The B25 bus and the IND Fulton Street subway line

RollOver

In 2010, the MTA wanted to axe the B25. But in all honesty, untill all of Fulton is ADA, it won't happen. ADA, and access to streets between stations, is what makes the B25 IMHO an asset. Currently, only Jay st and Franklin is ADA and I believe Utica is next. As to Eric's idea about the 25 replacing the C, well that's like getting people off the lex and onto buses. Unless you have to, why use a bus when the subway is overall faster? I do, however agree that lcl/exp service should start earlier and end later. Even the last Lefferts A for the night has a good amout of riders on it as well as the 2nd Far rock that connects to the Lefferts shuttle.

(I say second since the first lefferts shuttle is actually scheduled to leave euclid before the last lefferts exp after a connection with a far rock)

I've always wonder that once all Brooklyn stations on the (A) and (C) between High Street and Grant Avenue are ADA-accessible, ridership increases on the (C) route with all the extra riders from the B25 bus plus slightly more crowding on the (A). I always wish they should have kept about just 300 R32s and scrap the R42s, make the (J)(Z) entirely R160s like the (M). There are enough cars for more (L) service, remember that it runs 22-24 trains at rush hour according to the Joe Korner's datasheet. All that just makes me wonder why are the R42s still in service...?

Keep in mind the distances between the local stations--one of the features of the IND. It's quite a walk between Nostrand and Throop.

I am not talking out of my rear, as anything I say I have done.

Because of sporadic C service, sometimes I would get off at Nostrand AV....if there was a C, then obviously I would take it. If I missed it, then I would walk. If there was a 25 bus along the route, I would take it. Some of the ridership has to do with the sporadic (C) service.

You also have keep in mind what segments of the route are packed. If a person is at Fulton Mall and wants to get to say Ft. Greene and there is a 25 bus there, he might take the bus rather than the C train. Once you account for the waiting time for the (C), you'll probably get there quicker with the bus.

Some people might also live near the local stop along the C and want the express stop. Makes sense, again to take the bus if it's there. No need waiting 10+ mins for a local train only to go a couple stops for the (A).

I know some of what I said makes no sense, but that's because the (C) train "makes no sense". I can't tell you how many times I was left waiting more than 15+ minutes for a train--and this happened with frequency. By far, this was probably the most unreliable line I have taken.

The B25 actually saved my butt a few times because of this.

Bottom line, IMO, if the (C) trains becomes more reliable, then there will probably be less B25 ridership.

I've always wonder that once all Brooklyn stations on the (A) and (C) between High Street and Grant Avenue are ADA-accessible, ridership increases on the (C) route with all the extra riders from the B25 bus plus slightly more crowding on the (A). I always wish they should have kept about just 300 R32s and scrap the R42s, make the (J)(Z) entirely R160s like the (M). There are enough cars for more (L) service, remember that it runs 22-24 trains at rush hour according to the Joe Korner's datasheet. All that just makes me wonder why are the R42s still in service...?

What does a certain car being used have to do with (C) ridership and the B25?

What does a certain car being used have to do with (C) ridership and the B25?

<_<

Because the (C) has the lower amount of trains and its headways are longer as it runs 18 trains which leads me to believing ridership decreased, that's what I was also referring to.........................

<_<

Because the (C) has the lower amount of trains and its headways are longer as it runs 18 trains which leads me to believing ridership decreased, that's what I was also referring to.........................

Ridership decreased? Ill take note of that the next time I don't get a seat.

The MTA doesn't need a decrease in ridership to lower service. As long as they keep trains crowded. That's how they save money.

The (C) is already less crowded through most of the day since many disabled/elderly people use the B25 bus above in Brooklyn as some had said here and I also read up in some past threads way back that more people use the (1) in Manhattan a few blocks away. That is obvious of course. And even if they all do take the (C), riders often get off at the express stops when they see the (A) even at rush hour......................

And even if the (C) does run longer than 10 minutes, there is still seat availability, is it...? I would know since I ride the (C) frequently too. That's why I think if they had all Fulton stations ADA accessible and cut the B25 bus, ridership increases with slight more crowds on the (A) as well. That's also why I think it needs about 4-6 more trains so it can run at perfect 10 minute headways as it does take an hour and like say 30 minutes for it to get between 168th and Euclid. Hence why I agreed long ago that the (C) requires the right number amount of car types like the R160A-1s and/or the R143s than the remaining 222 R32s..........

Why would all the Fulton stations need ADA when it's 'cheaper' to just leave the B25 around as a parallel route? Not to mention there's a lot of other stations with higher ridership that could use the elevators more than any of the local stops on Fulton.

To make all riders there use one or two subway routes ( (C) local and (A) express) than to just take the bus and transfer at Jay Street-MetroTech via the elevators when they can basically take the subway straight into Lower, Midtown, or Upper Manhattan or get off at any of the local stops........................

Archived