The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AMs

Good - convenient for those with families, relatively normal working hours (often easy to get rest), normal pace of work, jobs not often seriously affected by GOs (except on weekends), AM tour has the most overtime (penalty jobs)

Bad - on time performance is important and lateness is questioned, large crowds of people, if you drive to work this is the hardest tour to commute in and out on, early AM jobs are very difficult to commute using the system itself to get to as service is minimal in the wee hours, most non-RTO supervision is out during AMs (IE the people that will take you out of service if they observe anything even if minor...remember most RTO supervision is there to help you not write you up).

@SubwayGuy who is NON RTO supervision?? Just curious on this.

Stations Dept.

System Safety

Inspector General

Labor Relations

Managers in various departments

Various other folks at 2 B'way, 130 Livingston, etc.

RCC personnel can be out on all tours (as many take the train to and from work also) but are most prevalent on AM tour.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Happy Anniversary to me!!

Today marks the end of my 1st year in Transit (and the birthday of this thread I started). I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work.

Congrats. This 1st yr really flew by fast. I just can't wait until tommorrow when I sign in and see "probationary" taken off my name lol. Edited by elantra06

Congrats. This 1st yr really flew by fast. I just can't wait until tommorrow when I sign in and see "probationary" taken off my name lol.

Yes....this year flew by!! Congrats and happy anniversary to us 11/12/12 inductees!!!

And thank you mediccjh for starting this thread!!

Thanks for stating the obvious. I was looking for something like length of test in terms of time, number of questions, anything helpful. But thanks, I'll try to remember to study.

They change things up so any insight you are looking for wont help..  

Study Thats the best answer..

Thanks for stating the obvious. I was looking for something like length of test in terms of time, number of questions, anything helpful. But thanks, I'll try to remember to study.

You can also try reading some of this thread from the beginning as the OP and others try to outline some of their experiences. It's a pretty good peek into what's to come.

Congratulations guys on completing your first year. Can anyone offer some insight to the signal test/ signal practical?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I took the signal test in March or April. It's a breeze as long as you stay on top of them from day 1. My test was 10 questions. 5 multiple choice, 5 write ins. Learn to define the signals exactly as written. Save your interpretations for yourself. I was thinking about this today..... The stuff you worry about coming in, (signals, routes, station stops, etc) end up being the least of your worries. All that stuff becomes second nature. The real challenge turned out to be the job itself. Staying alert in a silent cab for up to 2 hrs at a time, 3 times a night wears you out. It's a mentally draining position. All that other stuff..... Cake.

I took the signal test in March or April. It's a breeze as long as you stay on top of them from day 1. My test was 10 questions. 5 multiple choice, 5 write ins. Learn to define the signals exactly as written. Save your interpretations for yourself. I was thinking about this today..... The stuff you worry about coming in, (signals, routes, station stops, etc) end up being the least of your worries. All that stuff becomes second nature. The real challenge turned out to be the job itself. Staying alert in a silent cab for up to 2 hrs at a time, 3 times a night wears you out. It's a mentally draining position. All that other stuff..... Cake.

As RTOman posted, they switch the tests up often..subwaydriver's post here is a testament to that. Our signal test was in january and it was more than 10 questions. And as subwaydriver posted, learn them word for word. You can intetpret it in your own way, but for test purposes you should learn them word for word

Appreciate all the good advice on info from everyone. It's great. Thanks...

Sorry don't feel like scanning through 115 pages in this thread to find out - but can anyone tell me if TO's still have to go through the "simulator" at Livingston street as part os schoolcar?
Yes they do. It's fun you will like it.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was reading Mediccjh very first post in this thread and he wrote that he go his photo ID and a Metrocard. They were one and the same at one point...your "pass" was an employee Metrocard with your picture on it. Is this no longer the case?
Your pass is a metro card with your photo on it yes.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...