R train between Manhattan and Brooklyn still several weeks away: officials

Harry

Everything in the tube is gone !!! everything needs to be replaced. The whole signal infastructure is in the process of being replaced..there was water all the way to about 500ft from the Court St Station !!! Its not going to be up anytime soon !!!

I also thought about running the R over the bridge...maybe there would be too much congestion ! especially during the rush !

Not sure if anyone asked this (sorry for redundancy if it was answered)

Why can't they send the trains to court St? This way people who use the R for lower Manhattan (that got on after atlantic av) can transfer to a (2)(3)(4) or (5). I mean, since they relay the trains at the stations via the crossover switch, why can't they run em in revenue service?

Not sure if anyone asked this (sorry for redundancy if it was answered)

Why can't they send the trains to court St? This way people who use the R for lower Manhattan (that got on after atlantic av) can transfer to a (2)(3)(4) or (5). I mean, since they relay the trains at the stations via the crossover switch, why can't they run em in revenue service?

it sort of already has it cant run to court street because like 500 ft away from the station

Just a heads-up to anyone who's taking the Bay Ridge bound R shuttle on Sunday nights. Be prepared for a LONG wait around 10:30pm. N, D, N, D, then finally after 18+ minutes the R shuttle finally shows up. Apparently they don't feel the need to keep the R shuttle at regular 12 minute intervals to match the frequency of the D, N and Q at that time and make connections with those trains. Super crowded at 59th St Brooklyn by the time the R train finally showed up. Would have been faster to just walk to 86th St. The R shuttle finally shows up at 59th St at 11:02pm Sunday nights. Crowd is 3 deep near middle of the platform, waiting and waiting and waiting.

Which is why if it were up to me

And thank goodness it ISN'T up to you!

I don't know where all these crazy fantasies are coming from, but the whole reason the (R) ISN'T running full service is due to the Montague Tunnel!!!! Once that gets back, the entire line gets back. However, trains may be bypassing Whitehall St for a while, since that whole complex is a hazmat zone.

....is this the new version of RUN THE (1) TO NEW LOTS AT ANY COST? Which I once again should remind everyone did NOT happen, even though nobody wanted to listen to me when I told you that.

Just a heads-up to anyone who's taking the Bay Ridge bound R shuttle on Sunday nights. Be prepared for a LONG wait around 10:30pm. N, D, N, D, then finally after 18+ minutes the R shuttle finally shows up. Apparently they don't feel the need to keep the R shuttle at regular 12 minute intervals to match the frequency of the D, N and Q at that time and make connections with those trains. Super crowded at 59th St Brooklyn by the time the R train finally showed up. Would have been faster to just walk to 86th St. The R shuttle finally shows up at 59th St at 11:02pm Sunday nights. Crowd is 3 deep near middle of the platform, waiting and waiting and waiting.

I would think given the current circumstances, I would consider having that branch of the (R) continue running to Jay Street at all times just so that station stays open. Once things return to normal, then perhaps it may be time to extend the (R) shuttle full-time to at least Atlantic Avenue-Barclays if not Jay or Court Street OR have the (N) go back to being a shuttle like it used to be to 36th (or Atlantic-Barclays) with the (Q) replacing the (N) as the full-time Astoria train (though the (N) would only not run there in overnights) and the (R) running to 71st-Continental, allowing the (E) to run express at all times along QB.

Edited to add:

And thank goodness it ISN'T up to you!

I don't know where all these crazy fantasies are coming from, but the whole reason the (R) ISN'T running full service is due to the Montague Tunnel!!!! Once that gets back, the entire line gets back. However, trains may be bypassing Whitehall St for a while, since that whole complex is a hazmat zone

Obviously, I know that now, but keywords there were "where Whitehall can't be used BUT Montague is usable." You missed the fact I was saying IF Montauge was usable, which clearly it is not and won't be for some time to come.

I would think given the current circumstances, I would consider having that branch of the (R) continue running to Jay Street at all times just so that station stays open. Once things return to normal, then perhaps it may be time to extend the (R) shuttle full-time to at least Atlantic Avenue-Barclays if not Jay or Court Street OR have the (N) go back to being a shuttle like it used to be to 36th (or Atlantic-Barclays) with the (Q) replacing the (N) as the full-time Astoria train (though the (N) would only not run there in overnights) and the (R) running to 71st-Continental, allowing the (E) to run express at all times along QB.

NO. Just stop. Enough with the BS fantasies.

It's not a BS fantasy. It's called a re-evaluation of everything post-Sandy, which is what I would be doing.

After a storm like this, with service having been disrupted for extended periods in some cases, it does in my view require a re-evaluation to see if changes are necessary in some instances based on things that could not have necessarily been thought of beforehand.

It's not a BS fantasy. It's called a re-evaluation of everything post-Sandy, which is what I would be doing.

After a storm like this, with service having been disrupted for extended periods in some cases, it does in my view require a re-evaluation to see if changes are necessary in some instances based on things that could not have necessarily been thought of beforehand.

No, you just want a reason to send X train to Y street just cuz it never did it before. Im pretty sure the MTA knows that they are doing

You just don't know when to quit. Jay/Court can't be used as a terminal as long as there is service coming from Manhattan via the tunnel. As for everything else, you just want to completely rewrite the entire route map??? I mean, is this actually about improving service, or just about seeing trains where you don't normally see them?

Archived