The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Yup, practice will make you better!! During road ops i over ran a sta, i was inches away from hitting 2 signals and some nights my braking was terrible. But you will learn from it all! You'll see a big difference as the weeks pass, especially when you get to road posting!!

Man I hate the brakes on the R62's on the 3 line. Yesterday I felt like I was fighting with her on my first 4 stops. I asked for a little brake she gives me to much, I ask for a lot and she gives me to little.... By my 5th station I had her well under control. A good running brake test is the key to learning how that train will react to your brake requests when you leave the terminal.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a scare today at Times Square on the 7. Threw my reverser forward, charged up, did my brake tests and i had the lineup. Released the brakes and wrapped the master controller....after a brief pause(maybe a second) the train lurched back! Luckily my reflex was quick and pulled a full service. Not sure how it happened, but somehow the reverser drum was off centered and the reverser key had come loose after i threw it forward. A RCI and TSS raced to the train. 10 mins later they fixed it. The fact that it lurched back...and we were in a terminal had me shook!!!

Good instincts to catch it and grab brake immediately. Just be glad it wasn't Flatbush since if you roll back in that station (it's very tight) you can very easily hit the fixed stop by the bumper block (and some have done this).

Man I hate the brakes on the R62's on the 3 line. Yesterday I felt like I was fighting with her on my first 4 stops. I asked for a little brake she gives me to much, I ask for a lot and she gives me to little.... By my 5th station I had her well under control. A good running brake test is the key to learning how that train will react to your brake requests when you leave the terminal.

The 3's are a beast, but they can be tamed.

Unless you're coming into a station very fast (above 35), grab 20 pounds at the appropriate spot and hold it. If you need more, take more once you have the 20, and expect it to take a second to kick in. The key is to not let it go below 20 lbs., because when you reach to grab again, that's when you'll lose the dynamic brake and get a lot of bucking, and the delay when applying the brake.

It's very difficult to make a perfect stop with those trains but it can be done. It's actually easiest when you're going the fastest. A perfect stop with those trains, you come in fast and start by pulling the most brake, gradually back it off, and by the end you have very little and are just smoothing it out...only that's very hard to do and if you undershoot you have to let some go, and take it back about a second before you need it.

The other caveat is that every single one of those trains is slightly different (while that's true of all trains, it's especially true of the R62's) so while you can try and practice these techniques, you'll need to adjust for how that specific train reacts to grabbing brake to determine exactly when or how much you need.

Edited by SubwayGuy

The 3's are a beast, but they can be tamed.

Unless you're coming into a station very fast (above 35), grab 20 pounds at the appropriate spot and hold it. If you need more, take more once you have the 20, and expect it to take a second to kick in. The key is to not let it go below 20 lbs., because when you reach to grab again, that's when you'll lose the dynamic brake and get a lot of bucking, and the delay when applying the brake.

It's very difficult to make a perfect stop with those trains but it can be done. It's actually easiest when you're going the fastest. A perfect stop with those trains, you come in fast and start by pulling the most brake, gradually back it off, and by the end you have very little and are just smoothing it out...only that's very hard to do and if you undershoot you have to let some go, and take it back about a second before you need it.

The other caveat is that every single one of those trains is slightly different (while that's true of all trains, it's especially true of the R62's) so while you can try and practice these techniques, you'll need to adjust for how that specific train reacts to grabbing brake to determine exactly when or how much you need.

I've defintely noticed it...that while no two trains are the same, the 3's are the ones that have the most differences. I've realized that while they do suck, its all a matter of adjusting to 'em

You folks think those on the (3) are bad i had the fun of working with them when they was on the (4) when i started in 2001..

They was WORSE much worse....

Now those Redbirds they had on the (4) they was the shiznit....

I heard they were terrible when the were on the 4 line! The guy I posted with the other day was telling me!

So far just rules, tools, books & don't act like a fool down here.

@ RTOman, when I was in high school what feels like oh so many eons ago, the braking when i was riding 62's on the 4 felt reaaallly smooth. I guess I'm about to find out the Motorman, I mean T/O (hahahaha) has alot to do with that as opposed to the braking system. Enlighten on the subject if you will please...Thanks!

So far just rules, tools, books & don't act like a fool down here.

@ RTOman, when I was in high school what feels like oh so many eons ago, the braking when i was riding 62's on the 4 felt reaaallly smooth. I guess I'm about to find out the Motorman, I mean T/O (hahahaha) has alot to do with that as opposed to the braking system. Enlighten on the subject if you will please...Thanks!

The T/O also has some "say" in stopping the Train.. 

Those trains Friction brake was so strong when i worked with them.

Stopping it with ten Lbs and the train bangs, slow releasing brakes stuck brakes was common.

They had good power but when it came to stopping it oh boy..

The T/O also has some "say" in stopping the Train..

Those trains Friction brake was so strong when i worked with them.

Stopping it with ten Lbs and the train bangs, slow releasing brakes stuck brakes was common.

They had good power but when it came to stopping it oh boy..

Yeah, I've noticed that its easier to stop those trains moving faster than if you're going slow...dynamic brakes are great once u learn to get it right!

Oh so your group brought that 32 in to 207 last night and I was talking to my boy Anthony.

Yeahp. I was the one who quipped "When they make something stupid-proof, they make better stupid." (Assuming it was around 2am)

You Sat right next to me i was the guy with the Vest On i wasnt sure so i didnt ask if it was you...

It's OK. I know I'm scary-looking and all. Usually I'll reply to "medic," usually with something snarky or witty. 

Last night we took an R160 out from Jamaica Center to WTC and back twice. I was perfect on all my stops, but it was a 160.

Tonight, we'll be back at Parsons/Archer, this time for a (J)

It's OK. I know I'm scary-looking and all. Usually I'll reply to "medic," usually with something snarky or witty. 

Ha ha ha its not that at all i just dont talk to folks i dont know....

Unless its my partner, my best friend another T/O who posts here or someone i know i tend to keep to myself...

Edited by RTOMan

Last night sucked. We were on the (J) from Parsons/Archer to Broad and back. The R42 kicked my ass, in that I couldn't get it to stop where I wanted it to. The rest of my operation was fine, including the Willy B. Then, the yard kept asking us to bring the train back sooner; we got screwed out of a trip due to it.

Tonight we're on the (Q) starting at Stillwell. 

Ha ha ha its not that at all i just dont talk to folks i dont know....

Unless its my partner, my best friend another T/O who posts here or someone i know i tend to keep to myself...

I'm the same way. If someone knows me and I don't know them, I tend to get suspicious, until it is known how they know me. 

Went to Moshulu and Concourse Yards today. Having gone to HS to be an aircraft mechanic, I never really thought the process and setting for and in fixing trains would strike me in the same manner. The barns are huge like hangars and it's all still awesome. Track walk. Stepped over a few 3rd rails...which had the whole class on point after that. Switches & signals in class. While we were in CCY, a few R-68's got laid up so we cleared up while they rumbled by. Those trains are massive.

Went to Moshulu and Concourse Yards today. Having gone to HS to be an aircraft mechanic, I never really thought the process and setting for and in fixing trains would strike me in the same manner. The barns are huge like hangars and it's all still awesome. Track walk. Stepped over a few 3rd rails...which had the whole class on point after that. Switches & signals in class. While we were in CCY, a few R-68's got laid up so we cleared up while they rumbled by. Those trains are massive.

These trains really are huge!! Big difference from what you see on the platform!! Who's your TSS's if u don't mind me asking?