The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case, he should get in touch with schoolcar, and let them contact the crew office regarding the aforementioned days on his behalf as it will be more likely to make something happen. (This assumes the date in question is during a scheduled YX day, as opposed to a posting day).

That said, he will still need a legitimate reason for the request.

Edited by SubwayGuy

In that case, he should get in touch with schoolcar, and let them contact the crew office regarding the aforementioned days on his behalf as it will be more likely to make something happen. (This assumes the date in question is during a scheduled YX day, as opposed to a posting day).

That said, he will still need a legitimate reason for the request.

Agreed it better be a great one immediate family related.

Can someone please explain to me what I did wrong in terms of how to save an AVA day.

Back in late May I called the IVR, followed the automated prompt and entered July 4th to have that holiday saved (I know I enter 07/04/14 or 07/04/2014) whatever the instructions said I did. Then it gave me a confirmation letter/number which I wrote down.(It was 2 letters followed by 5 numbers) I assumed I did the process right because it gave me a confirmation number that I saved the holiday.  Though, today I found out that  I got paid for that holiday and it didn't save it ? Anyone got any inputs would be great. 

After you got the confirmation #, a prompt will play which says "To hear your confirmation number again, press 1. To not, press 2"

If you don't press 2, your request never actually goes in.

Once you press 2, you will hear "your request has been submitted" and the prompt will go back to the main menu. Then, and only then, can you hang up.

Question about exception claim form during posting. Still got a couple of questions. I been overhearing from other people road posting that they are screwing up on what to write and their OT slips are getting rejected.

Scenario #1

Location #1

On your posting papers it says report to Location #1 at 06:00.  Dispatcher (from what I read on here) suppose to write down manually on the payroll 06:00 to 14:00.

A) Lets just say no trainer wants to take me and I wait till 08:00 for someone willing to take me.  His job is 2xx from 08:00 to 16:00 but clears at location # 2

Before I leave this dispatcher do I fill out an OT slip for early report or board time from 06:00 to 08:00 hours ?

The top of the OT form should be this way ?

Regular Assignment  2xx     Report  08:00    Relief 16:00

What should I fill in for the Code, Line/Location, Run No. and Comment Section ?

At the end of the day at location #2

1) This dispatcher suppose to manually write my name on this payroll that I posted job 2xx from 08:00 to 16:00 ?

2) I put in OT form for 2 hours late clear, code 40 ( 14:00 to 16:00) ?

3) Plus deadhead time back to location #1 ?

4) Anything else ?

Thanks again guys..

OK I'm going to keep this as simple as possible in that somewhat complicated scenario. Assume for the example you are posting on the #6 line and reporting to Pelham Bay (PEL), and are posted with a trainer who has a job with a layup who clears in Westchester Yard (WES).

AT LOCATION #1 (Original Report)
-0600 report for work at PEL.

Dispatcher at Location 1 puts you on the manual from 0600 at PEL to 1400 at PEL. No one is available or willing to take you as a student yet, so you are told to sit down in the crew room and wait for someone. You SIGN IN ONLY, and leave the "out" blank.

-0800 someone agrees to take you as a student.

Dispatcher at Location 1 calls you back and you meet your trainer who has a job (let's call the job 218) from 0800 at PEL to 1600, but clears at WES. You don't fill out any overtime slips yet. You meet your trainer, give him/her your name and pass # for his/her overtime slip, and that's it. In the comments on the manual where you signed in, the Dispatcher or you will write something along the lines of "Student Posting 6-218."

That's it for location #1.

Now....

AT LOCATION 2 (CLEARING LOCATION):

You've posted on the entire job and it's time to go home. The Dispatcher at Westchester Yard will not have you on the manual since it's a different location. You will need to be added to the manual. You will probably have to show the Dispatcher your posting paper.

The manual should match the manual at the original location (Pelham Bay) exactly. Your reporting location should read PEL 06:00 and your clearing time and location should read PEL 14:00. And your comments should read "Student Posting 6-218", and "SQ" in the remarks, EXACTLY like Pelham Bay.

You will NOT be signing in again. Place a bunch of X's (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) on the IN line of the manual at Westchester Yard and sign OUT only.

Now you will be filling out your overtime slip - at the end of the day. Here is what it should have on it:

Regular assignment: Student posting 6-218 Report: 0600 Relief: 1400 Date: The actual date Actual OT Date: The date the overtime on the slip counts for.

