The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can say I survived my first round of Road Posting.

Thank you to the Motormen who took me under their wings and helped me improve my operation.

Thank you to the Conductors who were patient with me operating.

Back in the classroom this week.

Realized today, 4/1/13 at 3:55am, why we should take down name and pass numbers of people we speak to from the crew office. I was told by the person i spoke to on Friday evening that they double assigned my job and i fell to the board. Was told to report to woodlawn at 0408 to sit on board...fine, no problem. I get to wdl at 0350 and my name is still on sign in sheet for the job they said i was dropped out of. Of course the dispatchers at Mosh yd and Wdl know nothing about this supposed drop out so they call the crew office and they confirm that im still in the job...smh. Worst part about this situation, the job im in has a report time of 0555, so im at work 2 hours early....

This isn't entirely clear what you're saying. The job you were assigned and fell to the board on, reports at Woodlawn 0408. You get there and see that you're in a job with a 0555 report? Sounds like the job at 0555 you picked up from the board. Always get a name when you call the crew office, but if you were assigned that job reporting at 0408 on the sheets, you're entitled to board time since that was the report time of the original job they gave you. Try calling them back.

Realized today, 4/1/13 at 3:55am, why we should take down name and pass numbers of people we speak to from the crew office. I was told by the person i spoke to on Friday evening that they double assigned my job and i fell to the board. Was told to report to woodlawn at 0408 to sit on board...fine, no problem. I get to wdl at 0350 and my name is still on sign in sheet for the job they said i was dropped out of. Of course the dispatchers at Mosh yd and Wdl know nothing about this supposed drop out so they call the crew office and they confirm that im still in the job...smh. Worst part about this situation, the job im in has a report time of 0555, so im at work 2 hours early....

You need to look at the sign in sheet was your name Next to a Job Number(lets say 202) or was your name next to a job with a different Number? If that was the case you fell to the board at that time and picked up a later job... You get Paid for that did you fill out a OT Slip??

I find the IVR to be more accurate than the crew office. Also you have to call the crew office closer to the day you work. If you call on Friday for a job for Monday, it can change between that time. I suggest you call the evening before you report. Also use the assignment sheets instead of the crew office. I find the IVR hotline and the assignment sheets to be the most accurate. I called the crew office one day and they gave me a job that was totally different than what was on the sheets and on the IVR hotline and the latter 2 were correct. The crew office was wrong. Always check those sheets everyday. Edited by Success7

I find the IVR to be more accurate than the crew office. Also you have to call the crew office closer to the day you work. If you call on Friday for a job for Monday, it can change between that time. I suggest you call the evening before you report. Also use the assignment sheets instead of the crew office. I find the IVR hotline and the assignment sheets to be the most accurate. I called the crew office one day and they gave me a job that was totally different than what was on the sheets and on the IVR hotline and the latter 2 were correct. The crew office was wrong. Always check those sheets everyday.

Thats pretty much what happened. It was also a mistake on my part, i didnt know they would change from what they told me. The dispatcher told me also that i should've called on saturday evening again.

This isn't entirely clear what you're saying. The job you were assigned and fell to the board on, reports at Woodlawn 0408. You get there and see that you're in a job with a 0555 report? Sounds like the job at 0555 you picked up from the board. Always get a name when you call the crew office, but if you were assigned that job reporting at 0408 on the sheets, you're entitled to board time since that was the report time of the original job they gave you. Try calling them back.

Sorry if it wasnt clear. When i called the crew office on friday, the person i spoke to said i was assigned to a job originally, but the person was set to come back so i fell to the board. He told ne to report to woodlawn for a 0408 report on 4/1/13.

What i didnt know was that the assignments they had on Friday for Monday wasn't final, so i didnt call back on saturday to confirm.

Apparantly i did fall to the board due to the person returning to work, but they put me in a job between the time i spoke to them on friday and when they finalized the sheets on Saturday so it was kinda my fault for not calling back.

The sheets did have the job for the 0555 report when i arrived this morning. It was just a mishap on my part

On a good note I got paid for 2 hours early report because the superintendent found a sheet with all of my class's jobs and on the paper it did have me with a report time of 0408

Took a 62A from VC to Utica and back. I did better with the SMEE than the NTT. It feels like an extension of the hands. No dumps from anyone in class today. Overran a station by a door panel on my second stop. After that, everything was gravy. But, like you guys said, each of the operating ends react differently. Looking forward to more practice.

Took a 62A from VC to Utica and back. I did better with the SMEE than the NTT. It feels like an extension of the hands. No dumps from anyone in class today. Overran a station by a door panel on my second stop. After that, everything was gravy. But, like you guys said, each of the operating ends react differently. Looking forward to more practice.

