The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

My first winter here was the 2010-11 winter where we had over 60 inches of snow in a month. I worked the midnights and I had either yard jobs at Coney Island or Midnight Apple jobs with a layup at 207th yard. Trudging through a couple of feet of snow on the tracks to do a put in and/or a layup became the norm for me that winter. I forgot what a track tie looked like for nearly 2 months.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be honest here. I finished my 2nd week and I do feel overwhelmed. My brain is all over the place. So is the rest of the class.

Don't stress out about it too much. You are only in your second week and they will go over everything thoroughly and there will be many reviews as well. Just make sure to get your rest and read every night. When I was in school car I had 2 very good TSS instructors. And the temporary TSS instructors who would come through when one of our regular TSS were out were very good as well. Just stay focused and positive.

quote name="Dandre" post="739737" timestamp="1388253104"]

Don't stress out about it too much. You are only in your second week and they will go over everything thoroughly and there will be many reviews as well. Just make sure to get your rest and read every night. When I was in school car I had 2 very good TSS instructors. And the temporary TSS instructors who would come through when one of our regular TSS were out were very good as well. Just stay focused and positive.

My first winter here was the 2010-11 winter where we had over 60 inches of snow in a month. I worked the midnights and I had either yard jobs at Coney Island or Midnight Apple jobs with a layup at 207th yard. Trudging through a couple of feet of snow on the tracks to do a put in and/or a layup became the norm for me that winter. I forgot what a track tie looked like for nearly 2 months.

Best thing everyone can do is spend $30 an go to Sports Authority or a similar store and buy a 2 piece rain suit or one piece poncho. I have had to walk the structure with rain blasting at me sideways, but I stayed dry through all of it thanks to my suit. It is well worth the money.

I will be honest here. I finished my 2nd week and I do feel overwhelmed. My brain is all over the place. So is the rest of the class.

Just wondering, is that because you took a bunch of notes and they are all over the place and you don't know where to start? This used to happen to me back in college lol. The amount of info is really that overwhelming huh? I do a job that couldn't be more different from Transit and the closer this gets the more nerve racked I become. How are your TSS's?

Best thing everyone can do is spend $30 an go to Sports Authority or a similar store and buy a 2 piece rain suit or one piece poncho. I have had to walk the structure with rain blasting at me sideways, but I stayed dry through all of it thanks to my suit. It is well worth the money.

The problem with doing that is if something happens to you as in you get hurt and or die while wearing something such as gear that covers the body to that extent, they can and more than likely would deny worker's comp or death benefits even if the suit had nothing to do with why the incident occurred because they will claim the none TA issue gear was a contributing factor. They have been very selective and lacking in issuing the proper weather so I agree that there is a problem there but protect your income at all costs! 

Thanks for the responses guys. Our TSS is VERY good in explaining the stuff clearly. Perfect actually. I just wish he was more approachable and offer words of encouragement instead of saying if you don't know this you fail, you do this thing wrong you fail, etc. I know there are rules and regulations but every now and then say "Good Job" or "I have faith that all of you will pass" or something to give us some confidence, is that too much to ask ?  He gets agitated if we do not understand the material instantly and there were a few instances he starts yelling.  The whole class can tell he has no patience with us and has a very short fuse. I am not talking bad about him because he is very good as an instructor, awesome actually but if we make a mistake don't yell at us which makes us feel worthless. We have little to no confidence as it is because we don't know any better.

Because this job doesn't come with reassurances. You are your own reassurance. You have to believe in your ability to survive down here and your TSS is getting you acclimated early with this working environment.

Its kinda hard but i gotta agree with you this isnt a public school, they are under pressure to get good TOs out there.

The problem with doing that is if something happens to you as in you get hurt and or die while wearing something such as gear that covers the body to that extent, they can and more than likely would deny worker's comp or death benefits even if the suit had nothing to do with why the incident occurred because they will claim the none TA issue gear was a contributing factor. They have been very selective and lacking in issuing the proper weather so I agree that there is a problem there but protect your income at all costs! 

What he said!!!!!! TA will cover themselves in a second if something goes down and you arent wearing the right gear.

Yep i know  the feeling well been down that road too. Just take a deep breath you will be Ok!

Thanks for the responses guys. Our TSS is VERY good in explaining the stuff clearly. Perfect actually. I just wish he was more approachable and offer words of encouragement instead of saying if you don't know this you fail, you do this thing wrong you fail, etc. I know there are rules and regulations but every now and then say "Good Job" or "I have faith that all of you will pass" or something to give us some confidence, is that too much to ask ?  He gets agitated if we do not understand the material instantly and there were a few instances he starts yelling.  The whole class can tell he has no patience with us and has a very short fuse. I am not talking bad about him because he is very good as an instructor, awesome actually but if we make a mistake don't yell at us which makes us feel worthless. We have little to no confidence as it is because we don't know any better.

Up until now, so far all I've heard about TSS's is that they are bearded grand wizards of teaching. I knew there had to blah blah blah blah blah out there somewhere. Hang in there and make the best of this regardless, nobody is perfect.

