Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

R train between Manhattan and Brooklyn still several weeks away: officials

[float=left]post-5097-0-43632100-1352984494_thumb.jpg[/float]The (R) train won’t be running between Brooklyn and Manhattan for several weeks, officials said Wednesday.

The line’s Montague St. Tunnel, which connects Brooklyn Heights and lower Manhattan, saw more flooding than any of the eight subway tubes that were inundated by superstorm Sandy, one official estimated.

Water from an unprecedented sea surge cascaded down a tunnel ventilation shaft at the southern tip of Manhattan, and it rushed down the stairs of the Whitehall St./South Ferry station, officials said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-43632100-1352984494_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

:(

Well, at least I can wait. :)

Why is your sig so large sir? x_x;;

Anyway this (R) train situation sucks for me. It was my quickest way to work. What i do now is take the (D) to Bway-Lafayette and take the (6) down to CIty Hall and walk to work. I could just switch to the (4)(5) at Atlantic but I like to avoid crowding.

Edited by Urbanfortitude
  • Upvote 3

That totally sucks for a couple of my friends that loves transferring at DeKalb for South Ferry. I don't understand why they don't like transferring to a (4) or (5) for Bowling Green, besides the overcrowding in the morning.

For the time being, my commute home is a lot easier knowing there's an exact (R) to leave at Jay Street for me.

Will they at least extend the (R) further down in Manhattan, perhaps to Canal street or something? Stopping at 34th St. is quite a pain

• Upvote 1

Will they at least extend the (R) further down in Manhattan, perhaps to Canal street or something? Stopping at 34th St. is quite a pain

That does seem like a feasible idea. They can really (R) trains at Canal street right?

• Upvote 1

That does seem like a feasible idea. They can really (R) trains at Canal street right?

Yeah back, when the (W) operated, a few trips ended/originated at Canal in the AM/PM Peaks, the trains can relay on the set of storage tracks that lead to the unused lower level of City Hall Station.

We don't really know for sure. All we know is that Sandy flooded the Montague Street Tunnel and the South Ferry-Whitehall Street station. Maybe the (MTA) doesn't want to run the (R) down to Canal Street (Upper level) because they usually store trains there. Some (R)'s do terminate at Canal at rush hour on regular basis though. Or maybe some of the signals at Canal Street (Upper level) and Cortlandt Street received some damages to the huge storm. You never know...Just like how Fulton and Broad Street stations on the BMT Nassau Street Line got some signal damages, hence the (J)(Z) not fully restored 100%.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Why not bring it over the Manhattan Bridge?

Probably for Jay Street, but people can take the (F). (R) usage at Jay doesn't even seem to be that strong right now.

This is a good reason why the City Hall Lower Level should have been built and completed

And is why I would now be looking to do enough building of the lower level of City Hall so in an emergency like this or something much shorter (or if there were a major event outside City Hall), that station can serve passengers when needed. The idea would be to do just enough to make it passenger ready, with it being a barebones station with no tile or anything else on the walls, but functional enough to where it can be used as needed (i.e.: Much like the lower level of the Pattison-A T & T station on SEPTA's Broad Street Line that is only used on game days).

Why not bring it over the Manhattan Bridge?

The (Q) actually runs every 5 minutes at rush hour and through most of the weekday periods. Plus, ridership on the Brighton Line south of Newkirk Plaza is quite heavy with many residents from the eastern side of Flatbush, Midwood, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach using the (Q) Brighton Local as their only subway option. They also use the (B) Brighton Express if they get off at the express stops.

With the (Q) on its five minute headways, the (N) runs every ten minutes through most of the weekdays as well. So they can't rerouted the (R) over the Manhattan Bridge because it will delay (B) and (Q) service at DeKalb Avenue which also creates backups on the (D) and (N) as well. On the weekends, having the (R) reroute via the Manhattan Bridge makes the most sense IMO.

Edited by RollOverMyHead
  • Upvote 2

I understand the (MTA) not wanting to run it over the bridge all the time--it would cause too many delays. But perhaps a few trips or something. Anything is better than terminating at 34th street.

The new Brooklyn R service has been a MAJOR improvement since it no longer has the constant delays in Manhattan & Queens. This new R service comes on-time on regular 10 minute intervals all day and evening now. No more of the 25 minute waits for a Bay Ridge train at 36th or 59th around 9pm or 10pm that were all too common. And trains are actually being given the holding lights at 36th and/or 59th going towards Bay Ridge too, to connect with D or N trains. I have been saving anywhere from 10-20 minutes on my commute from Midtown to Bay Ridge. I really hope this service stays a few more months. Bay Ridge deserves a train that comes every 10 minutes, not every 25 minutes with constant never-ending delays.

• Upvote 3

I keep on hearing unconfirmed rumors that the cast iron rings of the Montaugue St tunnels had suffered such severe damage that even if it has'nt happened yet the engineers are fearing that the tunnel can still collapse due to corrosion damage from sea water. (Some has suggested that that concrete slabs had already collapsed inside the tunnel) Can anyone provide this insight and clarity on this once an for all?

