The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

23 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

Road day on the R46. So far it's my favorite train to operate! Took the quiz afterwards, got 2 wrong! Tomorrow I will be visiting RCC in midtown followed by fire school on Friday at Coney Island.

Have fun at Ivory Tower lol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ivory Tower was cool but fire school was a lot more informative. I think I'll install a smoke detector in my home now lol...

Another R46 road ops on Monday followed by a midterm exam on Friday. My weakest area is equipment knowledge...keep forgetting the circuit breakers and which cars have/don't have compressors. I think I got the signals down more or less. Had 1 wrong on the 3rd simulator quiz...I thought it was a GT auto while it was actually a repeater... But then the TSS asked me if I could define the 4 points, and I was able to. He said I was good to go. The funny thing is that I triple checked and still couldn't see the REP plate on the signal... I guess I'll be mindful going into the final quiz

Edited by nipaaaa

19 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

Ivory Tower was cool but fire school was a lot more informative. I think I'll install a smoke detector in my home now lol...

Another R46 road ops on Monday followed by a midterm exam on Friday. My weakest area is equipment knowledge...keep forgetting the circuit breakers and which cars have/don't have compressors. I think I got the signals down more or less. Had 1 wrong on the 3rd simulator quiz...I thought it was a GT auto while it was actually a repeater... But then the TSS asked me if I could define the 4 points, and I was able to. He said I was good to go. The funny thing is that I triple checked and still couldn't see the REP plate on the signal... I guess I'll be mindful going into the final quiz

R32/42 = Odd - O for Oxygen (Has Compressor) / Even - E for Electricity (Has Converter)
R46 = B (Odd cars) do not have Compressors, only the highest numbered Odd car in a unit might have a Compressor if needed.

R68/68A = Lowest Odd numbered car in a unit does not have a Compressor. Meaning 6 compressors in an 8-car consist.

I'm also a bit weak on circuit breakers, but that's what I've been drilling myself on.

Hello everyone, I'm currently on the list waiting to be called for my medical and I'm very excited just thinking about the job. I just wanted to ask those who are currently in school or already on the road which division is tougher and why? Also I live in Brooklyn near the three train and was wondering if I should choose the A division since it's there and I'm more familiar with the stops. Just asking, I would greatly appreciate any info.

1 hour ago, rondread445 said:

Hello everyone, I'm currently on the list waiting to be called for my medical and I'm very excited just thinking about the job. I just wanted to ask those who are currently in school or already on the road which division is tougher and why? Also I live in Brooklyn near the three train and was wondering if I should choose the A division since it's there and I'm more familiar with the stops. Just asking, I would greatly appreciate any info.

Mostly depends on where you live since you are in Brooklyn your better off picking the B Division due to most of the terminals being over there and that will make your life way easier. If that doesn't really matter to you then I'll describe the divisions to you.

A Division is packed tight with close headways and short running times especially Lexington Avenue It had less equipment and most terminals are in The Bronx. Rush hour is tougher due to HEAVY crowds and many trains running and other scenarios. Also if 1 thing goes wrong your whole trip might be screwed such as a stalled train or gap fillers not coming out at 14th, so generally it pretty tough at certain times.

B Division is more laid back with the times between trains and it doesn't stress hard at times like A Division does. It has more trains, lines and routes. It is more old school with towers leaving you to the responsibility of receiving your own line up. Schoolcar is longer here and the routes are longer. In the A Division you only amount to 3 trips max except the 7 line where it has 5 and B Division will have generally have 4 trips. 

So all in all you can choose any division you feel like if you get the choice but if I were you, I'd pick the B Division for easier travel reasons.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Mostly depends on where you live since you are in Brooklyn your better off picking the B Division due to most of the terminals being over there and that will make your life way easier. If that doesn't really matter to you then I'll describe the divisions to you.

A Division is packed tight with close headways and short running times especially Lexington Avenue It had less equipment and most terminals are in The Bronx. Rush hour is tougher due to HEAVY crowds and many trains running and other scenarios. Also if 1 thing goes wrong your whole trip might be screwed such as a stalled train or gap fillers not coming out at 14th, so generally it pretty tough at certain times.