There's no problem, rain gear isn't going to be an issue. There's no reason they are going to deny workers comp or any benefits because you are wearing a rain suit. As long as you are wearing your safety vest and all of your PPE you are in the clear.

If you get hurt on the job, things they are looking for is your PPE, or unapproved boots or sneakers because the footwear has specific standards that are for safety. Rain gear is just to keep you dry. Its simply cosmetic and not for safety so there is no problem as long as you have all of your proper PPE. TSS' even tell you to go out and buy your own rain gear.

Thanks for the responses guys. Our TSS is VERY good in explaining the stuff clearly. Perfect actually. I just wish he was more approachable and offer words of encouragement instead of saying if you don't know this you fail, you do this thing wrong you fail, etc. I know there are rules and regulations but every now and then say "Good Job" or "I have faith that all of you will pass" or something to give us some confidence, is that too much to ask ? He gets agitated if we do not understand the material instantly and there were a few instances he starts yelling. The whole class can tell he has no patience with us and has a very short fuse. I am not talking bad about him because he is very good as an instructor, awesome actually but if we make a mistake don't yell at us which makes us feel worthless. We have little to no confidence as it is because we don't know any better.

Who are you instructors? They sound like a few I know. Anyway, The reason none of the instructors will commend you or praise you is because it is sort of run like a para-military organization.If they don't praise you or pat you on the back it helps to keep you on your toes and your ego in check. You are moving thousands of tons of heavy equipment worth millions with the public's lives in your hands. You cant get comfortable and think ok I'm doing good because it will just hold you back. You may start getting praised towards the end when you have passed your signals tests and have due time behind the controls during Road OPS under TSS supervision. Once they see you can operate confidently without being cocky and you follow the rules and procedures you were taught, then and only then will you have a chance of hearing anything positive.

You have only been in training for two weeks, you are not supposed to have any confidence yet. You don't know a thing about what it takes to move these trains safely and under normal or unpredictable situations. After I was behind the controls a few times,one day when I was operating during Road Ops, after my stops were up and it was time to pass it o the next classmate the TSS told me, "Thank You, You didn't make me feel nervous at all while you were operating." Every time he told me to knock off the power put it into coast, brake and etc. I was already there just as he said it, because I was in tune with the train and what I was doing. That and maybe a couple of other times towards the end of school car was when I heard positive words. Last thing I was told was, just keep operating the way you are and you shouldn't have any problems. You will be ok. They know who the people are who make them feel uneasy or have doubt about.

You have to realize that their reputation as an instructor is on the line, also the safety of others in your path is at stake. If you mess up the first thing they do is scrutinize the TSS. You also have a lot of dumb people who say stupid things like, the TSS didn't tell me or show me that and other false statements to try to cover their ass. This is not the place for that. You are expected to act like an adult. That means being reliable, taking responsibility for your actions, applying common sense and adapting to situations on the fly and being honest.

The saying down here is "You are only as good as your last move."

There's no problem, rain gear isn't going to be an issue. There's no reason they are going to deny workers comp or any benefits because you are wearing a rain suit. As long as you are wearing your safety vest and all of your PPE you are in the clear.

If you get hurt on the job, things they are looking for is your PPE, or unapproved boots or sneakers because the footwear has specific standards that are for safety. Rain gear is just to keep you dry. Its simply cosmetic and not for safety so there is no problem as long as you have all of your proper PPE. TSS' even tell you to go out and buy your own rain gear.

Here's the thing though You can get MTA rain gear in any barn to be honest. You fill out a form to get it. That's how I did it. Now if they changed something I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's the thing though You can get MTA rain gear in any barn to be honest. You fill out a form to get it. That's how I did it. Now if they changed something I don't know.

I don't know how it is in the B division but they are really greedy with giving out any type of supplies in the barns. They only want to give it out to people who work in the barn. You cant sign out for anything yourself, you have to get a barn worker to sign anything out for you like safety glasses etc. and god forbid you ask for the yellow rain poncho most of the time they say they don't have any. Stuff like that they say you are supposed to get from the Terminal dispatcher. Sign up for the rain coat and cleets during the winter and don't hold your breath waiting to get them. Multiple TSS and Supt. Have told us we can buy our own.

I don't know how it is in the B division but they are really greedy with giving out any type of supplies in the barns. They only want to give it out to people who work in the barn. You cant sign out for anything yourself, you have to get a barn worker to sign anything out for you like safety glasses etc. and god forbid you ask for the yellow rain poncho most of the time they say they don't have any. Stuff like that they say you are supposed to get from the Terminal dispatcher. Sign up for the rain coat and cleets during the winter and don't hold your breath waiting to get them. Multiple TSS and Supt. Have told us we can buy our own.

And that's the dangerous part of the game that gets played. They tell you, "just go buy your own" as a means to get you off of their backs on the issue but as I said before, if you slip and fall on a wet structure they are going to check to see what you were wearing and carrying. If it's no TA stamped and approved they will use it against you because they do not want to pay for you to not work even if it's not a contributing factor.

