The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until now, so far all I've heard about TSS's is that they are bearded grand wizards of teaching. I knew there had to blah blah blah blah blah out there somewhere. Hang in there and make the best of this regardless, nobody is perfect.

Keep this in mind when you finish school car & decide from then if you want to stay on the road or not:

Study your rules, 2 pages a day, 5 minutes a day. Read 3 bulletins a day...You too can be a bearded grand wizard of teaching.

Keep this in mind when you finish school car & decide from then if you want to stay on the road or not:

Study your rules, 2 pages a day, 5 minutes a day. Read 3 bulletins a day...You too can be a bearded grand wizard of teaching.

Rather be a Conductor or Operator. Weekends off while teaching do sound pretty darn good though.

Question about the signal test. I am getting conflicting answers from different TSS's.  One said we should write it verbatim exactly like how its written in the Induction book (we didn't get the signal book yet, going into 5th week) and we should have no problems but he stressed NOTHING MORE because you might write yourself into a wrong answer.  Another one said we should add to it because they may question you asking you to expand it more.

Example.

Home Signal: 2 Green.  "Is a fixed interlocking home signal which indicates proceed on main route" <== book just says "proceed on main route"

The 2nd TSS recommends saying it "Is a fixed interlocking home signal which indicates proceed on main route at allowable speed, expecting next signal to be clear"

There are other examples where the ending in the book is use "Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution" but the 2nd TSS recommends adding in "Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution, expecting to find the track occupied, broken rail, or any other obstruction in the block"  The only time the book adds in this is with the "Call-On" method and that's it but he wants us to add it in with the "Key-By" as well.   There are more example of him adding more wordings in to other signals not listed in the book

Did you guys write to verbatim exactly like how it is in the book or did you guys add more to it where it is NOT printed in the book ? To those who did write what is only in the book and no more did you guys get questioned about it and told to elaborate ?  Just want to get an idea because I studied hard these past 5 weeks on the signals and learned it pretty much verbatim like how it is in the book but now adding new words in left and right is kind of screwing with my head a little. Thanks for any inputs

Edited by Tommy John

I go with what the second TSS says.  They want see if you know what the concept of the top mast is since it describes the condition of the track ahead.  As for the "restricted speed and extreme caution" with a red signal, it is good to put broken rail, track occupied or any other obstruction in the block.

Question about the signal test. I am getting conflicting answers from different TSS's.  One said we should write it verbatim exactly like how its written in the Induction book (we didn't get the signal book yet, going into 5th week) and we should have no problems but he stressed NOTHING MORE because you might write yourself into a wrong answer.  Another one said we should add to it because they may question you asking you to expand it more.

Example.

Home Signal: 2 Green.  "Is a fixed interlocking home signal which indicates proceed on main route" <== book just says "proceed on main route"

The 2nd TSS recommends saying it "Is a fixed interlocking home signal which indicates proceed on main route at allowable speed, expecting next signal to be clear"

There are other examples where the ending in the book is use "Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution" but the 2nd TSS recommends adding in "Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution, expecting to find the track occupied, broken rail, or any other obstruction in the block"  The only time the book adds in this is with the "Call-On" method and that's it but he wants us to add it in with the "Key-By" as well.   There are more example of him adding more wordings in to other signals not listed in the book

Did you guys write to verbatim exactly like how it is in the book or did you guys add more to it where it is NOT printed in the book ? To those who did write what is only in the book and no more did you guys get questioned about it and told to elaborate ?  Just want to get an idea because I studied hard these past 5 weeks on the signals and learned it pretty much verbatim like how it is in the book but now adding new words in left and right is kind of screwing with my head a little. Thanks for any inputs

Are you getting this from your Instructors? Or other TSSs?

Example.

Write whatever your class TSS says. If there is a dispute, and everyone has the same thing written that the TSS says, then there is no arguement. That's how it was explained in my class. 

