2012 Vintage train shopper special

pjbr40

Does anyone know offhand if the G.O. for this has been modified for December 2nd?

The main reason why I am asking is because the ©harlie's will be terminating there, since the Culver Viaduct is shut-down, which will be sending the (F) s to Euclid Avenue.

Does anyone know offhand if the G.O. for this has been modified for December 2nd?

The main reason why I am asking is because the ©harlie's will be terminating there, since the Culver Viaduct is shut-down, which will be sending the (F) s to Euclid Avenue.

Probably not, seeing how a G.O. like this occurred last year during the vintage runs. The TPH's are so minimal, it won't affect service

When the V terminated at 2nd Avenue, it ran every 6 minutes - 10 tph. The C runs every 10 minutes on weekends - 6 tph. Adding in less than 1 tph for the holiday special still comes to less than 10 tph. The terminal should have no trouble handling the service.

When is the Vintage Train party they usually do every year?

2nd Avenue - Houston Street. What's nice is that the train is there for about 10 to 15 minutes, so the people can enjoy the party with a vintage train in the background as well.

Are the R32s still on the H line at the moment? More than makes up for not being in town for the holiday special (I leave on Friday!)

They will be there for a long while, so don't worry. It'll probably last until they fix completely restore service to Manhattan, and that's scheduled for mid-2013.

Awesome. Sussing out the right time of the day to photograph there... Seems to be a morning or afternoon spot. Level crossing at Inwood should be interesting. Enthused to be able to get decent shots of the R32s anyway... The C isn't exactly photogenic!

• 4 weeks later...

i wonder when they are going back now that the holidays are over

First of all, the crew has to inspect the trucks on those cars (and probably the entire train) since they were used several times during the past month. Once that's done and everything looks good, then they will put those cars back in the museum.

My educated guess as far as when this will get done - probably by the middle of the month.

First of all, the crew has to inspect the trucks on those cars (and probably the entire train) since they were used several times during the past month. Once that's done and everything looks good, then they will put those cars back in the museum.

My educated guess as far as when this will get done - probably by the middle of the month.

I was told by Transit Museum staff that it's done over the two-day period the museum is closed.

I was told by Transit Museum staff that it's done over the two-day period the museum is closed.

I disagree for several reasons:

a) First of all, when is the next time the museum is going to be closed for two days in a row? That chance already happened with New Years Day happening on a Tuesday.

b) I am 100% confident that it did not take two full days to get 100, 484 and 1575 out of the museum, couple them up with the other Arnines (100, 381, 401, 1000, 1300) and move 4280 and 4281 in there. The main reason why is because I watched the crew do the move within a couple of hours, not days, regardless of where the 'substitute' cars come from.

c) Also, did it take two full days to move the LIRR Caboose C-60 into the museum? I honestly do not think so. According to the credits from the film "The Route of the Dashing C-60" (see below for the film), it took one full day (April 4th) to move the Caboose across Long Island and into the 207 Street Yard. In addition, the following Saturday, within a couple of hours (like 2 or 3), the crew, with the help of a locomotive, were able to move the caboose from the 207 Street Yard to the Museum, before the museum opened at 12 Noon to the public on that day.

Here is the film:

I disagree for several reasons:

a) First of all, when is the next time the museum is going to be closed for two days in a row? That chance already happened with New Years Day happening on a Tuesday.

b) I am 100% confident that it did not take two full days to get 100, 484 and 1575 out of the museum, couple them up with the other Arnines (100, 381, 401, 1000, 1300) and move 4280 and 4281 in there.

I still think they're in there. the R40S are still operational, so they can literally drive out when the museum closes to Pitkin. And so are the Arnines. It would be just like uncoupling any other cars, which should only take a matter of seconds, because they do it in the yard on an everyday basis. Even if the cars aren't together, it should only take a matter of hours. And then after that, they can just drive to the museum. Granted, it might take a bit for it to pull into the museum, in order to make sure it won't hit the other trains, but this could all easily be done in two days. And yes, I was saying that the staff said that it would be on the two days the museum was closed, when I went there on the 29th.

I still think they're in there. the R40S are still operational, so they can literally drive out when the museum closes to Pitkin. And so are the Arnines. It would be just like uncoupling any other cars, which should only take a matter of seconds, because they do it in the yard on an everyday basis. Even if the cars aren't together, it should only take a matter of hours. And then after that, they can just drive to the museum. Granted, it might take a bit for it to pull into the museum, in order to make sure it won't hit the other trains, but this could all easily be done in two days. And yes, I was saying that the staff said that it would be on the two days the museum was closed, when I went there on the 29th.

From knowing the crew, I honestly don't think they inspected those cars that fast. However, I could be dead wrong - like you said CDTA, its a matter of what is in the museum now - whether the R40S or the other cars. I also still think the entire process can be easily done within a couple of hours, not days, especially since they are on the end and very accessible.

Archived