Sandy Prompts New York City’s Schools to Cancel 3 Days Off in Feb.

Shortline Bus

Man, if you're gonna insult me, you really have to do better than that. :lol:

If you think it's alright for the school system to waste their money and the students' time by not allowing them to graduate early, then yes, you are a moron. That was simply stating a fact. If it insults you, that's an added bonus.

Don't forget that school funding is predicated on an 180 day school year and on the number of students enrolled in the system(s). I don't know if that's a federal and/or state requirement but it would seem that it's in a system's monetary interest to keep a student in school for as long as possible. In my case I completed my Regent's requirement in the first half of my senior year when I was 16 years old but because I hadn't applied to any colleges at that time I had to remain in school for the rest of the school year. From January to June I had to stay in school and take 4 classes a day, English, History, Art, and Phys Ed (swimming) every day even though I'd taken and passed my Regents exam in the first two. Basically I hung out and had fun for four periods every day.There were a few others in the same boat as I was, too young to leave school, yet we were forced to stay. Two females transfered to Midwood HS because they couldn't swim a lap in the pool at Erasmus Hall and that was one of the requirements for graduation at my alma mater. What did that have to do with graduation when we'd already passed the Regents requirement? Looking back on that time from today's perspective it appears that was a Board of Ed financial deal and had nothing to do with education. Keep 'em in school and the dollars flow in to the school system. Just my opinion. Carry on.

You're right, school is useless.

Drop out.

I get the satisfaction of tutoring these kids now and days and quite frankly if these kids weren't so damn lazy there wouldn't be such a push to keep kids in school longer. The problem is kids in the U.S.overall are falling behind in terms of education, particularly in reading, math and science. Some argue that part of the reason is that kids aren't in school long enough. Now I'm not going to say that kids need more hours in school, but they certainly aren't focusing themselves enough on learning. Too many damn video games, hanging out, etc. etc. etc.

Schooling here in the U.S. and say Europe is so different. When I studied in Europe it was up to the student to give a damn and to challenge themselves. As far as I'm concerned kids not being in school long enough isn't the real issue. It's the fact that kids now and days don't think they're learning anything and that's the real problem. Looking back on my education, it's not just about books and all of that. It's about what you learn about LIFE and surviving in the real world that school helps to prepare you for like time management, being responsible, learning how to overcome challenges, etc. These things seem small and trivial, but let's look at today's working population and the amount of folks taking on low paying unskilled jobs. It says a lot about the lack of education that our current generation and future generations are getting. Kids can't read, can't write and all of this correlates into adults that can't function properly in society, can't hold a real job and in turn a society that will become more and more dependent upon taking handouts because they're too weak to get out there and support themselves with a real job. Hell the amount of idiots I get on the phone for customer service just shows me how much trouble we are in terms of a lack of education.

Everyone is going to college these days just because. Truly scary.

I get the satisfaction of tutoring these kids now and days and quite frankly if these kids weren't so damn lazy there wouldn't be such a push to keep kids in school longer. The problem is kids in the U.S.overall are falling behind in terms of education, particularly in reading, math and science. Some argue that part of the reason is that kids aren't in school long enough. Now I'm not going to say that kids need more hours in school, but they certainly aren't focusing themselves enough on learning. Too many damn video games, hanging out, etc. etc. etc.

Schooling here in the U.S. and say Europe is so different. When I studied in Europe it was up to the student to give a damn and to challenge themselves. As far as I'm concerned kids not being in school long enough isn't the real issue. It's the fact that kids now and days don't think they're learning anything and that's the real problem. Looking back on my education, it's not just about books and all of that. It's about what you learn about LIFE and surviving in the real world that school helps to prepare you for like time management, being responsible, learning how to overcome challenges, etc. These things seem small and trivial, but let's look at today's working population and the amount of folks taking on low paying unskilled jobs. It says a lot about the lack of education that our current generation and future generations are getting. Kids can't read, can't write and all of this correlates into adults that can't function properly in society, can't hold a real job and in turn a society that will become more and more dependent upon taking handouts because they're too weak to get out there and support themselves with a real job. Hell the amount of idiots I get on the phone for customer service just shows me how much trouble we are in terms of a lack of education.

