Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DJ MC

Amtrak To Use Via Rail Equipment On It's Trains

http://narprail.org/news/hotline/2148-hotline-785-november-16-2012

The passenger railroad has been confronting serious challenges in the wake of the super storm, including pumping three million gallons of salt water from the Hudson River and East River Tunnels, and restoring a critical electrical substation damaged by flooding. Amtrak workers have aggressively responded to these challenges, however, and Amtrak President & CEO Joseph Boardman has expressed confidence that the system will be well positioned to handle next week’s flood of travelers.

“We expect to be able to cover our full service load for Thanksgiving,” Boardman told Bloomberg News. “There are a lot of people that want to move.”

An agreement stuck with VIA Rail Canada has secured extra equipment for Amtrak, a key solution to the operational strain faced by the railroad. Amtrak’s Adirondack service will be utilizing two sets of VIA Rail equipment between Albany and Montreal over the next two weeks. The VIA Rail sets will consist of five coaches and one Observation-Dome ‘Park’ Car, which will used as a lounge car. This arrangement will necessitate a cross-platform change at Rensselaer between the VIA Rail equipment and regular Amfleet-equipped trains for the Albany to New York Penn segment.

While Amtrak has leased extra equipment from New Jersey Transit in the past to supply extra capacity for the holidays, NJ Transit experienced significant fleet damage as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

• Upvote 1

Damn I wish these were coming down here to NYC. Anyway, are they gonna still have the MARC and NJT sets running the NEC after Thanksgiving this year?

EDIT: Saw in the other thread for Thanksgiving schedule discussion that they will be running.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I'm gonna fan these.

Go for it. It's not every day things like this happens.

I think you guys can figure this out since the article linked to the site stated "Amtrak announced that it is well positioned to handle the surge of Thanksgiving holiday travelers."

• Upvote 1

Thank you DJ Thank you for making me feel like a dumb *** lol anyways Thank you for that.

Thank you DJ Thank you for making me feel like a dumb *** lol anyways Thank you for that.

lol No problem.

http://narprail.org/...ovember-16-2012

The passenger railroad has been confronting serious challenges in the wake of the super storm, including pumping three million gallons of salt water from the Hudson River and East River Tunnels, and restoring a critical electrical substation damaged by flooding. Amtrak workers have aggressively responded to these challenges, however, and Amtrak President & CEO Joseph Boardman has expressed confidence that the system will be well positioned to handle next week’s flood of travelers.

“We expect to be able to cover our full service load for Thanksgiving,” Boardman told Bloomberg News. “There are a lot of people that want to move.”

An agreement stuck with VIA Rail Canada has secured extra equipment for Amtrak, a key solution to the operational strain faced by the railroad. Amtrak’s Adirondack service will be utilizing two sets of VIA Rail equipment between Albany and Montreal over the next two weeks. The VIA Rail sets will consist of five coaches and one Observation-Dome ‘Park’ Car, which will used as a lounge car. This arrangement will necessitate a cross-platform change at Rensselaer between the VIA Rail equipment and regular Amfleet-equipped trains for the Albany to New York Penn segment.

While Amtrak has leased extra equipment from New Jersey Transit in the past to supply extra capacity for the holidays, NJ Transit experienced significant fleet damage as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

Hence, why I asked. I don't live near the line, so it's not that easy for me to go over there, so i'd rather not schlep over there, every day to see when they start using equipment.

Damn I wish these were coming down here to NYC. Anyway, are they gonna still have the MARC and NJT sets running the NEC after Thanksgiving this year?

EDIT: Saw in the other thread for Thanksgiving schedule discussion that they will be running.

They may still get the MARC set, but they arent getting any NJT stuff as years past. Reason why they got the VIA cars to run from Montreal to Albany will let Amtrak use a set of Amfleet cars on the NEC.

OK, I just heard that this VIA Rail equipment is being used due to Amtrak equipment being loaned to NJT. Is this true, and if so where is NJT running the Amtrak equipment?

OK, I just heard that this VIA Rail equipment is being used due to Amtrak equipment being loaned to NJT. Is this true, and if so where is NJT running the Amtrak equipment?

I've been hearing the same thing as well, but I need to look into it to make sure.

Edited by DJ MC

NEC