B Division is more laid back with the times between trains and it doesn't stress hard at times like A Division does. It has more trains, lines and routes. It is more old school with towers leaving you to the responsibility of receiving your own line up. Schoolcar is longer here and the routes are longer. In the A Division you only amount to 3 trips max except the 7 line where it has 5 and B Division will have generally have 4 trips. 

So all in all you can choose any division you feel like if you get the choice but if I were you, I'd pick the B Division for easier travel reasons.

Thank you so much! I've always wondered how many trips T/O's have on the daily. And you're right about when it comes to travel, I'm just so used to my number lines 🥺. Thanks again Biggie.

For those in this post who are YX and are working Queens Espiecally switching at 179.. If you have a relay on Two track ...Here’s a little rhyme that will help... “Red Circle K no IJ” You cannot Key those.. Please Utlize that lever associated with said Signal thanks!...

11 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Took the midterm and passed with a 90%, aced my signal pre-test. Ready for the signal exam next thursday.

Geeeeeet itttttttt. Have fire training tonight. They weren't expecting us though, I blame jay... 

Edited by LIRRMedford

On 1/25/2019 at 4:01 PM, LIRRMedford said:

Geeeeeet itttttttt. Have fire training tonight. They weren't expecting us though, I blame jay... 

Oh shit, I was there too!
It's not my fault!
Wait, which one were you? And don't say "the tall one", all ya'll are tall.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:29 PM, nipaaaa said:

The signal definitions can all be broken down into two parts once identified.

1. Where can they be found?

2. What do you do?

Repeaters

1. Mimics the aspect of associated signal usually around a curve

2. In full view of the Train operator, usually on the off side

3. Has no stop arm

4. Has a signal plate bearing the letters "REP"

Likewise GT35 sign

1. Indicates the beginning of time control territory usually found around curves and certain other areas (downgrades, etc.)

2. Enforces a predetermined speed inidicating he allowable speed in miles per hour or by a GT sign.

49 minutes ago, Dave2836 said:

The signal definitions can all be broken down into two parts once identified.

1. Where can they be found?

2. What do you do?

Repeaters

1. Mimics the aspect of associated signal usually around a curve

2. In full view of the Train operator, usually on the off side

3. Has no stop arm

4. Has a signal plate bearing the letters "REP"

Likewise GT35 sign

1. Indicates the beginning of time control territory usually found around curves and certain other areas (downgrades, etc.)

2. Enforces a predetermined speed inidicating he allowable speed in miles per hour or by a GT sign.

Thank you! I passed the first signal test and practical today. All that's left is the final yard practical this Sat before I start YX next Monday. Everyone in my class aced the test as well. TB-07!

18 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Just came back home from Concourse Yard. I passed the final yard practical and so did everyone in my class. I feel like I can breathe and sleep again.

10 weeks down, 14 more to go

Congrats! When you do cuts and adds are you on or off the train? How hard has this been overall? Signal test? 

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Congrats! When you do cuts and adds are you on or off the train? How hard has this been overall? Signal test? 

You're on the train for cuts and adds, right at the middle cars. Overall I would have to say it was really intense. They cram you with all this information and expect you to pass 4 things in 10 weeks:

1) signal test (15 multiple choice, 10 fill in)
2) midterm (40 multiple choice)
3) yard practical 1: prepare for yard movement
4) yard practical 2: prepare for customer service

The stuff ain't rocket science but the problem is the lack of constant exposure to equipment that makes it hard to learn about them. You can read about trains all you want from the books, but until you get to touch them, it's hard to remember stuff. For me, I felt that I didn't have enough time but I overlocked my brain to work twice as hard in order to compensate for the lack of hands on learning. Doing so, was really taxing. I felt mentally exhausted every day. Of course carrying 30 pounds on your back while wearing 5 pound boots don't help either. The signals themselves just take a lot of daily rote memorization. But if you write them out every night (especially the wordy ones), you actually will somehow know them by week 10 (miraculously).

All in all, it's amazing that the majority of people pass those 4 things in just 10 weeks.

When people said schoolcar is intense, it really is. Just the first 10 weeks though.