Example.

for the write in they want the whole definition of the signal. "Green over green is a fixed interlocking signal. It means proceeded on the main route expect the next signal to be clear." Do not put any more info than you need to! You can put one wrong word and then the whole thing is wrong. As far as rsec you have to put the whole thing down on paper. You need to know the whole definition and what your looking for in that situation. If you don't put it they are going to ask you for it. Also I don't believe that's on the signal test, it's on the midterm. At least it was when I took it a year ago. Also I know the signal test is very stressful but try not to lose sleep over it. The test is very easy if you know your signals. There are no trick questions, it's just your basic signals.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Just to clarify, one of my instructors said put it like how it says in the book and that's it, nothing more because he said if they ever questioned you then you can show them the book but we had another instructor this week (only for this week because our main instructor had to do something) said you have to write it out more because the book (Induction book) is too vague and he said they will question you further.  So the substitute TSS had us doing signals practice everyday this week (first time we practiced signals, 4 weeks in) and he is adding words, sometimes an extra sentence in where it doesn't say it in the book and its kind of screwing up the students on which one they should study and memorize. The whole class did terrible. He was surprised and asked us why we aren't doing this everyday in school car from week 2/3. We are behind a good full week from what is on the schedule because orientation got screwed up and we had to finish what we didn't do at orientation at week 2 and 3.

Maybe once we get the signal book, that book will have more of a complete definition than the induction book ? From what I read here we are suppose to get the signal book the 1st week right ? We are going into the 5th week man w/o that signal book.

Just to clarify, one of my instructors said put it like how it says in the book and that's it, nothing more because he said if they ever questioned you then you can show them the book but we had another instructor this week (only for this week because our main instructor had to do something) said you have to write it out more because the book (Induction book) is too vague and he said they will question you further.  So the substitute TSS had us doing signals practice everyday this week (first time we practiced signals, 4 weeks in) and he is adding words, sometimes an extra sentence in where it doesn't say it in the book and its kind of screwing up the students on which one they should study and memorize. The whole class did terrible. He was surprised and asked us why we aren't doing this everyday in school car from week 2/3. We are behind a good full week from what is on the schedule because orientation got screwed up and we had to finish what we didn't do at orientation at week 2 and 3.

Maybe once we get the signal book, that book will have more of a complete definition than the induction book ? From what I read here we are suppose to get the signal book the 1st week right ? We are going into the 5th week man w/o that signal book.

When in doubt, use the rule book. That has pretty much everything in it.

For each write-in, write the aspect and definition.

Aspect: Green over green fixed interlocking signal

Indication: Proceed at the allowable speed on the main route, expect the next signal to be clear.

You don't need to write them separately like that. Just put it together: Green over green fixed interlocking signal. Proceed at the allowable speed on the main route, expect the next signal to be clear.

Be especially careful with your signs. For example 10 CAR.

10 car reverse move stop marker. Fixed miscellaneous sign indicating the point at which a 10 car train has cleared all switches and signals necessary for a move in the opposite direction.

The signs have the more complicated definitions, and once you've got the basics of the automatics and interlockings down, you'll want to devote a decent sized portion of time to the miscellaneous stuff. Also don't forget that audible and movable signals are still SIGNALS, and you may be asked to write one out on a write in.

Should of got that signal book within the 1st few days after orientation. But start with the rule book and induction Manuel. Signal exam is going to be easier than you think. The multiple choices are no brainers. Get one wrong and you're out. No excuse for that. The write ins afford you a little more room for error. But like someone said, don't over write. You can't take stuff out if it's wrong, BUT if you "forget" to put something in, you may get a chance to explain yourself. With that said... They want the type of signal, (fixed, low home, standard home, approach, automatic, grade time, etc) and what to expect when you encounter it.

Example

Green over yellow

Fixed interlocking standard home signal

Proceed at allowable speed expecting the following signal to be clear,

Continue on diverging route.

That's what they're looking for.

Should of got that signal book within the 1st few days after orientation. But start with the rule book and induction Manuel. Signal exam is going to be easier than you think. The multiple choices are no brainers. Get one wrong and you're out. No excuse for that. The write ins afford you a little more room for error. But like someone said, don't over write. You can't take stuff out if it's wrong, BUT if you "forget" to put something in, you may get a chance to explain yourself. With that said... They want the type of signal, (fixed, low home, standard home, approach, automatic, grade time, etc) and what to expect when you encounter it.

