The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure the signals clear in front of you. Never rely on the posted speed for grade/station time signals.

Wording is everything down under.  I know what you mean by this but for those who are truly new and haven't gotten this far along in the process this statement can be misleading. I know you mean let the yellow over S turn to green in front of your train, but by definition yellow/yellow over S/yellow over D are clear signals.

At the end of the day you're right. When you're new let the yellow timed signals turn to green.

One important: If you are going to a station to punch for the correct lineup, make sure you keep your train under control because the homeball at certain stations is at danger and is closer to the station and there is no reason to barrel down at high speed.

One important: If you are going to a station to punch for the correct lineup, make sure you keep your train under control because the homeball at certain stations is at danger and is closer to the station and there is no reason to barrel down at high speed.

Thats all over the B Div.. 36th and 59th streets along 4th ave anyone?

• 1 month later...

Yea if you are a T/O because they needed 20 in each division. C/R was 10 for A and the rest B division. Didn't matter to me since I wanted B since I don't live far from 248 school or Coney Island.

I believe he's talking job assignment pick....

The summer pick is usually the better one as was mine... The winter pick he might fall back a little due to VR folks picking road jobs..

Now he can Enjoy a steady schedule from here on!

Edited by RTOMan

My main thing was getting to stay AMs and I got to do it and got 3 days on the Deuce and 1 Day out of VC and 1 day ouf the the East on the 5, good jobs too. And like Elantra said getting away from the Crew office is the best but getting this nice of a pick was the icing on the cake.  Can't wait for it to start, no more 4 am reports out of GC for me Buddy.

Congrats guys on able to pick.  How long were you extra extra ?  I am not quite there yet but one day I hope to write a post like yours. :)

we were xxtra for a little over a year.  You will get there with all the retirements going on you wont be xxtra for long.

Yeah same here. I was able to get 5 days out of VC. The good part is no more having to call the crew office for rdo's and job assignments. Having a steady schedule is a lot better.

Yes it is we was extra extra for almost FIVE years you have no idea what it was like to have some sort of a life!

Damn.. my hats off to you and everyone else who had it that long.  You guys definitely paid your dues and respect you for that !

Any tips on how to manage life as extra extra ? You ever had 10 or less hours between shifts ?

I have seen some people as extra extra they have bloodshot eyes and are walking zombies man. Its to a point where I would be afraid of them operating because they looked like they could fall asleep standing up.

Edited by Tommy John

Damn.. my hats off to you and everyone else who had it that long.  You guys definitely paid your dues and respect you for that !

Any tips on how to manage life as extra extra ? You ever had 10 or less hours between shifts ?

I have seen some people as extra extra they have bloodshot eyes and are walking zombies man. Its to a point where I would be afraid of them operating because they looked like they could fall asleep standing up.

Get your rest as much as you can thats the best advice.

I never worked Midnights(thank god) so im sure for folks who work them and have families its tough.

Now as for the 10 hrs or less it depends..

Remember you have to get home. TA only looks at the time you start and Clear. 

Im sure i have had plenty of those days but heck i cant remember them lol...

Yup pick was great. Xtra xtra for a year and a few months but seemed like forever. I truly sympathize with those that were xtra xtra for 5 years. That's crazy. I actually feel bad for the people they finish up the hiring blitz with because once they get their numbers together, those last few hires will be xtra xtra for years also as movement slows down. We came in at the right time I guess. They say it's rare you get RDO relief on the AMs with good jobs on your first pick. I could have gotten 5 straight days on the line I picked but decided I'll pick 1 day somewhere else to break up the routine a bit. There's been times where I've been scheduled less that 10 hours between jobs. A couple times I had late clears and wound up with less that 8 hours between jobs smh. Sometimes I called them to change my next day job, sometimes I just stuck it out. Depends on how I felt. Work with the crew office and they will work with you.

Schoolcar will be hiring 40 train operators and 60 conductors every month for as long as their hiring plan extends forward at the present time. This is typically never less than 6 months, and very likely to be at least until the end of the calendar year.

Beyond that is anyone's guess, but there are a lot of people talking retirement within the next 2 years, so there will continue to be a need for new hires.

Edited by SubwayGuy