The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

you can download the Rulebook PDF from tens website and other files as well......HOWEVER you must have the actual rule book with you at all times. You cannot reference the rule book from your electronic device while on duty on the train. A classmate of mine was sorta reprimanded while in schoolcar for not having his actual version of the book. Some tss'/superintendents won't say anything about it while in schoolcar, but there is a distraction bulletin which states you can be taken out of service and possibly terminated if any electronic device is even seen while on duty other than in the crew rooms. Just be careful guys and gals!

Congratulations to all those passing schoolcar!! Hope to see ya on the road soon!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can download the Rulebook PDF from tens website and other files as well......HOWEVER you must have the actual rule book with you at all times. You cannot reference the rule book from your electronic device while on duty on the train. A classmate of mine was sorta reprimanded while in schoolcar for not having his actual version of the book. Some tss'/superintendents won't say anything about it while in schoolcar, but there is a distraction bulletin which states you can be taken out of service and possibly terminated if any electronic device is even seen while on duty other than in the crew rooms. Just be careful guys and gals!Congratulations to all those passing schoolcar!! Hope to see ya on the road soon!
actually i think the rule reads you must have a rule book available during your tour of duty. It doesn't say anything about having it on you at all times while on duty. Remember the rules could be used to your advantage too.

In my going on 22 years with the TA, some of it as a shop steward, there are very few rules that can be used to your advantage. Theres always a second rule somewhere closing the loop hole any other rule may have.

It was determined at arbitration that the TA can bypass thier own rules if they feel circumstances allow.

I can elaborate more if anyone likes another time.

I passed the road practical, all the hard work paid off, thanks to my instructors, train operators that posted with me and all my classmates that were always there to lend their support. good luck to all you still in school car hope to see you all on the road.

Congratulations Etrain!!!

actually i think the rule reads you must have a rule book available during your tour of duty. It doesn't say anything about having it on you at all times while on duty. Remember the rules could be used to your advantage too.

The Rule book is part of your PPE if im correct ill double check. If thats the case the answer is Yes you better have it on you.

I double checked I looked at Bulletin 04-13..

Says nothing about the RuleBook..
Edited by RTOMan

I was at Lennox about a week ago and the superintendent was doing spot checks for ppe. The t/o he was checking out had all his ppe except his rule book. (he keeps it in his locker to avoid it getting beat up in his bag) The super said that is acceptable as long as it's available to him at the end of his shift. With that said, regardless of what the rule is, I always carry my rule book especially for the day comes that I have to write a G2.

Edited by subwaydriver

I was at Lennox about a week ago and the superintendent was doing spot checks for ppe. The t/o he was checking out had all his ppe except his rule book. (he keeps it in his locker to avoid it getting beat up in his bag) The super said that is acceptable as long as it's available to him at the end of his shift. With that said, regardless of what the rule is, I always carry my rule book especially for the day comes that I have to write a G2.
that is exactly correct. It does not need to be on you at all times. However, being extra and not having a locker and no other place to store your rule book, guess where it needs to be.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have a question for those of you that recently came out of school car,  I just started my extra extra life and got assinged a job that has me posting for a week on the same job. How long did that enhance training last for you guys?

I have a question for those of you that recently came out of school car,  I just started my extra extra life and got assinged a job that has me posting for a week on the same job. How long did that enhance training last for you guys?
1 week on the same job then you're on your own. Expect to see a lot of different tss's ride with you once you are on your own. Don't rush, respect those signals and make good stops and you'll be good. Best of luck and be careful out there!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Excellent..  I give the folks down there a shout out the "hint" was they was going to drop a twist on that Signals Quiz...

Heh.. 

Look Online will you for "definitions" if some of you folks want...

Edited by RTOMan

1 week on the same job then you're on your own. Expect to see a lot of different tss's ride with you once you are on your own. Don't rush, respect those signals and make good stops and you'll be good. Best of luck and be careful out there! Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks a lot man.

Cancelled road trips due to lack of available equipment, limited equipment to practice troubleshooting and do yard moves (cuts & adds). Our instructors were Goding & Moran. The 1st couple of weeks we had Jones, Shah, Hill and Labianca (sp?).

A couple of times they pulled one of our instructors to cover another class leaving us with one TSS.

7 days into road posting...tricks of the trade and learn what not to say over the air.

7 more days to go.

Sad to say we're down to 6 in TA-24.

In any event, to all in school car, take EVERYTHING you can from this experience. After this, it will be up to YOU to stay current with troubleshooting techniques, bulletins and your money.

Cancelled road trips due to lack of available equipment, limited equipment to practice troubleshooting and do yard moves (cuts & adds). Our instructors were Goding & Moran. The 1st couple of weeks we had Jones, Shah, Hill and Labianca (sp?).

A couple of times they pulled one of our instructors to cover another class leaving us with one TSS.

Goding is a good guy, I had him for my Conductor class. Labianca is Mr. Schoolcar himself. He wrote alot of induction books. I've been seeing alot of classes at 207 in the morning, but haven't seen Goding. That sucks that your class isn't getting a full treatment of whats to be learned. I hope they take that into consideration when its time for tests & finals.

Wow...10 TA classes since November! They really are hiring a lot!!

Congrats to all in and just passing schoolcar. We've been on our own for two going on three months now and everyday is a new learning experience! Take your time...respect signals cause if not they will smack u up!!

Enhanced training? We were thrown to the wolves when we got out in May.

I have survived my first month solo on the road. A couple of hiccoughs, but nothing bad. The TSSs that have rode with me have been great, and none of my partners have pulled the cord. 

When I get motivated, I'll write my Schoolcar Survival Guide Thread.