The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Andrew gr8 words of wisdom its defintely true, if im going to make mistakes let it happen in schoolcar and have a TSS show me the mistake and help me out if he can, its almost like any lesson of LIVE n LEARN you do become more aware after doing something wrong. GL to all as they continue down the road :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey new guys, i start on 12/17...A quick question about benefits, not sure if this the right place, but if someone can point me in the right direction to another thread i would appreciate that also.

Was the topic of domestic partners discussed in terms of health care coverage during the orientation...I know they cover domestic partners, but i need to get a domestic partner packet to add my girlfriend to my coverage. Any help with this would be appreciated...The topic is kinda stumping me right now on what to do in terms if affidavits and other IRS jargon. We trying to figure if its worth the trouble to do so. We currently dish out 400 bucks a month for her coverage

Don't worry. When you get to orientaion they will provide all the paper work for you. You just need to prove that you both have been living together for the past 6 months I believe and share the household expenses. The packet will tell you what you proof you need. it really isn't all that complicated.

Glad School car is working out so far. Just have fun and learn. Also to get paid you must sign the payroll every day In and out. This case the TSS messed up but I'm sure they are taken care of it. Once again good luck to all our new C/R and T/O students. If anyone got questions I'll do my Best to answer them. Those that don't know me I'm a Road TSS in A Div.

Cool so when it comes time for me to Road Post in school car I may have an opportunity to meet you since I'm A Div.

Also after watching the 3rd rail jumper video on Wednesday some of the fear and nervousness I had went away. It isn't as bad and scary as it sounded when the TSS's were explaining it.

when you watch the TSS doing it and the jumper cable on the 3rd rail starts sparking and sticking on it the day you're supposed to do it, then it's a bit nerve racking lol

It takes about a month for that stuff to kick in on your checks.

Dave, you following me over to the B? I got one week left here in the A!

Third rail jumper cables are used to give 600v to a train whose shoe is gapped so it isn't getting power. One end gets held on the shoe and the other end against the third rail. There's no feeling like holding those cables in your hands (but they come with gloves that are stamped GOOD FOR 700V) while that kind of electricity is flowing through them!....especially if it starts arcing! Once you have it flowing, the train can charge and you SLOWLY move along with it until the shoe reaches the third rail

Edited by Snowblock

It takes about a month for that stuff to kick in on your checks.

Dave, you following me over to the B? I got one week left here in the A!

Third rail jumper cables are used to give 600v to a train whose shoe is gapped so it isn't getting power. One end gets held on the shoe and the other end against the third rail. There's no feeling like holding those cables in your hands (but they come with gloves that are stamped GOOD FOR 700V) while that kind of electricity is flowing through them!....especially if it starts arcing! Once you have it flowing, the train can charge and you SLOWLY move along with it until the shoe reaches the third rail

Comforting task...How often do T/O find themselves doing this. I always wondered as a newbie will I be picking up my train from the yard (i.e Coney Island under the belt parkway) or will I be relieving a T/O at a train station, not sure what is more common.

Comforting task...How often do T/O find themselves doing this. I always wondered as a newbie will I be picking up my train from the yard (i.e Coney Island under the belt parkway) or will I be relieving a T/O at a train station, not sure what is more common.

Thats where the fun lies! You dont until you see or hear the report location and what the job entails :)

Edited by RTOMan

Today we reported to Coney Island Yard for the first day of the real stuff (for lack of a better term).

We went over basic signals, and built up from there, discussing home balls, dwarves, and other stuff.

We got Track Qualified; we walked the tracks and up onto the El from the Yard Lead.

Also took a tour of the Yard and went out on the Veranda on the Yard Tower. Nice view during the day.

Tomorrow we go to 130 Livingston and pretend operate a la Simulator.

Today we reported to Coney Island Yard for the first day of the real stuff (for lack of a better term).

We went over basic signals, and built up from there, discussing home balls, dwarves, and other stuff.

We got Track Qualified; we walked the tracks and up onto the El from the Yard Lead.

Also took a tour of the Yard and went out on the Veranda on the Yard Tower. Nice view during the day.

Tomorrow we go to 130 Livingston and pretend operate a la Simulator.

I pretty much did the same thing today at the Van Courtland yard. Man you don't realize how massive these trains are until you are standing on the roadbed looking up at them...

Nice. Reading over all the post here and getting excited to experience it all. Hope they keep hiring as planned so I can get the chance.

Any insight on the signals as of yet? I understand that knowing the signals 100% is a must so if any of you that can help us get a head start would be helpful. Good luck all and enjoy.

Nice. Reading over all the post here and getting excited to experience it all. Hope they keep hiring as planned so I can get the chance.

Any insight on the signals as of yet? I understand that knowing the signals 100% is a must so if any of you that can help us get a head start would be helpful. Good luck all and enjoy.

http://www.nycsubway..._Marker_Signals

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Time_Signals

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Train_Stops

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Home_Signals

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Sign_Signals

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_Signals:_Holdout_Signals_and_Bidirectional_Traffic

Edited by youngblaze

Word to the Wise regarding these Signals you just posted, when you take the Signals Quiz the meaning of the signal MUST be what they teach you it is. Have anybody gotten their signals Book? If so Study that Effer left and right those are the signals you will be tested on.. Stay away from any Online stuff! All it will do is get you clipped if you fail that quiz and they arent playing!!!

Edited by RTOMan

Ahhhh. I figured it was too good to be true to have that info online lmao. As RTOMan stated, use the links posted at your own discretion as whatever the TA provides you will over rule what's on nycsubway.org any time of day!!

Thats what we did when they gave us those signal books we was told to STUDY it every day!

Two people failed in our group they was asked to hand in their tools that day...

I must say, we've been(the T/O's I started with and the ones in my direct class) have been blessed as far as the TSS's we've met so far. Yesterday my class met, in my opinion so far, the coolest TSS..Perez. The guy had jokes for days, and was so down to earth, but was serious about us learning our stuff. One of those guys you just felt really comfortable around. From the start they were all cool. And then today we met our main Tss's, Cox and E.t, both very interested in teaching us and getting us prepared to pass this training course and become successful T/O's. We also met Quinones today. really cool guys. Idk if all TSS's are as helpful and cool as they all have been, but I surely do hope so!

Thats what we did when they gave us those signal books we was told to STUDY it every day!

Two people failed in our group they was asked to hand in their tools that day...

Wow...sucks they failed. @Rtoman, In your opinion, once you studied the book everyday, was the test still as difficult as it seems like in the beginning? I'm sure that as I continue to study it will come naturally to me but I was just curious as to what you thought

Word to the Wise regarding these Signals you just posted, when you take the Signals Quiz the meaning of the signal MUST be what they teach you it is. Have anybody gotten their signals Book? If so Study that Effer left and right those are the signals you will be tested on.. Stay away from any Online stuff! All it will do is get you clipped if you fail that quiz and they arent playing!!!

Yes they gave it to us the first day we reported to the learning center. It's in the induction manual and they also gave us a separate pamplet which has every signal in the system we will need to know. I'll continue to review them every night. So far I've got about 90% of them memorize. The TSS's have been reviewing all signals with us and drilling them into our heads every morning as well.