A quick word on date/actual OT date - this only comes into play usually when working midnights or a PM job that clears after midnight. If you're filling out a slip for a PM job on 8/25 after you clear at 1am on 8/26, the "actual OT date" will be 8/25, while the "date" will be 8/26. Just make sure you fill out the dates correctly.

THEN....

First Code = 40 (Late Clear)
Line/Location = Line you posted / location you are filling the slip out at. Sticking to the example, Say it's the 6 line. You reported to Pelham (PEL) at 0600 and picked up a job that clears at Westchester Yard (WES). Line/Location = 6/WES.
Run No. = 6-### (job number you posted on) and add the word POST after if posting. So if it's 218 job, 6-218 POST. You NEED to do this so your slip does not get mixed up with your trainer's should a situation arise where both of you are filling out a slip for the same thing, so it's good practice to always do it when posting. Any discrepancy, they will only pay one of you and since your trainer's name is on the job you might end up "S.O.L."...

Second Code = 49 (Deadhead)

Line/Location = 6 / WES -> PEL
Run No. = Still 6/218 POST.
Comments: = "Student posting on #6 line. Reported to PEL at 0600 as per posting papers and posted on job 218 which begins at 0800. Posted entirety of 6-218 which clears at 1600 in WES. Added deadhead allowance back to PEL."

And that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions about rejected OT forms:

1) I see at some terminals a lot, I mean, A LOT of "rejected" OT slips in a bin.  Besides coming back and actually going through the bin you would never know it got rejected until you look on your check and/or a couple of days later have a dispatcher look at your hours worked on their computer ?

2) Is it true that they are suppose to mail to your house the rejected OT slips? <== An old timer T/O told me this 

3) Are dispatchers suppose to input all the OT slips at the end of the day ? I see some dispatchers enter them the same day and others don't do it, instead they mail it to timekeeping ?

Thanks.

Edited by Tommy John

I have an OT question. I was on board at a location and picked up a job at that same location. I was handing my OT slip before I went out, and the dispatcher was looking at it funny. Confused cuz of a supplement, the there is an early report, so I added that in. He said because I was on board I didnt have to put the early report cuz I'd still get paid if I put the board time without the ER, if I put the board with the original report time. Does it make a difference?

If you are extra board and picked up a job with an early report, the board time will fill the time you report to the early report time the job you picked up starts.

Always check the sign in sheet on the reporting time vs the supplement. If it does not match, put er and the interval you made out on the slip. Any late clear on the supplement that it is not on the sign out sheet you put that as well with the interval you made out.

For example, you could 2 overlapping supplements at the same time because 1 has an early report and late clear G.O. and another has a running time adjustment in effect until further notice.

The A division daily supplement s 60 on 1 to 6 lines has the early report time built into the sign in sheet.

The 2 line had a midnight G.O. where the early report was not built in to the sign in sheet.

Always check. It is your money.

Edited by cybeatsul

Can anyone share any tips on braking on the R-46 ?  I am posting on the A line and is my first time on the 46 during posting.  I was all over the place, not out of the station, but its either I come up short where the marker is at the beginning of the bulkhead or a little too far where the marker is at the end of my cab window.

I am actually more comfortable with two handed operation and prefer 68a's over the 46s.. I know every 46 can brake differently but this is what I noticed.

1) I was going about 5 mph (just passed the 8 car marker) and noticed I took too much brake and about to stop, I put it to coast, then grabbed brake back immediately, it wasn't grabbing then I put the MC in full service and the marker was at the end of my cab window.

2) I noticed on some 46 there is a delay just like the 68as if you release all the way you can't get it back until its too late.

3) The 46 is much harder to stop when going slow/moderate speed than coming in with authority, more so than with any other train with my limited experience.

I never had so much trouble with stopping a train than with a 46. Obviously I have not mastered any train yet, not even remotely close, but I am not all over the place with other models.

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

1. You came in too slow dynamic brakes drop out under 15 MPH.

2 that's right you got Ecam which gives you are hard time when you release and try to get it back. Also harder going at slower speeds.

You will develop your own way the more you work with them. I use to just take 20 to 30 pounds stopping it.

Just going to post this in general for anyone:

OVERTIME SLIP BASICS

BEING ON THE BOARD

If you are on the board, and pick up a whole job - for purposes of the slip, your "job" is the job you picked up, and your start and end times should match the job you picked up. The time you signed onto the board until the time the job starts is your BOARD TIME (code 46).

