The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

On 12/20/2018 at 6:25 PM, nipaaaa said:

My class took the R68 from Stillwell to 205 st. I had stops from 145 st to 174-175 st. Going back, we were routed on the Q line so I made stops from 7 ave to Beverley Rd. The braking on this train has a slight more delay than the 32/42. I'm getting the hang of cutting and adding, just gotta remember to throw the reverser key in the correct direction... Everything else is going smoothly.

Tomorrow will be intro to R160 at CIYD

I know that others may Not be commenting. But as someone whose list no for medicals is still 300 spots from where they currently are at livingston, thx for this! Please keep sharing. How does it feel to apply the train's brakes? And continued good luck to you!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

I know that others may Not be commenting. But as someone whose list no for medicals is still 300 spots from where they currently are at livingston, thx for this! Please keep sharing. How does it feel to apply the train's brakes? And continued good luck to you!

You're not too far off. As for the brakes, there's some finesse to it like shooting a basketball. Everyone will have their own form but the basic idea behind it is the same. There are 2 kinds of braking, friction and dynamic. Friction braking is when going under 15 mph, and that relies on the actual shoepads pressing up against the wheels. Dynamic braking uses electricity and air to apply braking power so it only works when going above 15 mph. In my opinion, I feel that dynamic braking is more responsive, meaning as soon as I apply brake, I would almost immediately feel it whereas friction braking has more of a delay to it. So...that means that if my speed is like ~8 mph about to make a station stop, I have to anticipate the delay and apply brake earlier. It's really tricky to slow down when going really slowly. 

48 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

You're not too far off. As for the brakes, there's some finesse to it like shooting a basketball. Everyone will have their own form but the basic idea behind it is the same. There are 2 kinds of braking, friction and dynamic. Friction braking is when going under 15 mph, and that relies on the actual shoepads pressing up against the wheels. Dynamic braking uses electricity and air to apply braking power so it only works when going above 15 mph. In my opinion, I feel that dynamic braking is more responsive, meaning as soon as I apply brake, I would almost immediately feel it whereas friction braking has more of a delay to it. So...that means that if my speed is like ~8 mph about to make a station stop, I have to anticipate the delay and apply brake earlier. It's really tricky to slow down when going really slowly. 

Hmm. Does the braking feel like in a car?

So I figured I'd post what I've been through here. First day was December 17th. The first week the first 3 days was pretty much orientation for both TA and Union. Lots of paper work and books handed out. Pretty much cut of the river orientation stuff for most big companies, got some equipment the 3rd day at the Union hall. The 4th day Thursday we were back at PS248 we got more equipment and started to learn some basic Acronyms but the most important ones. Learn them! These acronyms that they teach you at the start are gonna come in use for when you first start yard posting on your on. They will be your prayer every day. All classes even A division (I'm B) went down to CI yard and got track certified. Was cool to climb on a R46. Friday was first day of OT. Security was suppose to show to do some training with us but never did. It was a regular learning day, as was Sunday. You usually won't have to do training on Sunday it just applies to us so we can have the holiday eve's and holidays off. So Thursday we started reporting to individual locations. My class started with 207 yard and learning the R32. There was no R32 learning the first day though. We learned about key by signals most of the day and a bit of terminology. Today Thursday we learned some basics on rail components and switch components and safely traversing tracks in yards(Different then when we went to CI yard as we weren't even close to any switches and in yards you will have to traverse switches.)In the later part of the day we did walk the yard and watched how to inspect the R32 and some components under the truck, then climbed aboard the R32. We each took a turn charging the train and dumping the brakes(I didn't really catch on I need a list or something lol).We also knocked off and reapplied the hand brake. No actual movement but was still cool though.More fun tomorrow as we report to ENY yard for the R42!

Edited by LIRRMedford
Left Something Out

53 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

This past week was just cuts&adds on the R160. Yesterday we did road ops with it and I can't see myself driving another SMEE again. Gonna have 2 weeks of R46 next week and ending with a yard practical on the 68s.

Nice. I've heard the R160s are more like controlling a video game and the smee more like moving an actual train.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Nice. I've heard the R160s are more like controlling a video game and the smee more like moving an actual train.

Those stiff NTT master controllers might destroy your wrist and give you arthritis in the long run. Conversely, it takes talent to operate a SMEE seamlessly.

1 hour ago, nipaaaa said:

My wrist did feel it not gonna lie.

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

NTTs are alright to operate but only major issue would be your wrist being prone to Carpal Tunnel in the future, especially with the new MCs on the R179 and R188 equipment, they hurt way more.

That's the reason why I'm concerned for the T/O's out there who are stuck operating those NTT's on a daily basis. It must feel like you've written a textbook by hand after every shift. Just imagine what that'll cause you after several continuous years. If the master controllers on the R143s/R160s could be redesigned and installed in the future to make operating more comfortable, I'm all for it. Also, weren't the master controllers on the pre-Cuomo R160s replaced because they were crap? Those trains were only on the road for 10 years and looked like they were on their last frontier...