Everyone is going to college these days just because. Truly scary.

Key word: Kids overall. Even some of my teachers have said that a one-size-fits-all system won't work. They're treating kids like me the same way as you're treating potential dropouts. Because I happen to live in America instead of Europe, I'm automatically playing video games and hanging out?

School doesn't teach you jack shit about life. All this BS about "time management" and all that. So I need to spend additional time in school just to learn time management? If I graduated early, started college early and started a job early, I'd "learn" about that shit anyway. I wouldn't be able to get the grades I do if I didn't have some idea of the concept of time management and all that BS, now would I?

I've talked to plenty of adults that said the same thing. My dad graduated high school at 16.5, got an associate's degree at 18, and he's doing fine. If he had bought into that BS about "time management", he'd be out about 2 years worth of money with nothing to show for it in terms of being more successful. The jobs he applied for didn't care about how long it took to get his degrees. All they cared about was the fact that he had them. And once he had them, he performed his job just as well as he would've if he had spent the extra time in school. Would you rather have two extra years of work experience or two extra years of school? Even if you want to learn these "skills", you'll learn them a lot better in an actual job, rather than school.

But back then, they were actually smart enough to realize that there's no advantage to keeping kids in school longer than they need to be. My senior year is basically all AP classes with one Health class (which is total BS because I took it in middle school, and aside from that if I wanted to have unprotected sex, I would've had it by now). Since AP classes are basically college classes (and I've already took college classes to begin with), why don't they just let me go straight into college? Back in the day, they would've just sent me on my merry way. Instead, they've given me useless classes like gym. What's the point in that? I exercise, I eat healthy, and I'm in good shape. If you're going to keep me in school, at least give me classes that are useful. A class like AP Chemistry or AP Italian would be much more useful in my life than gym.

As Trainmaster said, they're just trying to bloat their budget (and boost their stats because keeping a smart student like myself in school is going to obviously boost up test scores and crap like that). And you have schools that don't accept AP classes, so now (as far as my undergraduate degree is concerned), I'm limited to which colleges I can go to, because most Ivy Leagues don't accept these credits (and most colleges have a cap on how many AP/College Now credits they accept, even if they do accept them).

All this regulation is stupid. They think they'll fix the "problem" by throwing money at it. My dad skipped the 8th grade, and his classes in 7th & 9th grade (back then, they had a 2-year SP program in many schools, so you did three years worth of work in two years) had about 40-50 students. They all did fine. Now, they're obsessed with "smaller class sizes", and making sure you spend the full 13 years in school. I don't know how old Trainmaster is, but if he skipped a grade, there was likely an SP program or something like that back when he was in school. You're going to tell him he was unsuccessful because he didn't spend the full 13 years in school? I'm sure he showed up to work on time and managed his time and was responsible and all that crap.

Now, granted, NJ & LI probably have some of these programs, because everybody brags about how good the schools are out there, but why don't they have them here in NYC? They do it on a very limited basis, but it's a PITA to do it. (I tried and they denied me) They should be doing it on a large scale and making it easier to do it. Then they can save money (and when we go into the workforce earlier, we're paying taxes that much earlier), and if they want, they can reinvest it to provide a better experience. I'd rather have 2-3 years of classes that are useful and I'm going to need than 4 years of crap.

Key word: Kids overall. Even some of my teachers have said that a one-size-fits-all system won't work. They're treating kids like me the same way as you're treating potential dropouts. Because I happen to live in America instead of Europe, I'm automatically playing video games and hanging out?

School doesn't teach you jack shit about life. All this BS about "time management" and all that. So I need to spend additional time in school just to learn time management? If I graduated early, started college early and started a job early, I'd "learn" about that shit anyway. I wouldn't be able to get the grades I do if I didn't have some idea of the concept of time management and all that BS, now would I?