Example: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Your job on the slip is 3xx from 1400 to 2200. Code 46 for 1300-1400 (60 mins OT + 30 mins Bonus). Always leave night diff blank, timekeeping will do it. Comments: Reported 1300 for extra board & picked up job 3xx.

If you are on the board, and pick up part of a job - for purposes of the slip, your "job" is the board job, and your start and end times should match your board report, and your board report + 8 hours. Anything beyond that is a LATE CLEAR (code 40). If the part of the job you work finishes before 8 hours after your report time, you still have to stay at your board location to sign out.

Example #1: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up the first trip of job 3xx which works 1745-0145. You finish your half of the job at 2130. Your job on the slip is your board job from 1300-2100. You're entitled to a late clear for 2100-2130.

Example #2: Report 1300 for extra board. Pick up job 2xx halfway through which works from 1000-1800. Your job is your board job (let's call it 601) from 1300-2100. You're not entitled to any pay (unless you got a no lunch) because from 1800-2100 you still have boost time.

Hope this helps!

I have a question. I was on board at 1 location, and picked up part of a job at another location. By what your saying, I reported at 0500, and picked up last 2 trips of job 2xx at another location. So that means I wouldnt be putting job 2xx on the ot slip, I would be putting the board job on the slip? Where do I find the board job, I didnt know they had job numbers. First time ive been in a situation like this

Thanks Pelham Bay Dave for your response.  As a general guideline for the most part should I take a min brake 1/3 to half way in the station, hold that min brake, take more if need be and ideally should be releasing down to min brake on the way to a stop to the marker while trying never to put it into coast ?

The R46s differ from train to train. Sometimes you get a really good train that brakes well, other times you get a train where it doesn't start braking until you give it 50lbs. One thing I noticed is when you are braking and you go to coast, if you hear that loud WHOOSH of air, usually the train braked good but if you are braking and go to coast and you DONT hear the loud WHOOSH of air, the train braked poorly. Your right about the train being harder to brake at slower speeds than if you come in hard. I had no problem braking at Nostrand Ave SB coming in at 46MPH but going uphill between 191st and 175th streets coming in at 23MPH was always a challenge it seems.

The 46s on the A line are for the most part MUCH better than the ones in Queens on the F.

I have a question. I was on board at 1 location, and picked up part of a job at another location. By what your saying, I reported at 0500, and picked up last 2 trips of job 2xx at another location. So that means I wouldnt be putting job 2xx on the ot slip, I would be putting the board job on the slip? Where do I find the board job, I didnt know they had job numbers. First time ive been in a situation like this

Correct. Your job on the slip is the board job, and the fact you picked up the last two trips of another job are a "late clear" along with "deadhead/travel time" since you're clearing at a different location.

Whenever this happens, look on the payroll for your board job number when you sign in and note it somewhere. If you forget, you can always check the crew assignment sheets for your board job number if the board job was assigned in advance. However, if you "fell to the board" due to a double report, this won't work, and you'll have to either call the crew office or your sign on location to get your board job number if you didn't get it from the payroll when you signed in.

You will see your board job number to the right of the lines to sign in and out on the payroll at your starting location. Just as you might see this when working a road job:

Job No.

RD

You will see something like this when you're on board to the right of the sign in and out lines:

Job No.

BD

Edited by SubwayGuy

Can anyone share any tips on braking on the R-46 ?  I am posting on the A line and is my first time on the 46 during posting.  I was all over the place, not out of the station, but its either I come up short where the marker is at the beginning of the bulkhead or a little too far where the marker is at the end of my cab window.

I am actually more comfortable with two handed operation and prefer 68a's over the 46s.. I know every 46 can brake differently but this is what I noticed.

1) I was going about 5 mph (just passed the 8 car marker) and noticed I took too much brake and about to stop, I put it to coast, then grabbed brake back immediately, it wasn't grabbing then I put the MC in full service and the marker was at the end of my cab window.

2) I noticed on some 46 there is a delay just like the 68as if you release all the way you can't get it back until its too late.

3) The 46 is much harder to stop when going slow/moderate speed than coming in with authority, more so than with any other train with my limited experience.

I never had so much trouble with stopping a train than with a 46. Obviously I have not mastered any train yet, not even remotely close, but I am not all over the place with other models.

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

46's are probably the poster child for no two trains brake alike. Take advantage of the first few stations to figure out what kind of brake you have. These are the sorts of things you will want to figure out with an R-46 in the first few stations:

-Is the minimum brake heavy, or light? (As a note: R-46 minimum brakes are generally fairly heavy when you are going 35 MPH or more. They are fairly light when you are going 25 MPH or less, and in between at 25-35. However some cars really bang when you take even the smallest brake at high speeds...that's why this is here)

-How much of a delay is there between pulling brake, and getting it (the cars have an electric brake package so there will be a delay which can vary from less than half a second, to sometimes a second or more). Note this delay will apply when taking an initial brake, but also when pulling more brake when a brake is already applied, and represents the delay before you feel the additional brake.

-How much brake the train gives back when you pull brake well into the service range, and release to minimum brake. Some trains hold a much heavier brake in minimum brake under this circumstance than others.

Once you know these things about YOUR train - and I stress this because every train is different, you can begin to make the necessary adjustments.

Tips and Tricks with the R-46:

-Always start with a minimum brake and adjust from there. It makes the ride a lot smoother.

-Once you pull a brake, try to always hold that brake, even if you have to go to minimum. Once you go into coast (or, technically, more than halfway in the space between minimum brake and coast - there is some play there we will talk about later) you will lose your brakes, and as you mentioned, experience a delay when you pull them back, and will feel the train appear to "slide" in the process.

-Try to be releasing brake as you approach the stop vs. grabbing more. If operated the second way, the R-46 can make some very rough/uncomfortable stops. It's not a goal to try and stop the train in full service each time. You want to be giving brake back as you approach the 10 car marker.

-If you have a train that doesn't give brake back well (IE you grab, say, 30 pounds of air, realize you're going to undershoot the mark, and start releasing brake, but the train is still stopping too quickly) move the controller handle very carefully just past minimum brake, but NO MORE THAN HALFWAY between minimum brake and coast. This will let go of more air but keep the brake applied so you won't feel the buck of going to coast nor experience the same delay if you feel the need to pull more brake. This technique takes practice but will give you much better control of the train. Leave yourself room so if you do overshoot and accidentally coast, you're not doing this in a part of the station that will cause you to run out. You can also use this technique coming from coast if you want a very light initial application of the brakes, although at high speeds it will feel very similar to a minimum brake.

-At high speeds only: If you can't get the train not to buck when taking an initial brake (train has heavy initial brake) try sweeping the controller further into the service range than minimum brake, and quickly bringing it back to minimum brake. Sometimes this has the effect of making the initial slowdown "feel" smoother.

-Always coast for a few seconds before you take a brake, same as with other SMEE cars.

-When accelerating, keep the controller in minimum brake until you get indication (you really shouldn't be taking full service every stop, but if you are, when you hear the door closing chime, go to minimum brake - Exception: leaving signal is red. Take a full service and don't do a thing till it clears except buzz your partner...you'll never hit a leaving red this way). When you get indication, move slowly from minimum brake to parallel. If the train really bangs when you take power still, you have to adjust your operation even further. For these trains, when you get indication go from minimum brake to switching and hold it there until you feel the train start to roll, then notch up to series, and then parallel. Train won't bang this way.

Happy 46ing!

Edited by SubwayGuy

Thanks guys for your feedback.  Awesome responses ! I am glad my trainer was really cool.  He says a lot of new people have problems braking on a 46, more so than a 68/68as.  Also, I forgot to mention that 46 which I was operating the air brake light sometimes come on when I am in power. He told me some 46's do that and I must take a light brake then back to coast/power for the brakes to become unstuck. Not sure if that is the proper way to do it but it worked.  Only happened twice during my trip.

Thanks Andrew and as always thanks SubwayGuy for your detailed responses !

• 4 weeks later...

Of course.

First week won't be a lot of job specific things - mostly required trainings you must go through as part of your induction. ADA, National Security, Escape Mask, etc. You should do track safety by the end of the week (whether you walk the tracks or not), as well as substance abuse / fatigue awareness. You'll also get your tools by the end of the week.

Next week you'll get into more job specifics after you break down into your smaller classes.

Thanks @SubwayGuy. Word of advice to anyone coming to the school who is new, like myself......take the trains. Unfortunately, had a an equipment problem with LIRR this morning which forced me to drive. Took me 25 mins of driving up & down streets to find a spot. If you have to drive, give yourself extra time, otherwise take the train