The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting experience last night.

Did a (F) job; did a trip on the 21 St Shuttle, then went down to Coney later. Our train was the last one through before the signals went dark at Ditmas. Got stuck at Coney for about 45 mins; ended up getting out 3 hrs late.

It's like EMS, only without carrying the land whales from the 5th floor.

Road posting on the (D) tonight, starting at BPB. 

Land whales. I know an old time EMS guy who used that term when we were shooting the breeze at New Lots Yard about 15 years ago. He used to park the ambulance by the playground over there while taking a break. I used to try to get him and his partner to come over to the TA but they had too much time in EMS. Some of the stories they used to tell us would have us in stitches. When we told them about the things we encountered in RTO with the riders they would shake their heads in amazement. Mediccjh, you've got the best of both worlds to look back on. Keep posting. You bring back good memories.

Interesting experience last night.

Did a (F) job; did a trip on the 21 St Shuttle, then went down to Coney later. Our train was the last one through before the signals went dark at Ditmas. Got stuck at Coney for about 45 mins; ended up getting out 3 hrs late.

It's like EMS, only without carrying the land whales from the 5th floor.

Road posting on the (D) tonight, starting at BPB.

Land whales.....LMAOOO!!!

Forgot to mention, met TSS Quinones last week @ 241. Dude kept it real. Know your job. Do your job. Things happen. Stay accountable. Your life won't be hell.

Yup, we met Q our first week...cool guy. Did he give you guys the guide he made? It lists point of no returns, what color aspects you'll need at key locations...etc for the A div. If not, next time u see him, ask him if he has any. It made no sensr what so ever when he gave it to us, but as we started going down the road it all started falling into place.

I saw a posting that stated that the pick for the Yard jobs was going to be affected in order to accommodate the T/O's that were going to placed in the yard for 3 months. Does that mean we'll have a set schedule for that time period - or will our schedule vary?

I saw a posting that stated that the pick for the Yard jobs was going to be affected in order to accommodate the T/O's that were going to placed in the yard for 3 months. Does that mean we'll have a set schedule for that time period - or will our schedule vary?
not sure anyone can answer that yet. This its something new that school car is doing. I suspect since you have to post at every yard, you will be bounced around from yard to yard during the 3 months. A word of advice, while working in the yards, don't pick up any bad habits from some of the old timers. It will eventually get you into trouble. Do things the schoolcar way and you'll be fine.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

I also met a T/O today that has 12 years on & still picks extra. I'm guessing the built in ot?

Its prob more of not wanting to pound the road every day.. If yer Picked XL good chance you see the road Two three times a week tops...

Some do pick it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ If yer on the board and pick up Jobs.

I was Picked XL for the Winter Pick when i was in the A Div made me some Kizna$h with Snowbird late clears...

Yes it will affect us when we pick (its in the contract) Less Yd and Station switching jobs for people to pick so they get bumped to the road. 

Some folks aren't happy about this.

So it will be up to the Crew Office to assign whomever they have where and when.

All i gotta say is say hello to PMs and Midnight's maybe since most Yd  and Station Switching Jobs on the AMs get Picked...

Land whales. I know an old time EMS guy who used that term when we were shooting the breeze at New Lots Yard about 15 years ago. He used to park the ambulance by the playground over there while taking a break. I used to try to get him and his partner to come over to the TA but they had too much time in EMS. Some of the stories they used to tell us would have us in stitches. When we told them about the things we encountered in RTO with the riders they would shake their heads in amazement. Mediccjh, you've got the best of both worlds to look back on. Keep posting. You bring back good memories.

Thanks, Trainmaster. 

Tonight was my best night. Did 2 trips on the (D), and my motorman was very happy with my operation. I'm not gonna lie; I felt like a little kid when I was on the West End Line, doing something I wanted to do when I was growing up there. 

first day out of school car. I feel official now!! We are posting for today up until next thursday with a road T/O. Im guessing after that we'll be pounding the road like everyone else!

