The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

20 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

unfortunately not many people give smooth stops cuz it takes more effort and is a bit slower. I noticed brakes on the R160 is more like car brakes where if you grab more brake, the stop will be jerky while R68/R46 brakes don't really grab hard. You can come to a stop using full service but the train doesn't jerk. Meanwhile the R32 will rock everyone with just minimum brake lol. Haven't been on a R179 since J road posting so I can't say 

That makes me so glad I'm in the A and only have 2 pieces of equipment to get used to 😄

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

unfortunately not many people give smooth stops cuz it takes more effort and is a bit slower. I noticed brakes on the R160 is more like car brakes where if you grab more brake, the stop will be jerky while R68/R46 brakes don't really grab hard. You can come to a stop using full service but the train doesn't jerk. Meanwhile the R32 will rock everyone with just minimum brake lol. Haven't been on a R179 since J road posting so I can't say 

Well, we're moving to the R32s this week, so I'll see what happens. ALso, noticed the mc on these smees is hard to hold down at first. that's gonna take some getting used to, along with how loud it gets when the train dumps. Sounds like a shot gun blast in my ear.

Also, my first practical is next month at Jamaica Yard. I believe it will be cuts and adds, reading the iron, and identifying signals?

1 minute ago, MarkGuy said:

Well, we're moving to the R32s this week, so I'll see what happens. ALso, noticed the mc on these smees is hard to hold down at first. that's gonna take some getting used to, along with how loud it gets when the train dumps. Sounds like a shot gun blast in my ear.

Also, my first practical is next month at Jamaica Yard. I believe it will be cuts and adds, reading the iron, and identifying signals?

Practical is track components, yard signals, reading the iron, prepping for yard movement, cuts and adds, and they will try and trick u and ask u how to key by a home signal to which u have to reply "u can't! No keys to the home" lol 

I have a question I have been wondering about. I can wait to ask my instructors but I won't see them until Wednesday (off tomorrow, Tuesday at the sim). 

When we prepare to make a cut on the r62s, should we be testing the pilot valve and doing our standing brake test before making our cut? The induction book doesn't say this but I feel like logically we should never move a unit until we have tested the brakes and pilot valve on both sides. 

Maybe it's something we skipped for time purposes but I don't feel like we have been told to do that. 

Perhaps somebody here can help clarify that for me. I have been writing down the steps for yard movement and cuts and adds off memory but I'm stuck on whether or not to perform any tests at the cutting position before moving the train from there. 

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

I have a question I have been wondering about. I can wait to ask my instructors but I won't see them until Wednesday (off tomorrow, Tuesday at the sim). 

When we prepare to make a cut on the r62s, should we be testing the pilot valve and doing our standing brake test before making our cut? The induction book doesn't say this but I feel like logically we should never move a unit until we have tested the brakes and pilot valve on both sides. 

Maybe it's something we skipped for time purposes but I don't feel like we have been told to do that. 

Perhaps somebody here can help clarify that for me. I have been writing down the steps for yard movement and cuts and adds off memory but I'm stuck on whether or not to perform any tests at the cutting position before moving the train from there. 

I know that on the 42s, they had us put in the cutting key first, hear the electric portions retrieve, then go out and check to ensure the cam locks were open.

Then we had to go back and charge up the moving train. After that, we had to check the stationary train to ensure it wasn't charging as well and remained in emergency. Then we did the whole take a point, indication bypass, then move back a foot. 

We did the pilot valve after finishing the cut and ensuring the electric connection was back on for the stationary car. Not sure about the 62s tho. 

Edited by MarkGuy
We did the pilot valve after finishing the "ADD" and ensuring the electric connection was back on for the stationary car.

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

Practical is track components, yard signals, reading the iron, prepping for yard movement, cuts and adds, and they will try and trick u and ask u how to key by a home signal to which u have to reply "u can't! No keys to the home" lol 

I've memorized reading the iron and some switch components and part of the inspection but I suspect the brake tests (compressor and B2 and sensitive rolling) will be part of the practical. 

7 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

I've memorized reading the iron and some switch components and part of the inspection but I suspect the brake tests (compressor and B2 and sensitive rolling) will be part of the practical. 

Definitely, that's all part of prepping for yard movement. You always have to do the standing brake tests and sensitive rolling if you have space before the low home and have permission in a yard that requires permission before even moving to the low home. 

20 hours ago, acabral136 said:

One top of the cutting page in the manual it says "The procedure of uncoupling, or cutting, cars MUST be performed in the correct sequence. Prior to uncoupling, the entire consist must be inspected." Also in the R62 portion it states "Pilot valves must be checked by charging the train at each end and all potential operating positions."

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

One top of the cutting page in the manual it says "The procedure of uncoupling, or cutting, cars MUST be performed in the correct sequence. Prior to uncoupling, the entire consist must be inspected." Also in the R62 portion it states "Pilot valves must be checked by charging the train at each end and all potential operating positions."

Thank you 

On 9/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, MarkGuy said:

The 32 controllers are stiffer to press down. And yes, I definitely suggest wearing protection especially dumping the 32s. If you get a chance, go to any terminal and ask for some earplugs. Even the release of air hurts me.

3 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

The 32 controllers are stiffer to press down. And yes, I definitely suggest wearing protection especially dumping the 32s. If you get a chance, go to any terminal and ask for some earplugs. Even the release of air hurts me.

Yeah I was like, “damn how do people hold these down For an 8 hr shift and more?”

these earplugs u get at 248 are trash. I need the larger ones I see some ops with 

On 9/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, nipaaaa said:

I beg to differ. I've done pop & stops on R68's and boy those suckers slammed the brakes hard when I got under 5 mph. Every train brakes differently, even if it's the same type.

