the fact that the fillers obviously cover those days and those with the most seniority get first dibs, but how does it work with the fillers? Are they forced to work entire days on say Thanksgiving and other holidays or do they get half days or what? Normally I'd ask my uncle about this nonsense but I haven't talked to him in months and it would be rather awkward calling him up and suddenly asking that question :lol:, not to mention that I think it's a good topic to discuss anyway...

If the holiday falls on our RDO (Regular Day Off) we are off regardless of seniority. As for those who fill in more than likely they work the entire day, last Christmas I worked the boat on the Bx15 with a 6pm report and cleared at 2:30am. There's no such thing as half days here lol.

If the holiday falls on our RDO (Regular Day Off) we are off regardless of seniority. As for those who fill in more than likely they work the entire day, last Christmas I worked the boat on the Bx15 with a 6pm report and cleared at 2:30am. There's no such thing as half days here lol.

lol... Sucks royally... So in short the day is basically shot... I was thinking about last year when I went to the city for dinner for Thanksgiving... The express bus B/Os seemed a bit sad... It must suck on those days... I just assumed that they found a way to work out their schedule to spend a little time with family or whatever.

Huh??? What do you mean by "on their traditional day?"

Celebrating Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving, celebrating Christmas on Christmas...

Also, just to clarify, if you have a run that's normally Monday-Friday, on holidays where the buses run on a Sunday schedule, would you get the day off? or would you just be put on the extra list?

What is the rate of pay on holidays. Most agencies in California (the few that run) have it at 2X Overtime, or average $50-$60 based on a regular average of $30-40 for overtime.

With the holidays coming up and one here tomorrow, a thought popped up about how it works with B/Os and being out and such. Now my uncle generally always had most of the holidays off especially as I became older so I didn't think about what happens too much other than the fact that the fillers obviously cover those days and those with the most seniority get first dibs, but how does it work with the fillers? Are they forced to work entire days on say Thanksgiving and other holidays or do they get half days or what? Normally I'd ask my uncle about this nonsense but I haven't talked to him in months and it would be rather awkward calling him up and suddenly asking that question :lol:, not to mention that I think it's a good topic to discuss anyway...

Consider telling him to join, or would you find that awkward? :lol:

lol... Sucks royally... So in short the day is basically shot... I was thinking about last year when I went to the city for dinner for Thanksgiving... The express bus B/Os seemed a bit sad... It must suck on those days... I just assumed that they found a way to work out their schedule to spend a little time with family or whatever.

Yes, but if it was me, I'd be happy to provide the service, especiaally if my pay was doubled.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to be regularliy courteous. Also, in the past, I've given some of my favorite B/O's gifts, such as retail gift cards or transit items. Anyway, I would advise against actual items to consume, as I've seen B/O's throw away suspicious items.

You get an extra 8 hours of pay OR a vacation day added to your bank for working a holiday. For New Year, July 4, Thanksgiving, and Christmas you also get an additional $2/hr for actual time worked.

MTA employees are not allowed to accept gifts or tips from customers. If they are taking it, they are doing it at their own risk and potentially putting their jobs in danger. So don't be offended when I won't take your Christmas card, but you never know for sure who else is watching or listening.

You get an extra 8 hours of pay OR a vacation day added to your bank for working a holiday. For New Year, July 4, Thanksgiving, and Christmas you also get an additional $2/hr for actual time worked.

MTA employees are not allowed to accept gifts or tips from customers. If they are taking it, they are doing it at their own risk and potentially putting their jobs in danger. So don't be offended when I won't take your Christmas card, but you never know for sure who else is watching or listening.

I see, thanks.

That sucks about the gifts though. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of everyone.

Not sure how they do things at buses but at RTO we pick holiday jobs separately. If you normally work that day of the week, you need to pick a job unless you have enough seniority to pick it off (basically the balance of weekday vs weekend crews).

Its about the same here at surface.

What is the rate of pay on holidays. Most agencies in California (the few that run) have it at 2X Overtime, or average $50-$60 based on a regular average of $30-40 for overtime.

Consider telling him to join, or would you find that awkward? :lol:

Ha! It would be pretty awkward... I don't think this would be his cup of tea, but hey who knows? He's definitely into cars, buses and trains. Years ago I remember he had a whole train set set up and he had an old classic that he'd drive to 100th street back in the old days when I'd go to work with him on occasion on Saturdays. A while back I did see him doing the M23 so I know he transferred to Quill from 100th street (Tuskegee) at some point.

Yes, but if it was me, I'd be happy to provide the service, especiaally if my pay was doubled.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to be regularliy courteous. Also, in the past, I've given some of my favorite B/O's gifts, such as retail gift cards or transit items. Anyway, I would advise against actual items to consume, as I've seen B/O's throw away suspicious items.

Yeah there seems to be always a decent amount of OT though. My uncle would work a lot of hours.

A Christmas card is not a gift .

The gifts thing is not terrorist paranoia, but it's more of a conflict of interest issue.. many jobs are like this; when I worked at a hospital for a summer I was also instructed to refuse any gifts or other offerings from patients and their families.. some people can consider even little things like Christmas cards a gift, and especially at the MTA you never know who is watching..

Archived