I've talked to plenty of adults that said the same thing. My dad graduated high school at 16.5, got an associate's degree at 18, and he's doing fine. If he had bought into that BS about "time management", he'd be out about 2 years worth of money with nothing to show for it in terms of being more successful. The jobs he applied for didn't care about how long it took to get his degrees. All they cared about was the fact that he had them. And once he had them, he performed his job just as well as he would've if he had spent the extra time in school. Would you rather have two extra years of work experience or two extra years of school? Even if you want to learn these "skills", you'll learn them a lot better in an actual job, rather than school.

But back then, they were actually smart enough to realize that there's no advantage to keeping kids in school longer than they need to be. My senior year is basically all AP classes with one Health class (which is total BS because I took it in middle school, and aside from that if I wanted to have unprotected sex, I would've had it by now). Since AP classes are basically college classes (and I've already took college classes to begin with), why don't they just let me go straight into college? Back in the day, they would've just sent me on my merry way. Instead, they've given me useless classes like gym. What's the point in that? I exercise, I eat healthy, and I'm in good shape. If you're going to keep me in school, at least give me classes that are useful. A class like AP Chemistry or AP Italian would be much more useful in my life than gym.

As Trainmaster said, they're just trying to bloat their budget (and boost their stats because keeping a smart student like myself in school is going to obviously boost up test scores and crap like that). And you have schools that don't accept AP classes, so now (as far as my undergraduate degree is concerned), I'm limited to which colleges I can go to, because most Ivy Leagues don't accept these credits (and most colleges have a cap on how many AP/College Now credits they accept, even if they do accept them).

All this regulation is stupid. They think they'll fix the "problem" by throwing money at it. My dad skipped the 8th grade, and his classes in 7th & 9th grade (back then, they had a 2-year SP program in many schools, so you did three years worth of work in two years) had about 40-50 students. They all did fine. Now, they're obsessed with "smaller class sizes", and making sure you spend the full 13 years in school. I don't know how old Trainmaster is, but if he skipped a grade, there was likely an SP program or something like that back when he was in school. You're going to tell him he was unsuccessful because he didn't spend the full 13 years in school? I'm sure he showed up to work on time and managed his time and was responsible and all that crap.

Now, granted, NJ & LI probably have some of these programs, because everybody brags about how good the schools are out there, but why don't they have them here in NYC? They do it on a very limited basis, but it's a PITA to do it. (I tried and they denied me) They should be doing it on a large scale and making it easier to do it. Then they can save money (and when we go into the workforce earlier, we're paying taxes that much earlier), and if they want, they can reinvest it to provide a better experience. I'd rather have 2-3 years of classes that are useful and I'm going to need than 4 years of crap.

Your rant is so unnecessary because I said kids overall in my original post. If it doesn't apply to you then no need to go off of the deep end for it. No one is forcing you to go to school. If it irritates you so much then don't go, that's all. I've been teaching off of and on for over 10 years now so I see exactly what is going on with the system and it sucks royally. Many of the parents don't give a damn and just think that putting kids in school longer will do the trick and the kids don't give a damn either because they're so busy b*tching about how long they have to be in school and what school doesn't do for them, so it's up to the teachers to pull friggin' miracles and get the results. That's exactly why I turned down a teaching position with the DOE because I saw exactly how the system was set up and not much has changed over the years. Sad but true.

In short, you can overhaul the system all you want, but I believe that it starts at home with the parents as well as with the students. Furthermore, you keep talking about yourself as if your situation applies to all students when it doesn't. Okay so you're not obese, but that doesn't mean that gym should be cancelled just because you're in shape. In fact kids are more obese and overweight now then they've ever been before and the situation is only getting worse.

As for the whole college rant, I agree with the changes as well. You've got kids coming out of college that sure as hell aren't ready for the real world. Some of them still can't write properly. It's insane. What's happening is we're dimming down the standards and the only ones suffering are the students in the process.