Example

Green over yellow

Fixed interlocking standard home signal

Proceed at allowable speed expecting the following signal to be clear,

Continue on diverging route.

That's what they're looking for.

When you go to the simulator, ask them if they have copies they can issue to your class.

Also...even if you use the signal guide be sure to use the rule book also. There are a couple of signals on there you won't see in the signals book or the flash cards (if you're class even gets them...they're not issued by schoolcar and therefore not official).

Case in point (you won't see this in the signal guide unless they've updated it):

10p3xoi.jpg

Edited by SubwayGuy

a few of you need to call school car and tell them you are in your 5th week and still haven't gotten your signal guide. There is no reason for that. It's just a matter of making the copies and have your TSS go pick them up or maybe even someone from your class going to get them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your replies, you guys are the best.  We didn't contact the school because we don't know any better. We just thought this is how it goes but then other classes were asking us why we are not going over signals/reading iron everyday and we told them we don't know why. We did signals/read iron the first one or two days of schoolcar then we stopped completely, literally. We are so far behind that we haven't gotten any quizzes yet because he said he didn't even have time to cover the material that was going to be on the first quiz.

RTOMan,  what do you mean they changed the signal quiz?  What was posted here is similar to what is in the induction/rule book, so its no good? Where should I go to get the material that they are look for on the test ? My brain is all over the place because I don't know what or where to study now. Then I question the material that I am studying because the substitute TSS tells us that's not a complete answer and he adds in words that's not even in the book.  Maybe because I'm an old man fart or what because I am not sure of my self anymore.   

SubwayGuy,  I see that DG10 definition in the Blue Rule Book only, not in the Induction book.

a few of you need to call school car and tell them you are in your 5th week and still haven't gotten your signal guide. There is no reason for that. It's just a matter of making the copies and have your TSS go pick them up or maybe even someone from your class going to get them.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I dont know how it was when you went to school car but they dont give out the signal guide until you go to the simulator for the first time.

For now all they need to study is the rule book and induction guide. There are plenty of signals and definitions in there to learn that will have you well prepared. That signal guide they give out at the simulator is nothing special anyway. Even the TSS make fun of it and call it shit.

RTOMan,  what do you mean they changed the signal quiz?  What was posted here is similar to what is in the induction/rule book, so its no good? Where should I go to get the material that they are look for on the test ? My brain is all over the place because I don't know what or where to study now. Then I question the material that I am studying because the substitute TSS tells us that's not a complete answer and he adds in words that's not even in the book.  Maybe because I'm an old man fart or what because I am not sure of my self anymore.   

SubwayGuy,  I see that DG10 definition in the Blue Rule Book only, not in the Induction book.

The signal quizzes are changed around frequently to avoid people copying them and selling them. All you need to know is that there is a section that is multiple choice and a section that is write-in that you have to write out the definition of the signal.

Study all of the signals daily and you wont have a problem. There is no reason to fail the signals quiz when all of the information has been given to you and the TSS should be dedicating time almost every day to review signals.

How would you guys define "Track Indication Signal" because in the induction book/rule book, signal guide and TSS I have 3 different worded definition

Induction book / Rule Book: =  "A home indication signal which when clear displays the track for which a train is being routed"

TSS =  "Proceed with caution on the track indicated by the illuminated number, be prepared to stop with 1/2 range of vision expecting to find the track occupied

Signal Guide = "Proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution on the track indicated by the illuminated number"

Edited by Tommy John

I believe there may have been a bulletin issued not too long back that changed all "Proceed with cautions" to "Proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution" when pertaining to yard moves or movements within the yard.

I would go with RSEC as you can't be penalized for going the extra mile. But it is vital that you do not forget to include: Be prepared to stop within 1/2 the range of vision, expecting to find the track occupied.

That last line is a must as it protects the "Authority" against you fouling up the movement.