Lol same here. When I was asked this morning in the crew room if I was a student T/O I was like nope. I'm a probationary T/O as of yesterday B-)

Yup, we met Q our first week...cool guy. Did he give you guys the guide he made? It lists point of no returns, what color aspects you'll need at key locations...etc for the A div. If not, next time u see him, ask him if he has any. It made no sensr what so ever when he gave it to us, but as we started going down the road it all started falling into place.

Nah. They said they give it to us when we road post.

Went to the Sim today. Felt like I was at 6 Flags. The snow condition w/ no wipers and no snowbrake killed me. I was like, WTF?!!! Hilarious.

Edited by kevinetics

Thanks for the insight. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I won't have a normal schedule for quite some time. I just hope there's a need for

T/O's in the "A". *Fingers crossed*

Well  from the way the previous classes went the  B division filled up  first, in my class some people didnt get the chance to pick and were placed in the A division.  Good luck to you.  Study hard and pay attention to your TSS' instructions and you will be fine.

Well  from the way the previous classes went the  B division filled up  first, in my class some people didnt get the chance to pick and were placed in the A division.  Good luck to you.  Study hard and pay attention to your TSS' instructions and you will be fine.

Thanks for the words of advice Etrain. It's been a long time coming - hope the 3/25 class has great instructors like the ones mentioned thus far.

we are off to the road. They put us on a job with another train operator for one more week. I can tell you one thing that wishlist they gave us is a bunch of crap. The only shift i didn't want, they gave me. The plus side is they gave me the highest paying job in the class with plenty of waa. I guess the breaks even out. Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

I guess they just can't accommodate you guys yet because almost everyone in my class that came out 3 weeks ago received the tour they requested from the wish list including myself. Yea I got the tour I wanted but they still sending my behind across the city when my classmate lives right in that area and they send him over my way smh.

I guess they just can't accommodate you guys yet because almost everyone in my class that came out 3 weeks ago received the tour they requested from the wish list including myself. Yea I got the tour I wanted but they still sending my behind across the city when my classmate lives right in that area and they send him over my way smh.

Expect 3 to 5 years of that buddy so get your crying out now. The crew office will BREAK you.

Edited by Dan05979

Expect 3 to 5 years of that buddy so get your crying out now. The crew office will BREAK you.

Its not a problem. Was just giving the person I quoted an idea of how it's been so far. They can send me wherever. I'm good. I will not complain one bit. I'm just happy to be here. Even when I pick, it'll be extra or RDO relief because I'm not the type of person that can do the same exact job for 6 months straight. I like to see different lines, signals, stations and people.

Its not a problem. Was just giving the person I quoted an idea of how it's been so far. They can send me wherever. I'm good. I will not complain one bit. I'm just happy to be here. Even when I pick, it'll be extra or RDO relief because I'm not the type of person that can do the same exact job for 6 months straight. I like to see different lines, signals, stations and people.

You sound like you like the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

You should have said "hey I'm just thrilled to be here" in that case you would have reminded people of Will "the thrill" Clark.

On another note, does anyone actually miss their old job? I know I would definitely miss mine a little. The pay isn't great, but I don't have to be on my toes in a dark tunnel working odd hours each and everyday.

Question for the vets: does MTA offer other training/development courses once passing schoolcar and probation? if so is it done on your dime and time?

Get together with yer Classmates and study study study when in schoolcar..

After Schoolcar when on yer own just follow the rules know yer rulebook as well as yer bulletins and you will be fine.

Cant be any easier than that.... ;)

Edited by RTOMan

Ok now this new class of A div T/O's got us TSS'S and Supts working overtime. We had 3 incidents and one of them had 2 of the 3 today.

Dave come on now thats how it always is with New Folks chit happens..

No matter how much some think "They got it"...

BTW im hearing "stories" about a T/O in the B Div posting hes already starting to Piss folks off a know it all..

Thats Ok though hes gonna learn and quick...

I think hes in Mediccjh's class...

Edited by RTOMan