Edited by Jay-Oh

On 9/2/2019 at 6:17 PM, MarkGuy said:

Yeah I was like, “damn how do people hold these down For an 8 hr shift and more?”

these earplugs u get at 248 are trash. I need the larger ones I see some ops with 

The huge red ones? lol

s-l500.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, nipaaaa said:

Hate to break this to you, but don't complain unless you want to be stuck with no other choice than a (C) job one day... As an extra extra with no seniority you're fair game to be thrown in the deep end at any point in time. I'm sure the crew office will straighten out anyone who whines about controllers being too "heavy" to hold down or not being able to be within earshot of full brake release on a set of SMEE's. There's absolutely no tolerance for that stuff. You are expected to operate whatever equipment your run presents you and get it to the other end. Period. Any transit vet will tell you that you have it much easier than compared to 20 years ago when 32s, 38s, 40s, and 42s dominated B Division.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, Biggie said:

Remember this when you go yard posting and yard extra or work the yard.  PERIOD.  Sometimes you can't make the cut from one position and have to do so from the other.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:33 PM, Jay-Oh said:

I beg to differ. I've done pop & stops on R68's and boy those suckers slammed the brakes hard when I got under 5 mph. Every train brakes differently, even if it's the same type.

Good way to get taken out of service if System safety or a TSS catches you on the road.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, nipaaaa said:

First of all... Understand the kind of equipment you have.  The R32/42 has 2 shoes on each wheel, the 32s on the charlie sucks big time for braking accuracy.  They slide big time.

The R68 has good dynamics and good brakes but a small tappet valve so expect a delay.  The delay is even more pronounced on the 68A.  Come in hard and depending on the grade, you can grab a healthy brake mid station (before mid station if downgrade) and can smooth it out to the end.  Best braking trains in the system.

New techs have blended braking which is an abomination.  The braking force is linear (as opposed to the exponential applied force on the smees) thats why you have to pull back more on the handle to stop the train then let some air go to smooth it out.  If you just hold a brake (no matter how much) it will keep rolling at decelerating speed and then buck at the end.  Also it is unreliable in inclement weather.  The trucks were made to not skid, which is iron because of it's light weight it actually skips on wet rails (thank you blended braking for false hope).

On 9/4/2019 at 4:37 AM, Dave2836 said:

Remember this when you go yard posting and yard extra or work the yard.  PERIOD.  Sometimes you can't make the cut from one position and have to do so from the other.

Good way to get taken out of service if System safety or a TSS catches you on the road.

Truth.   Improper operation.  

Stop train.  Test pilot valve.  

I asked this in a pm but I also wanted other opinions...

I was practicing cuts and adds on the r32 today, but I'm having a bit of an issue with not accidentally dumping the train after reversing 1 foot for the cut. It's the sequence after you charge the moving cars to make sure the stationary cars don't charge, then take a point of power, activate the bypass, put your right hand back on the brake, and move back enough without putting the brake handle too far.  The first cut and add I did with no problems and I remember the steps without my tss needing to tell me but just that part is trivky for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! 

37 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

I asked this in a pm but I also wanted other opinions...

I was practicing cuts and adds on the r32 today, but I'm having a bit of an issue with not accidentally dumping the train after reversing 1 foot for the cut. It's the sequence after you charge the moving cars to make sure the stationary cars don't charge, then take a point of power, activate the bypass, put your right hand back on the brake, and move back enough without putting the brake handle too far.  The first cut and add I did with no problems and I remember the steps without my tss needing to tell me but just that part is trivky for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! 

Just remember that at that point you are only moving about 1mph. U don't need max brake, so there's no reason to go that far with the brake handle.. Go halfway or even lower and u will still stop. If u try to go to full service, it's easy to end up dumping.

Once you are stopped with the lower amount of brake applied, then u can bring it slowly to full service and continue.

I'm assuming the R32s are similar to the R62 tho, maybe I'm wrong. 

Edited by acabral136

On 9/2/2019 at 6:17 PM, MarkGuy said:

They didn't issue them to you guys when you got your tools? I hate wearing mine I'd rather wear the orange plugs lol. 

26 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Just remember that at that point you are only moving about 1mph. U don't need max brake, so there's no reason to go that far with the brake handle.. Go halfway or even lower and u will still stop. If u try to go to full service, it's easy to end up dumping.

Once you are stopped with the lower amount of brake applied, then u can bring it slowly to full service and continue.

Thx 4 the advice!

22 hours ago, acabral136 said:

21 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Thx 4 the advice!

You wanna laugh? We were practicing cuts today in advance of our practical this Sunday. I dumped twice! 

First time I didn't bring the brake handle to full like I thought I did and let go of the master controller like an idiot. 

Then the second time I over compensated for my first mistake and went too far. I couldn't believe it LOL after giving you that advice and I screwed up the same way myself. 

It's all good tho I'll make sure not to do it Sunday. Just gotta get those mistakes out of my system before the practical I guess. I feel good going in. 

41 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

You wanna laugh? We were practicing cuts today in advance of our practical this Sunday. I dumped twice! 

First time I didn't bring the brake handle to full like I thought I did and let go of the master controller like an idiot. 

Then the second time I over compensated for my first mistake and went too far. I couldn't believe it LOL after giving you that advice and I screwed up the same way myself. 

It's all good tho I'll make sure not to do it Sunday. Just gotta get those mistakes out of my system before the practical I guess. I feel good going in. 

You’ll get it. Least ur first day on the road wasn’t nearly as bad as mine, which was this morning. Doors out at most of my stops, overshot the punch at one and had to open the window to reach out. Only did like one barely good station stop.

and later on barely passed a quiz bc I got lazy with studying a certain portion we covered yesterday: today wasn’t my day but I’m working on a comeback tomorrow