I'm sorry to break the news to you, but you do not know everything, though I'm sure you feel you do because you get high grades. Grades are just that... Grades... There is more to life than getting high test scores.

Completely agree.

If this kid has it all figured out, I don't even know why he would bother attending college. Just drop out now and go find a job. Now college isn't for everyone, but to sit here and say that school doesn't teach kids anything is an insult to all of the teachers out there that are busting their @sses trying to teach these kids something.

I'm sorry to break the news to you, but you do not know everything, though I'm sure you feel you do because you get high grades. Grades are just that... Grades... There is more to life than getting high test scores.

Where did he say "I know everything?"

And you rant 3x as much as him, so you shouldn't be one to criticize on that front.

Your rant is so unnecessary because I said kids overall in my original post. If it doesn't apply to you then no need to go off of the deep end for it. No one is forcing you to go to school. If it irritates you so much then don't go, that's all. I've been teaching off of and on for over 10 years now so I see exactly what is going on with the system and it sucks royally. Many of the parents don't give a damn and just think that putting kids in school longer will do the trick and the kids don't give a damn either because they're so busy b*tching about how long they have to be in school and what school doesn't do for them, so it's up to the teachers to pull friggin' miracles and get the results. That's exactly why I turned down a teaching position with the DOE because I saw exactly how the system was set up and not much has changed over the years. Sad but true.

I'm in agreeance with most of your arguements, but not all. You argue that students should to attending or drop out, yet it would be very detrimental to their future. I'll admit that there was times in my life that I just stop attending and couldn't give a f**k about anything else in life, but that truly displaces you in school.

Then you state that students don't care and that parennts offer no support. Could this be hinting that students are undermotivated and have lost interest in the redundancy of school?

In short, you can overhaul the system all you want, but I believe that it starts at home with the parents as well as with the students. Furthermore, you keep talking about yourself as if your situation applies to all students when it doesn't. Okay so you're not obese, but that doesn't mean that gym should be cancelled just because you're in shape. In fact kids are more obese and overweight now then they've ever been before and the situation is only getting worse.

I'm in partial agreeance with the bolded statement.

As for the whole college rant, I agree with the changes as well. You've got kids coming out of college that sure as hell aren't ready for the real world. Some of them still can't write properly. It's insane. What's happening is we're dimming down the standards and the only ones suffering are the students in the process.

Agreed, indefinitely.

I personally don't see he comes of with that attitude, but your opinion.

What I got from this is that like in most situations, the system favors the majority, while the minority gets f**ked at the end, for better or worse.

Where did he say "I know everything?"

And you rant 3x as much as him, so you shouldn't be one to criticize on that front.

He has brought up this topic in other threads complaining about how he wants to be skipped so that he can get out early. He doesn't have to say it. It's pretty clear from his past posts that he doesn't think school is of any value to him because he talks about how he sleeps in class and so on and what a waste of time school is, so like I said then why bother attending then... Don't go to college if you feel that there is no value in getting an education.

I'm in agreeance with most of your arguements, but not all. You argue that students should to attending or drop out, yet it would be very detrimental to their future. I'll admit that there was times in my life that I just stop attending and couldn't give a f**k about anything else in life, but that truly displaces you in school.

No I argued that those who feel like school is of no use to them they should go out and do something else. School is not for everyone and there are some folks who just aren't cut out for it. For others however, as you said, school is detrimental to their future. However, some folks either don't see this or don't want to acknowledge this.

Then you state that students don't care and that parennts offer no support. Could this be hinting that students are undermotivated and have lost interest in the redundancy of school?

As I said before, this all starts at home. There are some parents that really do care and some that could care less. My point is you can't expect teachers to work miracles if the kids nor the parents give a damn and today the system is set up for the teacher to perform, but what about the responsibility of the student and the parents?

I remember back in college I had a roommate who did nothing buy hung out and smoked weed all day. I was so disgusted that I requested to be moved to my own room and paid extra to get out early. Long story short the kid was basically kicked out for truancy and low grades at the end of the semester. Total waste of time and money.

