The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^What Gherigfan1 said^^^^ I don't know of any yard that allows practice with the signals. It's too risky. The chances of another Livonia Yard lead derailment is not that slim.

We practiced call ons and key by at Livonia yard on two seperate days while in schoolcar. I dont know about the derailment possibilities, but they didnt even hesitate on letting us do it!

That was ta27 doing their signal practical.

Cool! Hope everyone passed!!!

TA-24...

We all passed our Road Practical today.

Off to the Crew Office we go.

See ya'll out on the road!

Congrats dude!! Welcome to the road! Try not to learn a lot of bad habits!!!

^^^^What Gherigfan1 said^^^^ I don't know of any yard that allows practice with the signals. It's too risky. The chances of another Livonia Yard lead derailment is not that slim.
my class practice key bys and call ons at livonia on the lead. I think every classes does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TA-24...

We all passed our Road Practical today.

Off to the Crew Office we go.

See ya'll out on the road!

Congratulations, good luck and like they say take your time out there learning the lines and make sure you have those timers clear in front of you.  There is always a reason to be late but hiting a signal is pretty much inexcusable. Oh and another thing if you dont  know ask  there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Etrain

Thank you to everyone for your wisdom, support and guidance. I'll make sure to keep my school car habits. I figure as long as my operation is guided by safety/rule, there should be no issue. I WILL be asking questions.

Good luck and be safe to all who are just starting and still in school car.

The TSS's (and possibly even a supt) are on board when this is going on, so if anything like a derailment were to occur and be the fault of RTO, it's their responsibility. This is the only reason it's allowed.

The yards can allow it at their discretion based on needs of the service. Livonia can be used during the middle of the day because there's not a lot of traffic in and out of it (as opposed to other yards like Westchester, 239, E180 that have much more going on during the day)

I wasn't really referring to the practical which is the only time the Supt would be present. I was referring to a regular day of instruction in which the yard is used yes, no doubt about it, but everyone has been leery since the Livonia Yard lead derailment back in May mainly because it is common knowledge that the tracks in most yards and their leads are not very well maintained at all.

The practical is different and a very true mandatory exception to this concept of thinking because new Train Operators must be tested for qualifications of duty.

Edited by RTOPRO

TA 26 passed all yard practical and signal exam last week. Next up is some yard posting for 7 days and then road ops for 5 days and after that released to the yard for 3 months/60 days technically. Great job so far TA 26.....infamous....... Thanks for the great instruction Santiago and McDuffie......You will always be on our minds.

TA 26 passed all yard practical and signal exam last week. Next up is some yard posting for 7 days and then road ops for 5 days and after that released to the yard for 3 months/60 days technically. Great job so far TA 26.....infamous....... Thanks for the great instruction Santiago and McDuffie......You will always be on our minds.

Were you guys at Livonia today? Congrats TA 26. Everyone looked so relieved...

• 2 weeks later...

What time does school car usally end during the first few weeks i know we have to be there @ 7:30 but what time do they let you out? I will be commuting from suffolk county just want an idea of when i'll be home for dinner.

Now once you get assigned to your class and you start making your rounds throughout the system you likely will be an AM class but don't be surprised if you ended up being one of the few PM classes and if so adjust accordingly.

Now once you get assigned to your class and you start making your rounds throughout the system you likely will be an AM class but don't be surprised if you ended up being one of the few PM classes and if so adjust accordingly.

so getting tickets to a concert 3 months into school car would be out of the question. It's on a weekday @7pm  

Not until 

so getting tickets to a concert 3 months into school car would be out of the question. It's on a weekday @7pm  

Not until you go through the first week or so at 130 Livingston followed by the next week or so at PS 248 where your induction mates will be split off into your separate classes with your assigned TSS instructors. Once you know who your instructors are more than likely Alex LaBianca will provide you with the course thesis which will list whether your reporting times will be AMs or PMs. They will be Mon thru Friday.

i feel you bro. i got tickets to Matchbox Twenty and Goo Goo Dolls on a saturday, and i'll probably have to sell those

you're off sun sat in school car. You should be good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta