The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Hello Guys/Gals,

I started school car last week Monday, and we finally finished up all the orientation and paperwork as of today. Of course, the orientation had me all pumped at times, and nervous as well. The thought of not making it through this, is kind of overwhelming at times. We met with a Superintendent, and Various Senior Director throughout the week, whom most of them gave some positive speeches.

Tomorrow will be our my first day breaking up into groups, I will be at PS 248 tomorrow for the "Right To know and Bio Hearing class", then the following days we will be visiting all the different yards. I'm in the "A" division, which is great, and my TSSI's are Albanese and James. I'm highly anxious to be feed a lot of information, of course expecting that I keep up. Everyone in my group (including myself) are worried about the signal test, but we will do our part by studying at home.

I will keep everyone updated, and ask questions from time to time. Pleased wish me well.  :)

School car is what you make of it buddy, sure Tss can be demanding, strict, and rub you the wrong way but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much you want this job and how much you put into it.  Don't worry about the signals you will know them all if you study hard and they go over them all the time even when your not in the class room. If you make a mistake learn from it, most people don't come out of school car polished train operators, that comes from experience on the road operating these trains day in and day out.  All that stuff about being aggressive and coming in hard in my opinion is not helping anyone be a better train operator, that comes with time.  Is  no wonder we have so many signals being hit and so many stations overruns, Am not saying be scared to operate but learn the lines get a feel for the train, the speed you are moving  with out looking at the speedometer these are thing that come with experience and you don't get that while you in school car you get that on the road.  Another thing is get to know your classmates they will be your family for the next 6 months and the rest of your transit career.  Good luck hope to see you on the road.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know TSS James very well. When I first came out of Schoolcar onto the road in the summer of 2010, she was the Midnight TSS on the N line and she rode my trains several times. She was always on point with the rules to me but was always cordial and easy to talk to. She is also one of the hardest working Female Supervisors I know, she would always respond to calls no matter where they were and she never complained about anything. 

My guess on why she is the way she is has to do with this job. Being a T/O is no joke and to be perfectly honestly with you, if one cannot handle a TSS in school car getting loud with them for something, how the heck is the said individual going to handle a Train that goes BIE during the rush hour and now they have to do their walk around investigation with RCC calling them every 5 minutes. Or how are you going to handle having to discharge a packed train at a major gap station and having to walk back and clean out your train with people cursing at you and asking question after question on what they should do to get home? 

I had retired TSS Joe Bauer for school car and he would challenge everyone in the class and find their weak spot and capitalize on it in front of the entire class. He was very confrontational at times as well and although I didn't understand it back then, I understand it now. Since I have have been out on my own, there has not been a single thing that has happened to me that was more stressful than some of the times I had in school car, and That is a damn good thing. Bauer was an excellent school car TSS and the majority of his former students have all managed to keep out of trouble and are having excellent careers down here. 

If James does yell at anyone here, DXO NOT take it personally OR Become offended, suck it up, listen to what she tells you and I Guarantee you, you will Thank Her one day.

School car is what you make of it buddy, sure Tss can be demanding, strict, and rub you the wrong way but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much you want this job and how much you put into it.  Don't worry about the signals you will know them all if you study hard and they go over them all the time even when your not in the class room. If you make a mistake learn from it, most people don't come out of school car polished train operators, that comes from experience on the road operating these trains day in and day out.  All that stuff about being aggressive and coming in hard in my opinion is not helping anyone be a better train operator, that comes with time.  Is  no wonder we have so many signals being hit and so many stations overruns, Am not saying be scared to operate but learn the lines get a feel for the train, the speed you are moving  with out looking at the speedometer these are thing that come with experience and you don't get that while you in school car you get that on the road.  Another thing is get to know your classmates they will be your family for the next 6 months and the rest of your transit career.  Good luck hope to see you on the road.

I know TSS James very well. When I first came out of Schoolcar onto the road in the summer of 2010, she was the Midnight TSS on the N line and she rode my trains several times. She was always on point with the rules to me but was always cordial and easy to talk to. She is also one of the hardest working Female Supervisors I know, she would always respond to calls no matter where they were and she never complained about anything. 

My guess on why she is the way she is has to do with this job. Being a T/O is no joke and to be perfectly honestly with you, if one cannot handle a TSS in school car getting loud with them for something, how the heck is the said individual going to handle a Train that goes BIE during the rush hour and now they have to do their walk around investigation with RCC calling them every 5 minutes. Or how are you going to handle having to discharge a packed train at a major gap station and having to walk back and clean out your train with people cursing at you and asking question after question on what they should do to get home? 