18 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

That's the reason why I'm concerned for the T/O's out there who are stuck operating those NTT's on a daily basis. It must feel like you've written a textbook by hand after every shift. Just imagine what that'll cause you after several continuous years. If the master controllers on the R143s/R160s could be redesigned and installed in the future to make operating more comfortable, I'm all for it. Also, weren't the master controllers on the pre-Cuomo R160s replaced because they were crap? Those trains were only on the road for 10 years and looked like they were on their last frontier...

Since I'm from the A I don't really know if they changed the Controllers on them because of that but what I do know is they replaced many MCs due to liquid and food damages inside of the controllers.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Since I'm from the A I don't really know if they changed the Controllers on them because of that but what I do know is they replaced many MCs due to liquid and food damages inside of the controllers.

The men and women who work in A Division run solid equipment compared to that of B Division. So far, the R142s that they run on the (2) and (5) are some of the best quality rolling stock in the entire system. How are the R62s used on the (3) in your opinion? I can't say they'll outlast their tech counterparts, but those things stop with force when you pull that brake handle! When transit releases the new application for the next T/O exam I hope I'm able to get into A Division. The equipment is straightforward and doesn't require you to be qualified on nearly 10 different car types. They can keep that, no thank you. Only catch is that the A is a very strict operating environment compared to the B. With the upgrade of many signals, especially in The Bronx on the A, I'm not sure if T/O's are still required to memorize numerous lineup punches, but they're unforgiving in general!

Honestly I prefer the R62 over the R62A, R62s can roll considering its age but the reason people are scared of them is because of the canned brakes. The dymanics are your best friend with them so you do not want to lose them or your station stop will be hell. Once you master the way of braking a R62 those trains become lightwork but you also have to remember that every train is different so a R62 with great braking will be a treat  but get one that is bad ooh boy, you better find a way to bring that thing to a stop at the 10 first few stations or your trip will be hell. 

Now for the A division... yes it is strict but its not like B is any better with getting away with signal hits too. ATS monitors all of the signals and routes and will tell RCC if you hit one but they can know in B division too. Eyes are everywhere off duty TSS's and superintendents, CCTVs, ATS Computers, and sometimes and hope not your C/R so pretty much the whole system is viewed as strict. Also for memorizing punches ATS pretty much covers that but there are places still with manual punches such as Franklin Av and 138-Grand Concourse. BUT as a T/O ALWAYS NOW YOUR LINE-UPS! G.Os and other situations where towers can become active or your train might be sent down a unfamiliar part of the road can and will happen in your career and it will require you to know your routing. For example you are a 5 and you are getting ready to head into the inner loop at South Ferry, you get Bottom Yellow at 44 ball, alright your going towards the loop however lets say a track condition exist ahead and at 64 ball you get another Bottom Yellow now your going through the outer loop and you expect to be routed back normally onto Lex at 92 ball but you get a green and accept it thinking ATS just did you a favor, now you pass the homeball and your screwed cause your on 7th ave and RCC will tell you that its your fault due to improper operation since you did not know your line-ups so long story short still learn the system and try to get every chance possible to during schoolcar it will help you out on the road.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Honestly I prefer the R62 over the R62A, R62s can roll considering its age but the reason people are scared of them is because of the canned brakes. The dymanics are your best friend with them so you do not want to lose them or your station stop will be hell. Once you master the way of braking a R62 those trains become lightwork but you also have to remember that every train is different so a R62 with great braking will be a treat  but get one that is bad ooh boy, you better find a way to bring that thing to a stop at the 10 first few stations or your trip will be hell. 

Now for the A division... yes it is strict but its not like B is any better with getting away with signal hits too. ATS monitors all of the signals and routes and will tell RCC if you hit one but they can know in B division too. Eyes are everywhere off duty TSS's and superintendents, CCTVs, ATS Computers, and sometimes and hope not your C/R so pretty much the whole system is viewed as strict. Also for memorizing punches ATS pretty much covers that but there are places still with manual punches such as Franklin Av and 138-Grand Concourse. BUT as a T/O ALWAYS NOW YOUR LINE-UPS! G.Os and other situations where towers can become active or your train might be sent down a unfamiliar part of the road can and will happen in your career and it will require you to know your routing. For example you are a 5 and you are getting ready to head into the inner loop at South Ferry, you get Bottom Yellow at 44 ball, alright your going towards the loop however lets say a track condition exist ahead and at 64 ball you get another Bottom Yellow now your going through the outer loop and you expect to be routed back normally onto Lex at 92 ball but you get a green and accept it thinking ATS just did you a favor, now you pass the homeball and your screwed cause your on 7th ave and RCC will tell you that its your fault due to improper operation since you did not know your line-ups so long story short still learn the system and try to get every chance possible to during schoolcar it will help you out on the road.

Very true brother, you never know who’s on your train. The day they re-opened 145 on the 3 I had a superintendent key himself into my cab. No vest uniform or anything just a name tag and his radio. It scared the Sh** out of me. I’m ready to get out of the A division and the middle altogether. Too much drama over here and RCC is so rush rush with everything. 

