The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

On 8/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, mediccjh said:

As for the YX program, it's a joke. It was not done the way it was intended, and the students don't learn properly. 

Big time Joke i started Open Competitive in 2001 we had no YX and 19 years later most of the 60 of us that hired are still here..

Some are supervision...

Its all about the individual NOT the training 7 months is more than enough for the B Div...

Thats not being "rushed".. If one applies ones self then they can grasp this.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't personally agree 100 percent that YX is a "waste of time." People assume you only do slow speed movements the entire time, and for some that may be true.

However, you also may get a chance to really see what these trains can do. When I was YX I was also assigned layups to yards, and not all of them were immediately close by.

I got time without a TSS breathing down my back to make practice station stops and get a better feel for operating. That helped me without a doubt. Others may not agree but that's my take.

Week 1 of school car complete (whew!) I felt somewhat prepared thanks to these threads and I went with B division

Our schedule was all over the place this week (start times ranged from 7am to 3pm + a hurricane) and it was mostly logistical stuff: a day at the union hall, picking up tools at 34th Street, climbing on and off the R68 (or 68A? I haven't quite figured out which is which yet but I know it's coming) and lugging around booksbooksandmorebooks. I felt like one of those elementary school kids with my oversized backpack haha

Met a number of TSSs and MTA staff (the pick guys were cool and helpful)...everyone I met had a tidbit of knowledge to share which was nice. 

My Week 1 schoolcar review: my feet and shoulders are crazy sore but I'm beyond pumped. Would recommend haha

Enjoy your holiday weekend everyone

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:28 PM, MarkGuy said:

I can't personally agree 100 percent that YX is a "waste of time." People assume you only do slow speed movements the entire time, and for some that may be true.

However, you also may get a chance to really see what these trains can do. When I was YX I was also assigned layups to yards, and not all of them were immediately close by.

I got time without a TSS breathing down my back to make practice station stops and get a better feel for operating. That helped me without a doubt. Others may not agree but that's my take.

As i stated each individual is different, some get it some don't... You seem like one of those who definitely get it...

13 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The Extra List. It is pretty much the spare board. You either get assignments day by day or you will be made a report (aka board job) and sit around until they need you. 

XL is Picked Extra(North South Queens in the B Div) your tour and RDOs stay the same...

Extra Extra you are at the Mercy of the Crew office and by "Needs of the Service" your Tours and RDOs are subject to change...

On 7/14/2021 at 8:49 PM, Late Clear said:

It's not in case you have to go out on disability.  

Step in your shower the wrong way and if you slip throw your back out then what.   Short term disability is a joke in NY.

Sorry to back track as this thread isn’t moving like the hiring threads … but i believe  everyone should atleast do the disability and of course health if you aren’t getting it from an outside source … my pops work for MTA and got hurt off the Job so the disability came in handy for him till he returned … think smart maybe you don’t choose the highest plan but be smart .. this is for anyone after this comment in schoolcar

Edited by Moneyslap03

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To any TOs working Queens while switching or YX here's a point or two...

X762 Homesignal on D4 track at Briarwood you have a train going to Parsons ECHO you punch "E"..

You have a train going to PARSONS HILLSIDE D4 You punch "F" no need to wait or call the tower for the line up just punch.

Leaving CTL on D2 track with a Lay up(Not a relay) get as close to the Homesignal as possible or the back of the train will over hang the switch and no trains can relay..

You have a lay up or a turn around going south on D3 track past briawood you announce yourself to CTL Tower and punch at X1456 homesignal, X1444 on D1 track i beleive.

Pull up tight to the train in front of you unless otherwise instructed make those safety stops.....

Most important Keep the train in BYPASS....

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, kev2112 said:

Currently in school car on the 0700-1500 schedule. YX begins in a few weeks, will it follow the same schedule? 

Looking at my journal, I was put in the PM for YX and then they switched me to midnights for the last two days right before the signal exam.

You're going to be put in a tour that's available. Especially if there's multiple classes YXing at the same time. My class didn't have the weekend since the previous class were still YXing.

Edited by Jericho

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Looking at my journal, I was put in the PM for YX and then they switched me to midnights for the last two days right before the signal exam.

You're going to be put in a tour that's available. Especially if there's multiple classes YXing at the same time. My class didn't have the weekend since the previous class were still YXing.

Appreciate the info

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • Harry unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see some folks out here yard station switching posting in the B Div over here in Queens if you post at 179 ASK your trainers every question possible...

We got some good folks and they are more than happy to share their knowledge, there's also lay up maps on where trains go make it your business to get one.....

Remember there's never a stupid question.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, beanz said:

Haven't been around. Just wanted to check in and report that as of 2 days ago i am off probation finally. Most of our small post COVID induction that remained should be off probation as well. 

HEY CONGRATS!!

i'm really praying and wishing i graduate and pass probation eventually to :)

time for u to celebrate :)

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Sgomez31 said:

Hey guys I’m a newbie 2nd week in schoolcar and I’m stressed!!

Don't be.. One day at a time...

At first its overwhelming but you'll get used to it as the terms and procedures sink in...

It was the same way for me 21 years ago...

8 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Don't be.. One day at a time...

At first its overwhelming but you'll get used to it as the terms and procedures sink in...

It was the same way for me 21 years ago...

Thank you for the advice!! I have a great instructor I just can’t get the signals

• 2 weeks later...

Please people...

MAKE YOUR SAFTEY STOPS.......

Two incidents involving Collisions where attempting to make a safety stop would have at least shown something was wrong..

Both In Coney Island Yard...

They are looking to take your handles over these things...

Edited by RTOMan

On 5/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, RTOMan said:

Please people...

MAKE YOUR SAFTEY STOPS.......

Two incidents involving Collisions where attempting to make a safety stop would have at least shown something was wrong..

Both In Coney Island Yard...

They are looking to take your handles over these things...

Also....

INSPECT YOUR TRAIN PROPERLY!!!!

You are taught a certain way in Schoolcar. Stick to it. Don't take shortcuts.

If you have an incident and I'm the one investigating, I will know that you took a shortcut, and I will know that you are lying. 

If you are working on the F Line and you are on 4 trk at CTL you punch "LOCAL" all times especially during the rush hour (unless informed otherwise).

At Briarwood on 2 track you punch "F"  and you will get a green over green homesignal.. 

There's route cards on the wall staring right at you at that station....

Reason for this?

Two Wrong Line ups on the same day one at CTL (TO Punched express on probation) and the other at Briarwood(TO was extra extra and had a student which is really pissing them off).

You go past a point of no return you will be taken out of service period...

Its not a race to the finish line  folks....