I had retired TSS Joe Bauer for school car and he would challenge everyone in the class and find their weak spot and capitalize on it in front of the entire class. He was very confrontational at times as well and although I didn't understand it back then, I understand it now. Since I have have been out on my own, there has not been a single thing that has happened to me that was more stressful than some of the times I had in school car, and That is a damn good thing. Bauer was an excellent school car TSS and the majority of his former students have all managed to keep out of trouble and are having excellent careers down here. 

If James does yell at anyone here, DXO NOT take it personally OR Become offended, suck it up, listen to what she tells you and I Guarantee you, you will Thank Her one day.

Thank you very much. Your points have been taken. 

All is going well at school car, now we are just processing and working on retaining all the information, mainly signals. Walking the yard yesterday was a good experience. The staff in the yard were friendly, and gave advice. This is a great experience.

Edited by ErikNYC

Today was our fourth day in schoolcar, we were at the Bedford Park YD, walked the tracks, visited the tower, and did some classroom work. Of course the first thing in the morning they gave us was a pop quiz on signal. Everyone in the class pretty much failed the quiz, and started feeling down and out. I know it's the first few day, but the pressure started building since then.

I'm sure the feeling of failure so early in this stage is normal. We are working on retaining the information, and we all plan to meet up this weekend.The day before the class did so well defining the signals as a group. Now, we just need to work on retaining the information we are given.

Ughhh! The feeling of failure (or loosing what you dream of obtaining) never feels good. The plan is to study study study!

Today was our fourth day in schoolcar, we were at the Bedford Park YD, walked the tracks, visited the tower, and did some classroom work. Of course the first thing in the morning they gave us was a pop quiz on signal. Everyone in the class pretty much failed the quiz, and started feeling down and out. I know it's the first few day, but the pressure started building since then.

I'm sure the feeling of failure so early in this stage is normal. We are working on retaining the information, and we all plan to meet up this weekend.The day before the class did so well defining the signals as a group. Now, we just need to work on retaining the information we are given.

Ughhh! The feeling of failure (or loosing what you dream of obtaining) never feels good. The plan is to study study study!

When I got the signal book when I began school car, I studied for an hour a day, 7 days a week. Thats all it took. 

Signals is NOT a test you can cram for, if you don't know them by the time you take the exam, you should not be here, simple as that.

There are going to be times in school car when you will have your weak moments, I had mine on APRIL 16 2010 when I failed the second pratical which was preparing a Train for Road service. I did not grasp zoning and rezoning a train. I took the retest on MAY 5 2010 and passed and to this day, I am as good as most conductors are when it comes to the doors. 

Sometimes failing at something is the best thing, because you then truly learn how to do it.

The first 2-4 weeks are going to be overwhelming for you, a lot is going to be thrown at you but don't be discouraged, things will get clearer as time goes on. You have a LOT to learn over the next 9 months and THEN the REAL learning begins, just LISTEN to the instructors and you will do good.

When I got the signal book when I began school car, I studied for an hour a day, 7 days a week. Thats all it took. 

Signals is NOT a test you can cram for, if you don't know them by the time you take the exam, you should not be here, simple as that.

There are going to be times in school car when you will have your weak moments, I had mine on APRIL 16 2010 when I failed the second pratical which was preparing a Train for Road service. I did not grasp zoning and rezoning a train. I took the retest on MAY 5 2010 and passed and to this day, I am as good as most conductors are when it comes to the doors. 

Sometimes failing at something is the best thing, because you then truly learn how to do it.

The first 2-4 weeks are going to be overwhelming for you, a lot is going to be thrown at you but don't be discouraged, things will get clearer as time goes on. You have a LOT to learn over the next 9 months and THEN the REAL learning begins, just LISTEN to the instructors and you will do good.

Sounds good. I will keep my head up. I'm ready! Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow-up.

Everything has fallen in place, and I'm not as overwhelmed any longer. The ahhhaa moment took about three weeks. Road days has literally been an adventure for us. Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

Tomorrow will be our first yard practical. Wish us luck!

Passed my first yard practical today, which was overseen by three instructors asking us questions left and right. Seven out of three in my class passed, the ones who failed are currently undergoing tutoring, and will retaking their portion of the practical.

It was a long day, but thankfully it is all over-with. Monday is the mid-term exam, and the following week we will have out signal test. :ph34r:

for those in training and school car, do you guys drive to these locations if so how is parking?

Just ask your instructor about parking the day before you meet up. Most location we go to in the A division has adequate parking, or parking right outside of the yard.

• 2 weeks later...

@Erik, can you provide any tips for the practicals? My class will be taking our first practical in two weeks.

Take your time, control your nerves, and try and be the first one to be called upon. Also, don't forget "permission to proceed". 

Other than that it's everything you were taught over and over again, for the first practical. The second practical be may another thing, you might not get much practice... but I passed. We have a class of eight, and six people failed the second practical, they have another chance tomorrow.

Edited by ErikNYC