What I got from this is that like in most situations, the system favors the majority, while the minority gets f**ked at the end, for better or worse.

Well the system is far from perfect but as I said before it comes down to the culture and the parents. It amazes me how kids in other countries are motivated and that's because there is a value placed on learning and an understanding of why it is important to go to school. Places like Sweden and Finland for example, the teachers are highly respected and they aren't expected to come in and motivate the students. The students show up understanding that they are there to learn and value and respect that the teachers are there to guide them and teach them. The parents are more involved and the system is set up so that the parents must be involved and teach their kids the value of an education. In Germany for example when kids miss school, the parents can be arrested if truancy becomes an issue.

It is no secret that these countries have students with some of the highest performance levels in the world in terms of education while American children continue to fall behind overall. And yes some of them have long days too, but rather than complain about how much time they spend in school, they use the time wisely and do what they have to do.

Now college isn't for everyone, but to sit here and say that school doesn't teach kids anything is an insult to all of the teachers out there that are busting their @sses trying to teach these kids something.

So what do you have to say about teachers that admit that their subjects won't mean sh*t in the real world?

My science teacher has said that nothing that we cover in the class is actually going to help us get a job and whatnot, unless you wish to be a scientist, but that the school board mandates that we be taught that crap anyway.

I'm not going to go out and say that school is downright useless, but some stuff that they teach really won't be beneficial to us in the future. You have to have a bloody art credit (music/drawing/drama) in order to graduate! It's not optional.

Also, being a high school student, I have witnessed some situations where even basic classes like English don't do crap either. I use big words in my conversations, which is a move I've caught a lot of flack for, with people telling me to 'speak English' and what not.

So what do you have to say about teachers that admit that their subjects won't mean sh*t in the real world?

My science teacher has said that nothing that we cover in the class is actually going to help us get a job and whatnot, unless you wish to be a scientist, but that the school board mandates that we be taught that crap anyway.

I'm not going to go out and say that school is downright useless, but some stuff that they teach really won't be beneficial to us in the future. You have to have a bloody art credit (music/drawing/drama) in order to graduate! It's not optional.

Also, being a high school student, I have witnessed some situations where even basic classes like English don't do crap either. I use big words in my conversations, which is a move I've caught a lot of flack for, with people telling me to 'speak English' and what not.

I think my point is that school is what you make of it. Second, we (Americans, you're a Canadian from what I gather) continue to fall behind in important subjects like science, math and so on and we need these sorts of skilled folks for the future. We need to be innovative in terms of helping our economy to evolve so that we can remain competitive. Dimming down the importance of an education and skipping students to higher grades is not the answer. Now don't get me wrong, there are some very bright gifted kids out there that perhaps should be skipped when it is clear that they should go on to the next grade but for years the system has been pushing tons of kids forward that quite frankly should've been left behind until they demonstrated that they were ready to be in the next grade. There is nothing good about a student being pushed along when he or she is clearly not ready to be in the next grade.

Overall I think I had some pretty decent teachers. I can only recall one class in high school in which I had an uninspired, lazy teacher. They do exist out there and they need to be weeded out as well because they're just as bad as unmotivated students and parents.

We'll he's a fool because you absolutely must need a bachelor's degree to get that slice of American Apple pie i.e. a dream job. Unless you become a drug dealer or a pimp chances are to make some serious money and be competitive in the job market you need academic creudentials.

Getting the hint as to what's going on at least in the industry I work in, there could be a point where there are more than enough IT jobs but without the qualified professionals to fill them. That would tell me that just having IT certifications is not enough to hit a 6 digit salary, I will need a bachelor's in compuiter science, which is what I am aiming for.

Getting good grades in school now, can pave your way to completely legal ways to achieve great success. You may even qualify for scolarships. There's alot of perks from getting higher education.

Wait until you get in college, then as long as you have the funds to finance it, you will learn exactly what is needed for the job market in a plethora of fields.