Edited by realizm

As an alternative, the J train should be sent to 95th when the tunnels are ready, and the R can then run Whitehall-Forest Hills all times except late nights. The J runs regular intervals and doesn't have the problem of other trains cutting in front of it, causing delays. It's just not possible to have such a lengthy local R route (Forest Hills to 95th) with numerous merges along the way and not experience horrendous delays on a regular basis.

Or else, the R train really needs to have its length split in two. 95th- Court and Whitehall-Forest Hills. It's a win-win situation for Queens riders and for Brooklyn riders. Those who need connecting service between lower Manhattan & downtown Brooklyn have tons of extra connections: 2, 3, 4, 5, A, and C (all of which would be considerably faster than waiting for a delayed R train that has to run from Forest Hills all the way to 95th).

There is no point of having a tunnel if service is going to be split, the whole part of having a tunnel is for trains to go through it, sure this service pattern by help you but for many people, it is just rather bothersome to transfer over. Hopefully regular service returns soon. Broadway needs it as the (N) being the only local northbound can't handle the load.

Also about the rumor, I think I remember reading a tweet from a MTA representative and he says the rumors are false. I don't remember the exact link though, maybe somebody that has the source can verify.

Edited by iGeMiNix

Probably for Jay Street, but people can take the (F). (R) usage at Jay doesn't even seem to be that strong right now.

Not necessarily. I went down to the (R) platform at Jay at around 6:15pm, right before the southbound train pulled in there had to be a few hundred people on the platform waiting for it (when departed, empty seats were few and far between)

As an alternative, the J train should be sent to 95th when the tunnels are ready, and the R can then run Whitehall-Forest Hills all times except late nights. The J runs regular intervals and doesn't have the problem of other trains cutting in front of it, causing delays. It's just not possible to have such a lengthy local R route (Forest Hills to 95th) with numerous merges along the way and not experience horrendous delays on a regular basis.

Or else, the R train really needs to have its length split in two. 95th- Court and Whitehall-Forest Hills. It's a win-win situation for Queens riders and for Brooklyn riders. Those who need connecting service between lower Manhattan & downtown Brooklyn have tons of extra connections: 2, 3, 4, 5, A, and C (all of which would be considerably faster than waiting for a delayed R train that has to run from Forest Hills all the way to 95th).

Ok granted, its slow, but why give up a one seat ride for a 2-train ride? Plus if you extend the (J), you mess up the balance it has with the (Z) (this was discussed already). Extending the (J) to 95 St would just make it the new (R) as the longest local line in the system, and you have the same problems the (R) would have

• Upvote 4

Not necessarily. I went down to the (R) platform at Jay at around 6:15pm, right before the southbound train pulled in there had to be a few hundred people on the platform waiting for it (when departed, empty seats were few and far between)

I know for a fact, during the morning rush, a lot of people get off the (R) at Jay Street heading northbound. But I agree, heading back to 95 St, I don't see much people getting on at Jay Street.

Damn, the (R) is still terminating at 34th? I do hope they get the (R) to Whitehall eventually. Heh, if the (R) is split b/w Brooklyn and Manhattan for several more months, will they just assign R68s to the Brooklyn segment?* Just wondering, don't need to get all irate or foaming.

As for the person that mentioned CH LL, I don't think that would work as that would've been flooded. Hell the tunnels past the end of the station were already filled with water back in 2004.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I keep on hearing unconfirmed rumors that the cast iron rings of the Montaugue St tunnels had suffered such severe damage that even if it has'nt happened yet the engineers are fearing that the tunnel can still collapse due to corrosion damage from sea water. (Some has suggested that that concrete slabs had already collapsed inside the tunnel) Can anyone provide this insight and clarity on this once an for all?

Service Change Posted: 11/16/2012 3:36AM

Due to switch problems at Prince St, n.png and q.png trains operating via r.png line in both directions between DeKalb Av andCanal St.

At least, that's what is said on mta.info for a moment, so I'm assuming they can run some service through the tunnel.

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

Service Change Posted: 11/16/2012 3:36AM

Due to switch problems at Prince St, n.png and q.png trains operating via r.png line in both directions between DeKalb Av andCanal St.

At least, that's what is said on mta.info for a moment, so I'm assuming they can run some service through the tunnel.

Nope, it means they're going to Jay to relay in Brooklyn, and Canal/34 in Manhattan. They had the same switch problem last week and there was nothing below 34-HSq. And BTW, lol at that (J) to 95 comment, the cut comes in literally one trainlength south of Whitehall, its not like its in the middle of the tunnel something.

Then the (MTA) should have said so. How stupid IMO to say that the (N) and (Q) are rerouted via the Montague Street Tunnel and they could have said " (N) and (Q) trains begin/end at 34th and/or Canal and also begin/end at Jay St-MetroTech. They know the Montague Street Tube is still shutdown.

Edited by RollOverMyHead