They tried to not pay a surviving spouse death benefits because of worn TA issue boots, but if you tell then your boots are worn what do they do about it?....Please be careful with this. Those same Supts and TS-Supervisors will deny they ever verbally authorized any outside equipment if their feet were put to the flames....

And that's the dangerous part of the game that gets played. They tell you, "just go buy your own" as a means to get you off of their backs on the issue but as I said before, if you slip and fall on a wet structure they are going to check to see what you were wearing and carrying. If it's no TA stamped and approved they will use it against you because they do not want to pay for you to not work even if it's not a contributing factor.

They tried to not pay a surviving spouse death benefits because of worn TA issue boots, but if you tell then your boots are worn what do they do about it?....Please be careful with this. Those same Supts and TS-Supervisors will deny they ever verbally authorized any outside equipment if their feet were put to the flames....

Yeah I understand where you're getting at. That type of game gets played all over the place. However, suppose you do slip and fall etc and what have you but you had previously filled out a form to get gear such as boots, ponchos etc and you do not receive it in time if at all, wouldn't that cause them a problem when you file for worker's comp?

Yeah I understand where you're getting at. That type of game gets played all over the place. However, suppose you do slip and fall etc and what have you but you had previously filled out a form to get gear such as boots, ponchos etc and you do not receive it in time if at all, wouldn't that cause them a problem when you file for worker's comp?

No because you can only sign and wait for them to follow through on the initiative. It then becomes why did they not act in a timely fashion.

Can anyone give me some info on the 1st practical ? Is it uncouple and couple plus train inspection ? We did uncouple and couple today but our TSS said our first practical is coupling and uncoupling plus troubleshoot ?  I thought troubleshooting was a different practical?  All of us did uncouple and coupling about 4x each. I really truly hope we have more practice for our 1st practical than just today man. 

Tommy I'm in the Oct 28 class I can tell you the first month my head was spinning but about a week before the midterm and practical it all started to fall in place. The first yard practical is a cut an add and preparing train for yard movement that's it. Study the move in the book make notes and study signals (every night) and you will see what I mean good luck.

Can anyone give me some info on the 1st practical ? Is it uncouple and couple plus train inspection ? We did uncouple and couple today but our TSS said our first practical is coupling and uncoupling plus troubleshoot ?  I thought troubleshooting was a different practical?  All of us did uncouple and coupling about 4x each. I really truly hope we have more practice for our 1st practical than just today man.

Hey Brother don't feel bad about not getting it right away with time you will, keep studying and going over the material they have given you, believe me when I tell you that all of us that came from outside of transit felt the same way you do when we came here but all of it is part of the process.  Is your class doing the 3 months in the yard? because I dont remember doing adds and cuts until like week 4. We didn't do the 3 moths in the yard so we werent rushed like you guys are being rushed but if you study and apply yourself everything will be fine.

-Track & switch components

-Reading the Iron

-Difference between low home signal and an automatic, and function/definition of a low home signal

-Preparing a train for yard movement (includes how you would handle certain incorrect conditions on a train you are preparing for yard movement) - your train will NOT be OK to move. You must perform the procedure correctly.

-Identifying key train components.

-Moving the train in the yard (ie asking permission to leave a track, safety stops, etc.)

-Cut and add procedures

Each student will go one at a time, and anyone who has completed the practical will be separated from those yet to take it, so there's no sharing of what goes on.

Edited by SubwayGuy

-Track & switch components

-Reading the Iron

-Difference between low home signal and an automatic, and function/definition of a low home signal

-Preparing a train for yard movement (includes how you would handle certain incorrect conditions on a train you are preparing for yard movement) - your train will NOT be OK to move. You must perform the procedure correctly.

-Identifying key train components.

-Moving the train in the yard (ie asking permission to leave a track, safety stops, etc.)

-Cut and add procedures

Each student will go one at a time, and anyone who has completed the practical will be separated from those yet to take it, so there's no sharing of what goes on.

Sorta go Stand over there and go "whew"... Talk about a wipe yer sweat moment.

Thanks guys for the support and feedback.  My TSS was saying that school car changed the way they did things from before and we are the 4th class that is doing it this new way. He was saying before (I am writing from memory so correct me if I am wrong) school car was 5 1/2 months of teaching, then you post for a couple of weeks then come back to school car or something like that. He said now all the info is condensed into 3 1/2 months then do 3 months of yard posting, after that your back in school car for 1 week then you take the final. He doesn't agree with that because he feels that is too much info to give to students in too little of a time and wished it was back to the old way in which you can teach it at a slower pace so the students would "get it".  Now it makes sense because in previous posts in this thread someone mentioned why I was "cutting and adding" so soon into school car.  If I got any of this info wrong please correct me.

Edited by Tommy John

I really think school car needs to be changed. I went through it with no problem,but for many days we could never get trains. Posting was a nightmare for some people who had to sit for 8 hours and wasn't able to operate a Train. I know you need the classroom,but it really comes down to operating that Train and learning to control it. Totally should be more Training in the field than the classroom,and most likely there will be less incidents involving new Train Operators. Good luck to All in Schoolcar.