The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/29/2020 at 5:59 AM, beanz said:

It will come together. I had a hard time with the smees as well and now they are my favorite, even the r62s on the 3 line. They are actually extremely fun to operate once u learn to feel it. 

U will be fine. 

I agree.  The Bravo line is fun on the 68As.  And once you understand the line and know which landmarks to pull brake at, it becomes easier.

Just plan about 1 - 2 car lengths ahead, trust the dynamics, release to stop, never go lower than snow brake, hold your initial brake to see how the train reacts then adjust to make the train react the way you want it to.  Out on the road it is better to rookie roll to the stop/punch rather than cowboy the train and over run the station or worse, slide into the home signal.

And if it makes you feel better, the full length R68s is 10 feet shorter than a full length R143/160/179/32.  Patience and practice.

• 2 months later...

Late update. Much of the August B-division induction class are in limbo due to Covid-19. Only a few of the 38 in the induction are in passenger service after passing the road practical a couple weeks ago. Everyone else missed road posting days and have been YXing again until the coronavirus passes.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, Jericho said:

Late update. Much of the August B-division induction class are in limbo due to Covid-19. Only a few of the 38 in the induction are in passenger service after passing the road practical a couple weeks ago. Everyone else missed road posting days and have been YXing again until the coronavirus passes.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and be careful.

Also, take this time to really play with the trains. I guarantee that you'll end up doing a couple of transfers; these are the BEST times to really get a feel for the SMEE's, (I personally think New Techs are like playing a video game).

I know the rules say that you shouldn't stop in stations while running light, but now's the perfect time. There's barely anyone out, you're alone on that train, you're not in revenue service, and if you over run a station - so what? Just don't go hitting signals.

Check the aspect of the leaving signal in a station, if it's green - try blasting into the station and stopping at the 10 w/ a single brake pull - pay attention to the duplex air gauge. It'll build your confidence, and it's fun. You'll be surprised how late you can pull that brake and still stop where you need to.

Edited by Jay-Oh

4 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Enjoy it while it lasts, and be careful.

Also, take this time to really play with the trains. I guarantee that you'll end up doing a couple of transfers; these are the BEST times to really get a feel for the SMEE's, (I personally think New Techs are like playing a video game).

I know the rules say that you shouldn't stop in stations while running light, but now's the perfect time. There's barely anyone out, you're alone on that train, you're not in revenue service, and if you over run a station - so what? Just don't go hitting signals.

Check the aspect of the leaving signal in a station, if it's green - try blasting into the station and stopping at the 10 w/ a single brake pull - pay attention to the duplex air gauge. It'll build your confidence, and it's fun. You'll be surprised how late you can pull that brake and still stop where you need to.

Personally, I see this as a huge detriment for us, because while you do get some types of transfers, they are very few and far in between (least that was my experience my first time as yx.)

That's going to be a huge detriment because we're spending time away from regular operation at higher speeds, and the worse it'll get the longer this drags out. I feel that this should be on a case by case basis (those who only have a day or so of road posting to finish) to put us on the road incrementally. The days a lot of us are missing are utterly pointless, because they're days on lines we already posted repeatedly.

I do also wonder if they'll make us do schoolcar again if this lasts long enough as well.

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Personally, I see this as a huge detriment for us, because while you do get some types of transfers, they are very few and far in between (least that was my experience my first time as yx.)

That's going to be a huge detriment because we're spending time away from regular operation at higher speeds, and the worse it'll get the longer this drags out. I feel that this should be on a case by case basis (those who only have a day or so of road posting to finish) to put us on the road incrementally. The days a lot of us are missing are utterly pointless, because they're days on lines we already posted repeatedly.

I do also wonder if they'll make us do schoolcar again if this lasts long enough as well.

Honestly as long as you're on the payroll, all this is to your benefit.  

Think of it as a enhanced training.  I know it may not seem like it. 

6 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Honestly as long as you're on the payroll, all this is to your benefit.  

Think of it as a enhanced training.  I know it may not seem like it. 

I don't really see it as "enhanced training" at all, especially given I've done these moves more times than I can count already and they don't prep me for the road-which is where the real training begins, according to what some have posted here.

Extra training, yea tho. But not the training i really need when we go into passenger service solo.

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I don't really see it as "enhanced training" at all, especially given I've done these moves more times than I can count already and they don't prep me for the road-which is where the real training begins, according to what some have posted here.

Extra training, yea tho. But not the training i really need when we go into passenger service solo.

Honestly you never really get the right type of training for passenger service.  Train operation is very subjective.  

You post mainly to learn the line and interlockings, not to perfect your operation.  It takes years to be remotely confident, don't let anyone's ego fool you.  

Don't let this stress you out.   

5 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I see your point.
I'm just saying - when in revenue service, you're afraid to try things with these trains. When you get the chance to see how far you can push the equipment, do it.
The road will always be there, don't rush yourself. You already got the job, so why not learn a little more to make it easier?

As for your concern about them making you do schoolcar again; I doubt it. At most they'll make you post all over again.

Edited by Jay-Oh

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, so today was the first real day on the road for some members of the August class (not including the two who came out over a month ago). Schoolcar called some of us who only owed one or two road posting days last week, and gave us two days of road ops retraining this week. Then we made up the owed posting days on empty trains with tss'es.

I had the Charlie. Wasn't too bad. No calls to RCC or anything needed to be made. Bad news is, a lot of us were switched to mids with w/t off starting next week. Guess that is the beginning of road extra life.

