Nightmare @ the Lincoln Tunnel 11/12/2012

Juan833Blue

I heard during the traffic reports this morning that there was an accident near the Lincoln Tunnel Helix involving a Martz Bus MCI D4505 and an NJT MCI D4000 which was on the 168 (based out of Oradell Garage) to New York. 19 people were injured in this accident, 2 of them seriously and the traffic tieups headed to New York this morning was horrible!!! My Question is, it was an NJT MCI D4000 based out of Oradell Garage, but I cannot see what Bus number it was, let me know.

As if it weren't bad enough, another accident (an 8 vehicle accident including an NJT Bus) happened as well earlier Today, as if it weren't bad enough already, ugh!!!

I used to have to deal with the Lincoln Tunnel and I'm glad that ordeal is over. My commute was less than an hour today, including my walk from the bus to my office.

I used to have to deal with the Lincoln Tunnel and I'm glad that ordeal is over. My commute was less than an hour today, including my walk from the bus to my office.

Lincoln Tunnel's traffic was always horrible. I always try to avoid it.

Wish the injured people a speedy recovery.

Lincoln Tunnel's traffic was always horrible. I always try to avoid it.

Wish the injured people a speedy recovery.

Not all the time.

I have been NJT 126 when MTA implement S89 bus, first day, after taking S89 to HBLR to Hoboken during non-rush hour, NJT #126 had smooth ride to PABT in Lincoln Tunnel.

Yeah one my co-workers lives in Montclair. Took him 5 hours to get in with the bus because the trains near him are still out. He got in almost around 12:00... Smh

I admit NJ is a completely different animal UNLIKE in queens SE and brooklyn NJT rail stations have greater distances and buses as a result don't appear as redundant. With exceptions like 873/871 both were drastically cut to unusable levels. 874 only destroyed 871 eliminating most of 871's ridership base in one blow. Most NJ buses hit the highway and DO NOT directly compete with train's nonstop portion en rte to manhattan. Many people prefer the train going into newark and hudson BUT to NYC they use buses. Except for the case of the NEC which is way faster depending on where you board. I felt sorry for your friend damn the tunnel tends to do that man.

S89 only runs at rush hour. Plus NJ is a completely different animal.

MOD please merge my post

He's saying he caught the #126 off-peak. The last S89 gets to 34th Street at 9:19 IIRC (though I think it might've been 9:22 when they first implemented it). Then you have to wait for the HBLR, and then it's like a 25-30 minute ride to Hoboken, and then by the time he got the #126, it was probably past 10, which is off-peak.

On a side note, does the transfer from the HBLR take off any portion of the fare on the #126, since it's a 2-zone ride? I'm just curious if I were to use it to get into Manhattan how much it would cost. Would it knock down the fare from $3.20 to $1.70?

boy oh boy, I was few buses away from the 1st accident. My initial guess was that a bus had crapped out but things got serious when southbound 495 was closed and few ambulances passed by. I saw the accident and it wasn't preety.... :(

one of memorable commute into city

Considering how bad the accident was, it was incredible that nobody was killed.

Not all the time.

I have been NJT 126 when MTA implement S89 bus, first day, after taking S89 to HBLR to Hoboken during non-rush hour, NJT #126 had smooth ride to PABT in Lincoln Tunnel.

I was speaking from a driver's perspective. I would expect buses having no problems via tunnels since they usually have a dedicated lane. If you'd drive through that tunnel during rush hours and even peak, the traffic is ridiculous.

I remember one time that I was on a Greyhound bus a few years ago coming back from I think Myrtle Beach SC, and was stuck in traffic waiting to go in the Lincoln when our bus (a 1998-2000 MCI D4500) had sideswiped a Coach USA Novabus RTS due to the narrow lanes. The driver had to fix the mirror before we reached 42th street. That's how bad the traffic was.

And when the bus lanes get messed up you can forget it...

Now I know the true reason why secaucus jct was built LOL. Buses to NYC can detour and stop at sec for trains into NYC bypassing the lincoln clusterf**k. And giving more flexibility to reach hoboken :lol::lol: Some NJT buses when traffic is messed up they go to the train station instead and let people switch to trains for NYC then they DH to NYC to turn into another line.

I had the pleasure of sitting for one hour on an inbound 137 express from Toms River the other night. I really wish NJT would give the option of stopping at Secaucus or even better, PATH, when delays at the tunnel are long. They should be able to notify the buses when there are inbound delays to dropoff at JSQ PATH, and have PATH cross honor recipts, though I'd be more than willing to pay another fare not to sit in that traffic.

Either that or have a full time inbound bus lane. I dont think the Port Authority would like the latter since they make alot of revenue from motorists.

Where would you put a full time inbound/outbound bus lane. There is no room to expand 495 nor the money to dig another tube.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it everytime this subject comes up:

1,700 buses use the PABT, Lincoln Tunnel and 495 during the AM/PM rush. There are capacity issues at the PABT and this will continue to get worse as long as more and more buses get added and nothing is done to add gate space for them.

Where would you put a full time inbound/outbound bus lane. There is no room to expand 495 nor the money to dig another tube.

1,700 buses use the PABT, Lincoln Tunnel and 495 during the AM/PM rush. There are capacity issues at the PABT and this will continue to get worse as long as more and more buses get added and nothing is done to add gate space for them.

Which is why more buses should stop at PATH since effectively, PABT is "full".

Which is why more buses should stop at PATH since effectively, PABT is "full".

PATH is pretty much full at capacity at rush hour peaks.

Its only gonna get worse with Christie cancelling the Trans-Hudson Express ARC Tunnel !

Hopefully Amtrak can pull off the Gateway Project as this is badly needed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Project.

PANYNJ needs to get off its ass and another Manhattan bus terminal needs to be made to take the pressure off of PABT

Archived