Any idea of what line you want after school car? i suggest you pick the (1) or the (3) or (4) they're decent, & i'm glad that every thing went smooth after you overran you'll get better with practice it's all about your timing just trust yourself and you'' be fine!

Any idea of what line you want after school car? i suggest you pick the (1) or the (3) or (4) they're decent, & i'm glad that every thing went smooth after you overran you'll get better with practice it's all about your timing just trust yourself and you'' be fine!

You dont "Pick" after Schoolcar you are extra extra you can go anywhere.

Well for a few years then you er "select" whats left....  ;)  ;)  ;)

Joyride from JYD to 95 St and back. Nothing to report, except that my class has been merged with the other B-Division class from our induction date for the week.

We'll be at the Stimulator tomorrow. 

BBBBBzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Simulator.....

You dont "Pick" after Schoolcar you are extra extra you can go anywhere.

Well for a few years then you er "select" whats left....  ;)  ;)  ;)

BBBBBzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Simulator.....

Thanks for correcting me and also wondered what division are you?

I find the IVR to be more accurate than the crew office. Also you have to call the crew office closer to the day you work. If you call on Friday for a job for Monday, it can change between that time. I suggest you call the evening before you report. Also use the assignment sheets instead of the crew office. I find the IVR hotline and the assignment sheets to be the most accurate. I called the crew office one day and they gave me a job that was totally different than what was on the sheets and on the IVR hotline and the latter 2 were correct. The crew office was wrong. Always check those sheets everyday.

Do NOT rely on the IVR. If there is a change, the IVR can be updated, and it is not logged so if you are marked AWOL "the IVR told me otherwise" is not a valid defense.

You can either call the crew office, in which case you need to know the time you called and the name of the person you spoke with (you can try to get a pass number, up to you, but in time you'll learn the names), or check the daily assignment sheets which, since they are printed, are good as gold.

The exception to that is if you call the crew office and someone tells you your job is changed from the daily assignment sheets, in which case speaking to the person overrides that.

beneka, if you were placed in a job that appeared on the assignment sheets that reported at 0408, and fell to the board, and were placed in the 0555 job, you are entitled to board time from 0408 to 0555 regardless since you are reporting as per instruction. If, however, you were told that 0408 job was full and you had the choice of falling to the board or picking up another job, and chose to pick up the other job, then you're not entitled to anything except what that job pays. That's why it's important to keep track of who you spoke to and when, as well as what was discussed on the phone.

I remember reporting to work early due to a GO which was cancelled by a snow supplement that was called at the last minute, but I reported at the time on the assignment sheets, and so the dispatcher paid my "early report".

The sheets are the best way to find your job info, otherwise call and ask someone at the crew office. The IVR should really be a last resort, or a way of checking to confirm what you already know.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Thanks for correcting me and also wondered what division are you?

B Div

Do NOT rely on the IVR. If there is a change, the IVR can be updated, and it is not logged so if you are marked AWOL "the IVR told me otherwise" is not a valid defense.

You can either call the crew office, in which case you need to know the time you called and the name of the person you spoke with (you can try to get a pass number, up to you, but in time you'll learn the names), or check the daily assignment sheets which, since they are printed, are good as gold.

The exception to that is if you call the crew office and someone tells you your job is changed from the daily assignment sheets, in which case speaking to the person overrides that.

beneka, if you were placed in a job that appeared on the assignment sheets that reported at 0408, and fell to the board, and were placed in the 0555 job, you are entitled to board time from 0408 to 0555 regardless since you are reporting as per instruction. If, however, you were told that 0408 job was full and you had the choice of falling to the board or picking up another job, and chose to pick up the other job, then you're not entitled to anything except what that job pays. That's why it's important to keep track of who you spoke to and when, as well as what was discussed on the phone.

I remember reporting to work early due to a GO which was cancelled by a snow supplement that was called at the last minute, but I reported at the time on the assignment sheets, and so the dispatcher paid my "early report".

The sheets are the best way to find your job info, otherwise call and ask someone at the crew office. The IVR should really be a last resort, or a way of checking to confirm what you already know.

Totally agree on ALL points...  

Whenever I get to pick, I'll try to get something at Corona or Livonia. Otherwise it's an A to B transfer for me. Only because I want the experience.

Whenever I get to pick, I'll try to get something at Corona or Livonia. Otherwise it's an A to B transfer for me. Only because I want the experience.

If coronas more convenient for you i suggest you take that instead of livonia it's a lot safer and the guys over there take care of their trains i only chose livonia because of location 

Congrats....welcome to the hall of fame club!!!!!

Thanks, I saw your mug up there.

Joyride from Concourse to Bay Parkway. Nothing to report, except for seeing our original Instructors today. They were doing a C/R class, and they went down the road with us, practicing announcements and door operations.