Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
mediccjh

The Schoolcar Experience

1 hour ago, nipaaaa said:

my entire class passed the road test. Final tomorrow and we off to BBQ on thurs

Had a R46 with bad dynamic brakes but I adjusted my operation and rookie rolled all my stops. Better than sliding out of stations amirite?

Congrats! It was today? How many stops did each student have? What line? R46? R68? R160b? 

Also im reading through the jargon of keying a signal and what not. Sounds a bit complex to someone on the outside at first. 

it was yesterday. Everyone had about 10. We went on the F, G, and R

keying is nothing complicated

28 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

it was yesterday. Everyone had about 10. We went on the F, G, and R

keying is nothing complicated

What is keying?

On 6/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, RTOMan said:

Considering you aren't in RTO yet how can you make that claim?

I was in Refresher coruse this past week i know for a Fact 92-19 has exonerated people...

I am in RTO.

They want to speed up service.  It's also contract time.  

22 hours ago, train1290 said:

What is keying?

When you have a red signal with the stop arm in the tripping position (let's say a red automatic signal) keying is a procedure that allows you to pass the signal without getting tripped. This can only be done when the Rail Control Center authorizes it, it can also be done without their permission ONLY IF there is a sign that reads "AK" on which stands for authorized key by or if the signal is in a yard or storage track. You first stop before the signal which would generally be 15ft or at the IJ marker on the 3rd rail. Call control then if they allow you to key by you move up very shortly past Insulated Joint stop then observe the stop arm go down. Lots of automatics are equipped with 10 second key bys which takes 10 seconds for the stop arm to clear. After that you proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution. It's easy just 2 things to remember,  sure you have permission to key when necessary & be careful creeping onto the IJ that you don't take too much power and bang the signal.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 10:37 AM, Late Clear said:

I am in RTO.

They want to speed up service.  It's also contract time.  

Hey this is nothing new 17 years down here they play the same game..

They new trick is amusing they playing in the press now..🤣

So its not like this is news to me..

10 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Hey this is nothing new 17 years down here they play the same game..

They new trick is amusing they playing in the press now..🤣

So its not like this is news to me..

Lately as far as service is concerned, it's been good publicity, other than the assaults.  

Hopefully it'll change the image of NYCTA.  Majority of the people down here do the best they can everyday and 99% of it goes unnoticed.  No one expects a pat on the back for a job well down but the negative light needs to stop.  

On 6/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, acabral136 said:

Hello all, 

I just got sworn in yesterday for the July 22nd class. I'm buying the clothing I need and ordered the boots already, but I remember it being mentioned somewhere what type of bag I should buy. I think it was in this thread. 

Anybody have any recommendations as far as toolbags? I know backpacks or bags with wheels are a no no. 

The KAKA Backpack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHQ3VTJ/ref=twister_B07RDM553K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, kevinetics said:

Like everyone in transit uses these (except me) so make sure you put something on it that will make it stand out like a string or keychain, some pins/patches or something.  

Anything with a removable strap is acceptable as per that bulletin you must carry your bag when you cross the roadbed.