The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

I noticed that you can't get a good reference to the signal tests online. And if you do find material about it online then it's not as accurate like what they teach in school car. I also noticed that the train operators here are not going to dwell too much specifics about the signal definition on here. Which is probably a good reason. It's something you will know when you need to know. 

I can't find a single video on how real train operators operate a subway in the cabin. Those BVE simulator videos are cool but I want to just see what its like.

Also quick question about braking. I know every train model is different. But sensitivity wise is there a delay in braking? And how much difference between a empty car and a packed car?

Can you take food and eat while operating the train? I'm sorry for stupid questions.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone that has taken the signal's tests share an example as to how detailed they want the definitions to signals? Is it full sentence? Few words defining? How exact?

Full details and sentences. Your instructor will provide the definition, for their class, as per school car.

Just selected the A division. I'm glad I was able to get one of the ten available spots for the A division. The rest of the class went to the B division. I'm hoping I see a lot of Corona yard.

The majority of A division yards are in the Bronx.

I noticed that you can't get a good reference to the signal tests online. And if you do find material about it online then it's not as accurate like what they teach in school car. I also noticed that the train operators here are not going to dwell too much specifics about the signal definition on here. Which is probably a good reason. It's something you will know when you need to know. 

I can't find a single video on how real train operators operate a subway in the cabin. Those BVE simulator videos are cool but I want to just see what its like.

Also quick question about braking. I know every train model is different. But sensitivity wise is there a delay in braking? And how much difference between a empty car and a packed car?

Can you take food and eat while operating the train? I'm sorry for stupid questions.

All of this will be covered when you start, and you will have plenty of time to practice and study.

Every single train car is different. The same car will handle differently from its two ends. What you need to learn in schoolcar is how to operate by feel, and to practice train control. This will give you general guidelines which trains perform in, then it will be up to you to adjust your operation for the specific car and consist that you are operating. This means how grabby or how slack the brakes feel, how quickly they apply, how quickly they release, the point at which dynamic brakes switch to friction, and where exactly on the brake valve all of these actions take place.

Car Equipment (who maintains the trains) has thresholds for performance that the train has to meet in order to be OK for service. Once it meets them, the rest (the finer points) is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

If somebody who has 10 years or more in title as a train operator or bus operator switches to conductor, would that person start out making the top pay rate for train operator or bus operator, or would that person start out making rookie pay for a conductor?

If somebody who has 10 years or more in title as a train operator or bus operator switches to conductor, would that person start out making the top pay rate for train operator or bus operator, or would that person start out making rookie pay for a conductor?

It would be a demotion, so unless it was disciplinary, you cannot go downward.

Hey guys quick question when you first get a letter to go down for processing for employment for conductor or train operator what happens if you need a different date? Let's say they tell you to report on a Wednesday but you are working on a Wednesday and your employer won't give you the day off?

Hey guys quick question when you first get a letter to go down for processing for employment for conductor or train operator what happens if you need a different date? Let's say they tell you to report on a Wednesday but you are working on a Wednesday and your employer won't give you the day off?

From my experience, it is most likely for a drug test. Therefore, just call the HR office, and they'll work it out with you. As long as you come in within a week, in my opinion, you should be fine.

To voluntarily demote yourself to C/R from T/O:

*Must have been a C/R

*Have probationary status as a T/O. After probation is at the discretion of HR.

T/Os who were C/Rs can be demoted back for disciplinary action(mainly operational). T/Os who were never C/Rs cannot be demoted to C/R as far as I know, even if they're OPTO qualified. To cleaner maybe, but not C/R.

As far as B/Os, they cannot demote to C/R period. T/Os who were B/Os can. As far as pay for the demotion, top pay at their new title more than likely.

Edited by Tricknologist

Hey guys I have a question about conductors. Do they have steady shifts everyday? And do they get mandatory overtime?

Nothing steady until you pick. Overtime is "optional", but you get paid for every minute u run late.

Hey guys I have a question about conductors. Do they have steady shifts everyday? And do they get mandatory overtime?

When you are new, no to steady shifts. You will bounce around your subdivision at the behest of the Crew Office, although they may try to keep you close to home, or on a preferred tour with preferred days off (at their discretion).

Once you have the seniority to pick a job, if you are able (and desire) to pick regular jobs, you can. There are some assignments that are picked that don't have regular jobs, some people prefer these.

Overtime is complicated, and there are numerous scenarios that can play out, and each is governed by particular rules. There are too many to list here. There will always be the possibility of mandatory overtime when you come to work, even when you have the seniority to pick regular assignments. However, until you pick, or if you pick an assignment that doesn't have a regular job, the number of ways you can be forced to work mandatory overtime are greater than when you pick a regular job, although it does boil down somewhat to the specifics of exactly which job you pick. If you like money, there is overtime here. If you don't, then you can turn down voluntary overtime, but mandatory overtime will still pop up from time to time. "Needs of the service," it's the nature of the job. And a sacrifice you need to make if you want a defined benefit pension in an age where they are disappearing as fast as the middle class is.

Edited by SubwayGuy