The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Midterm review today at 38 St Yard. It was way too effing cold, and the heat in the Schoolcar trailer died. 

last day of yard posting today, back to school car schedule tomorrow! Signal test on Friday...

Good luck on your Signal Test. How was Yard Posting? We start Friday.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah 38th Street Yd nice place in the Middle of nowhere! I wonder if DeLuca will still be on duty?

If he is get to KNOW his voice very well! If you working late PMS or Midnight's yer gonna hear him if you are anywhere in that area...  :)

Duke is the man, last time I saw him he was at Murphy.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mediccjh" data-cid="635897" data-time="1358890624"><p>

Midterm review today at 38 St Yard. It was way too effing cold, and the heat in the Schoolcar trailer died. <br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Good luck on your Signal Test. How was Yard Posting? We start Friday.</p></blockquote>

Yard posting was a great experience. You'll get to see the way some seasoned operators operate, sometimes.by rule, but 90% of them have their own way to do things. Everyone I worked with was very eager to help and teach me anything I needed to know. Overall it was great and I got a lot of practice on the trains and on sitting on my ass in the crew rooms!!!

Went for a surprise joyride on an R46 today via the (RR) from Jamaica Yard to 95 St and back. 15 stops, and I only overshot one. I think I have overcome my braking issues. 

Midterm tomorrow at P.S. 248. We're ready for it. 

Your train went by me today i was in the relay...

I'm afraid to ask......

It could be because they want these TO's to be on point when they get out on the road....

ATS in the A Div can make or Break you that i can tell you!

I see nothing wrong with it, wish we had more training like that back in 2001!

Remember the folks we work for are very "reactive" than "Proactive"...

Edited by RTOMan

I wouldnt mind getting a little extra training! As RTOMan said and as ive been hearing, ATS is serious. Its very easy to make a mistake and with ATS they can monitor just about everything in the A division.

Took our signal test/practical today....I'm proud to say we all passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="beneka" data-cid="637066" data-time="1359147767"><p>

I wouldnt mind getting a little extra training! As RTOMan said and as ive been hearing, ATS is serious. Its very easy to make a mistake and with ATS they can monitor just about everything in the A division.<br />

<br />

Took our signal test/practical today....I'm proud to say we all passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p></blockquote> some more training wouldn't be a bad thing. Even still after 2 weeks of road ops then 3 weeks of posting, you should not be making the same mistake 3 days in a row. Someone dropped the ball on that one.

Now that yard posting is over and the STRESS of passing the signal exam/practical is behind us im starting to feel like a real T/O. 2 weeks of road ops ahead. school car is flying by. All you guys in school car yard posting make sure you use the down time to get the signals perfected. yes there will be plenty down time so use it wisely

By any chance, does anyone know who took an 8-car R160 down CPW/8th Avenue at about 2pm? Didnt see if there was a class up front (I was on a (D) that was pulling in at 59th while that train was pulling in) but I saw a T/O (striped shirt with a jacket) in the 4th car cab with another employee sitting in the 4th car.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="poughkipsee" data-cid="638842" data-time="1359526491"><p>

Wonder if anyone from here was on that schoolcar train that was at Van Cortlandt about 15 min ago, just before 1am. They got kicked out quickly</p></blockquote>

Yea that was us, ta-19. We had to get out quick. Needed to make it down to NLY for our 3am clear. We just made it too. Work gangs everywhere slowed us up. Those r62's out of NLY got to be the worst in the system. Those breaks have a mind of there own. R62A tomorrow, can't wait.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pelham Bay Dave" data-cid="638615" data-time="1359484240"><p>

Ok I seen you guys I was the other TSS taking to them before hitting the road. <br />

<br />

They trying to talk me into joining school car.</p></blockquote>

If you're good with training people, have good people skills and have a lot patience, then you should try it!!!