Edited by nipaaaa

14 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

You're on the train for cuts and adds, right at the middle cars. Overall I would have to say it was really intense. They cram you with all this information and expect you to pass 4 things in 10 weeks:

1) signal test (15 multiple choice, 10 fill in)
2) midterm (40 multiple choice)
3) yard practical 1: prepare for yard movement
4) yard practical 2: prepare for customer service

The stuff ain't rocket science but the problem is the lack of constant exposure to equipment that makes it hard to learn about them. You can read about trains all you want from the books, but until you get to touch them, it's hard to remember stuff. For me, I felt that I didn't have enough time but I overlocked my brain to work twice as hard in order to compensate for the lack of hands on learning. The signals themselves just take a lot of daily rote memorization. But if you write them out every night (especially the wordy ones), you actually will somehow know them by week 10 (miraculously).

All in all, it's amazing that the majority of people pass those 4 things in just 10 weeks.

I see. I hear the tss'es are willing to offer extra help if needed.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:21 PM, MarkGuy said:

I see. I hear the tss'es are willing to offer extra help if needed.

The "tutoring" is offered when you fail the quizzes, usually two hours after class is over and you get 2+1 OT.

Keep in mind though, the quizzes are kept inn your file and should stuff go wrong in the real world, the failing quizzes may be used against you.  Just food for thought in case anyone had the inkling to fail every quiz for a measily $100.

Today was day 1 of 7 for station switching. We had to switch northbound M and R trains to the southbound track at 71 ave. Other than making 2 moves, the rest of the day was spent on field trip excursions to different stations and looking at the storage tracks associated with them. Overall, a LOT of walking, my feet, shoulders, and back are destroyed. Gonna enjoy (suffer) the last week together with my class before splitting up for YX.

Edited by nipaaaa

2 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

The "tutoring" is offered when you fail the quizzes, usually two hours after class is over and you get 2+1 OT.

Keep in mind though, the quizzes are kept inn your file and should stuff go wrong in the real world, the failing quizzes may be used against you.  Just food for thought in case anyone had the inkling to fail every quiz for a measily $100.

Who the hell would knowingly choose to fail those quizzes when that lazy attitude will bring them closer to getting cut from schoolcar?

That aside, this sounds good they offer the help. When i was going through bus operator training last year, they didn't seem much to want to offer additional help (enviro was not as supportive for hardworking, but struggling students.)

It's also, on the other hand, a bit petty they hold that against you. Not every body learns at the same speed. But if they're giving it their all, that shoud be looked at too.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, nipaaaa said:

Today was day 1 of 7 for station switching. We had to switch northbound M and R trains to the southbound track at 71 ave. Other than making 2 moves, the rest of the day was spent on field trip excursions to different stations and looking at the storage tracks associated with them. Overall, a LOT of walking, my feet, shoulders, and back are destroyed. Gonna enjoy (suffer) the last week together with my class before splitting up for YX.

Wait until you gotta do the week of yard familiarization smh lol more walking and talking! Hopefully the weather is better! 

Before I go into yard posting, I'm going to summarize station switching week for the last 2 days. My original TSS had to be somewhere else so I had TSS Barnwell, Chaudry, and Adams for the last 2 days at 179 st and Church Ave. They were some of the most chillest people to work with and we were pretty much chilling for the most part. Out of sight out of mind.

Today was day 1/15 of yard posting @ Pitkin yd from 1230 to 2030. Had the pleasure of working with T.O Figueroa. Learned a lot and made me feel comfortable taking 8 cars out of the barn (first time ever!). Waited 6 hours and had lunch before doing that move. Overall a very relaxing day, 10/10! 

Edited by nipaaaa

Day 2/15 of yard posting @ Jamaica yd from 1500 to 2300. Had a great day posting with T.O Lewis, great vibes, lots of info, never rushing. He helped me out with my operation by actually guiding my hand on the master controller. I wished more teachers did that because sometimes I can't process what they're saying while simultaneously operating since I'm looking out for signals and reading iron. He can't stress safety enough and made me realize that I've been taking it for granted. Made 4 moves today. 

Edited by nipaaaa