4 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Alrighty, so today was the first real day on the road for some members of the August class (not including the two who came out over a month ago). Schoolcar called some of us who only owed one or two road posting days last week, and gave us two days of road ops retraining this week. Then we made up the owed posting days on empty trains with tss'es.

I had the Charlie. Wasn't too bad. No calls to RCC or anything needed to be made. Bad news is, a lot of us were switched to mids with w/t off starting next week. Guess that is the beginning of road extra life.

Good luck out there and remember your lineup is gold out there! Always have it ready when doing a new line! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, MarkGuy said:

Been taking passengers over a month now solo. Love it so far. Don't love the straining midnight hours and am having a hard time adjusting no matter what I try.

But I'm hoping it will get better soon.

The midnight tour is what you make it.   Some people love it.  It depends on your outside life.  

If you have the luxury, plan on getting 8 hours of consistent sleep each night.  Blackout curtains and some sort of ambient noise (perhaps a fan, for example) drain out distractions.  

Pay attention to your diet.  Heavy meals will make it difficult for you to sleep and will be detriment to your overall health long term.  

2 minutes ago, Late Clear said:

The midnight tour is what you make it.   Some people love it.  It depends on your outside life.  

If you have the luxury, plan on getting 8 hours of consistent sleep each night.  Blackout curtains and some sort of ambient noise (perhaps a fan, for example) drain out distractions.  

Pay attention to your diet.  Heavy meals will make it difficult for you to sleep and will be detriment to your overall health long term.  

Im trying. I am getting more sleep but hunger wakes me up like 5 hrs in. Then i get back to sleep. Not everyone is built for that shift and the body naturally isn't. I try working out before sleeping and taking melatonin as well.

13 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Im trying. I am getting more sleep but hunger wakes me up like 5 hrs in. Then i get back to sleep. Not everyone is built for that shift and the body naturally isn't. I try working out before sleeping and taking melatonin as well.

Let's say you have 00:00 report.  

Eat a hearty lunch. 

Get home around 9-10 AM.  

Have a light breakfast, such as maybe yogurt and fruit and go to sleep.

Wake up 6 PM.  

Work Out.  

Have a snack, nuts or something light.  

Get ready to go to work and repeat.  

My advice is that if you are on PMs or midnights, plan on waking up 5-6 hours before your report going to work and getting 7-8  hours of sleep after you come home.  

I know being XX or XL the report times aren't always stable and this can be difficult but I guarantee you can stick to this regimen at least 3 times a week.   

It is my opinion that PMs as a XX C/R or T/O is the most difficult tour to work because it is the longest.  

19 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Let's say you have 00:00 report.  

Eat a hearty lunch. 

Get home around 9-10 AM.  

Have a light breakfast, such as maybe yogurt and fruit and go to sleep.

Wake up 6 PM.  

Work Out.  

Have a snack, nuts or something light.  

Get ready to go to work and repeat.  

My advice is that if you are on PMs or midnights, plan on waking up 5-6 hours before your report going to work and getting 7-8  hours of sleep after you come home.  

I know being XX or XL the report times aren't always stable and this can be difficult but I guarantee you can stick to this regimen at least 3 times a week.   

It is my opinion that PMs as a XX C/R or T/O is the most difficult tour to work because it is the longest.  

I appreciate the advice. But honestly my body is not cut out for midnights and its causing me health issues. Looking for ways out.

4 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I appreciate the advice. But honestly my body is not cut out for midnights and its causing me health issues. Looking for ways out.

Ask them to switch your tour, see how that works out for you... doesn't hurt to ask.  

You'll reason eventually that this line of work is bad for your health unless you're proactive.   

Long days of monotonous work, trains that are most likely giving you motion sickness you just don't realize it yet,  lack of hydration due to limited bathroom availability, poor work-life balance that will impact your family and socially isolate you from the world, all while being surrounded by disgruntled coworkers and leadership that have no business in this line of work. 

It's what you make it.  

6 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Ask them to switch your tour, see how that works out for you... doesn't hurt to ask.  

You'll reason eventually that this line of work is bad for your health unless you're proactive.   

Long days of monotonous work, trains that are most likely giving you motion sickness you just don't realize it yet,  lack of hydration due to limited bathroom availability, poor work-life balance that will impact your family and socially isolate you from the world, all while being surrounded by disgruntled coworkers and leadership that have no business in this line of work. 

It's what you make it.  

Im finding that last part is the truth-especially about leadership. Im def not even close to wanting to quit.

The other factors you mentioned I've found ways to work with. Just the tour is causing issues. Ill see what can be done.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Im finding that last part is the truth-especially about leadership. Im def not even close to wanting to quit.

The other factors you mentioned I've found ways to work with. Just the tour is causing issues. Ill see what can be done.

It's a adjustment process.   Takes awhile. 

Like I said, it's what you make it.   

Give it time, you'll find stability.   Everyone is different.

PMs is definitely the shittiest tour as far as social life. I was on AMs when I came out and just got switched like a month ago. It's been rough. Midnights I'd have trouble at first but I'm sure I could adjust. If I was midnights I could still go home and sleep and then take my kid to the park or something. With PMs I cant do anything on days I work because my kid is getting online schooling and services in the morning and by the time she's done and eats lunch, boom I gotta get ready to report. Then I get home after she's in bed. 

I put in a g2 requesting a change a couple of weeks ago but so far nothing has happened. I mean I get it, this is what it is, but man I'm just glad I'm at least in the A division and didn't get stuck in the B. If I was getting out at 2am at stillwell and then reporting at coney island the next day I would have even less time to see my family.