@AlgorithmOfTruth I’d also suggest you take the next C/R exam as well and move up. It’s a great way to learn the system/job and it will eventually help you when you become a train operator. I definitely want to move up front ASAP since I really don’t enjoy being a C/R, but the knowledge I’ve gained is invaluable. I honestly prefer working with promos than O/C since they’re a lot more helpful and they communicate a lot better. I wish you all the best.

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Very true brother, you never know who’s on your train. The day they re-opened 145 on the 3 I had a superintendent key himself into my cab. No vest uniform or anything just a name tag and his radio. It scared the Sh** out of me. I’m ready to get out of the A division and the middle altogether. Too much drama over here and RCC is so rush rush with everything. 

@AlgorithmOfTruth I’d also suggest you take the next C/R exam as well and move up. It’s a great way to learn the system/job and it will eventually help you when you become a train operator. I definitely want to move up front ASAP since I really don’t enjoy being a C/R, but the knowledge I’ve gained is invaluable. I honestly prefer working with promos than O/C since they’re a lot more helpful and they communicate a lot better. I wish you all the best.

Thank you @Jchambers2120, I really appreciate your encouragement and support. Everything @Biggie mentioned is correct. They can't emphasize it enough -- KNOW YOUR LINEUPS!

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

It's almost as if they had that TSS sabotage your train undercover just to see what you'd do at 145th Street on the (3). You already know that you can't open up the back half of the train.

18 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

It's almost as if they had that TSS sabotage your train undercover just to see what you'd do at 145th Street on the (3). You already know that you can't open up the back half of the train.

Lots of TSS's LOVE to catch people off guard and like to be sneaky but as long your doing your job properly there should not be an issue but SOME supervisors out there are ***holes and like to start chewing on probies to show off their "authority". There are supervisors out there that are willing to help if in need and may be an asset if you ever find trouble with another TSS. That happened to me a while back where a TSS claimed that I did not sound my horn while passing caution lights when I did and was threatening to take me out of service as soon I arrived at White Plains but another TSS I knew from back when I was released to the crew office knew how that other TSS was so he said "Well we can check the time of the incident and match it with the event recorder on the train" that is when he forgot about the whole thing. Also now I think Train Service Supervisors are not required to wear their vest on the platform, I am not to sure on it but I think there was a bulletin on it I'm gonna have to check. They be playing 21 Jump Street lmao

Today for my second simulator visit, I finally got to simulate train operation after 3 real road ops which makes no sense. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I got motion sickness in the simulator while standing next to my classmate operate. I thought I would feel better by sitting but I was about to throw up. I totally wasn't even paying attention to the simulator and ran a red signal 👀 One more week until my first practical

No one in my class got a 100 on the signal quiz, highest was 96 (1 wrong). I got 2 wrong which was the same result from my 1st signal quiz at the simulator.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

Very true brother, you never know who’s on your train. The day they re-opened 145 on the 3 I had a superintendent key himself into my cab. No vest uniform or anything just a name tag and his radio. It scared the Sh** out of me.

That was a super dangerous move by the Superintendent.  He should have introduced himself, showed ID, and wore his vest prior to entering your cab.

Non-uniformed employees MUST wear their vest on the road while on duty performing work.

Today was flagging operations, got to flag trains coming into the 1 track at 7 ave (brooklyn). Felt like a field trip but I rather be cutting/adding and more dry runs for the practical on this Saturday. It's been 3 weeks since I've touched a 68 and I don't know how I'd react on the practical.

55 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Today was flagging operations, got to flag trains coming into the 1 track at 7 ave (brooklyn). Felt like a field trip but I rather be cutting/adding and more dry runs for the practical on this Saturday. It's been 3 weeks since I've touched a 68 and I don't know how I'd react on the practical.

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you guys learning the signals and definitions in verbatim? Is it daily quiz on them? You guys create your own study groups?  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you guys learning the signals and definitions in verbatim? Is it daily quiz on them? You guys create your own study groups?  Thanks.

everyone in the class does it differently. Some are trying to memorize them but it doesn't work (1-2 people are not doing well). The ones who are on track to passing are all writing them out every night. You gotta test yourself every night, write them out. Otherwise they'll never stick. Our TSSs try to give us unofficial signal quizzes every other day. But really, you should be quizzing yourself every night. Some people in the class study together but for the most part everyone is solo. 

First practical today...I thought I failed because I coupled from 1.5 feet. I made my last 2 feet safety stop. I didn't realize that I was going up the grade so when I took power and knocked it off, the train only moved up like 4-6" inches. Then it started rolling backward so I took another point. However the second point had less delay AND more explosive acceleration. I thought I was gonna move another 4-6" inches be good at the 1 foot mark but no that train just exploded forward and coupled.

Turned out that wasn't an autofail? Cuz I didn't get to check the 3 Cs at the 1 foot mark...what if the couplers weren't compatible? I guess the TSS was lenient...