Sorry but that science teacher is an idiot.

We'll he's a fool because you absolutely must need a bachelor's degree to get that slice of American Apple pie i.e. a dream job. Unless you become a drug dealer or a pimp chances are to make some serious money and be competitive in the job market you need academic creudentials.

Getting the hint as to what's going on at least in the industry I work in, there could be a point where there are more than enough IT jobs but without the qualified professionals to fill them. That would tell me that just having IT certifications is not enough to hit a 6 digit salary, I will need a bachelor's in compuiter science, which is what I am aiming for.

Getting good grades in school now, can pave your way to completely legal ways to achieve great success. You may even qualify for scolarships. There's alot of perks from getting higher education.

Wait until you get in college, then as long as you have the funds to finance it, you will learn exactly what is needed for the job market in a plethora of fields.

Sorry but that science teacher is an idiot.

Err, I'm Canadian, and as much as I know the qualifications are different here than they are in the States.

I can see where she's coming from, I don't wish to pursue a career in sciences so I have to question why we need to know some of the things we are taught, especially one unit that we did where we had to use protractors to measure the angles of triangles, which is what is covered in math.

She mentioned that you need the course so that you can graduate and all that ish, but that most people won't require the actual knowledge.

Currently, we import a lot of talent by letting people immigrate here. When people realize their talents could be better used elsewhere, we stop being in the center of innovation and lose our standing in the global economy. In terms of innovation, I believe those workaholic Japanese are at the top.

Err, I'm Canadian, and as much as I know the qualifications are different here than they are in the States.

Did'nt realize you're Canadian my apologies.

The thing is that at least for the United States it is vital to have a college background if you wish to land on a job that pays the bills and allows you to do what you want. Even within the MTA many hiring managers may be looking for applicants who have college degrees. That's where I'm coming from. I rarely hear of a NYC DOE teacher who would say that education is not important. That's why your teacher's comment was striking to me to say the least.

No one is forcing you to go to school. If it irritates you so much then don't go, that's all.

Oh, really? Nobody's forcing me to go? And my diploma's supposed to appear out of thin air, right? I'm forced to sit through all this crap because if I don't, I fail even if I know the material.

Okay so you're not obese, but that doesn't mean that gym should be cancelled just because you're in shape. In fact kids are more obese and overweight now then they've ever been before and the situation is only getting worse.

Gym doesn't do shit for the kids who are obese. Unless something drastic happens, somebody who enters 9th grade obese is going to graduate 12th grade obese. If they're obese, chances are they're not going to participate in gym much anyway.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. You're telling me that somebody managed to pass the AP English test without being able to write properly?

These AP classes are college-level classes, smart one. That means you know college-level material, but you're not getting credit for it in college.

When did I say I know everything, huh? I said I know enough of the curriculum to graduate early. The only classes I'm taking that are required are Participation in Government (which I already took the college version of, so if I can pass the college version, I obviously know enough to pass the high school version), AP English Literature (which if they think I'm capable of handling a college-level class, I obviously have an understanding of the high school-level material. Aside from that, we started off the class reading Hamlet, which I read back in 8th grade, and I've also taken AP English Language and passed with a 5/5, so that means I already have an understanding of college-level English, and therefore high school-level English). And then we have Health, which like I said, if I wanted to have unprotected sex, I would've done it by now (and I took that in 8th grade too).

Yes, you're sure I feel I know everything. Well, you're wrong. You love twisting around everything I say to make it seem like you're right. Go ahead. Prove the above statement wrong. Prove that I don't know enough of the curriculum to graduate early.

If this kid has it all figured out, I don't even know why he would bother attending college. Just drop out now and go find a job. Now college isn't for everyone, but to sit here and say that school doesn't teach kids anything is an insult to all of the teachers out there that are busting their @sses trying to teach these kids something.

Boy, I love it when you pick and choose what you read. When did I say school doesn't teach kids anything? I said there's no reason for kids to be in there longer than they need to be (which would either be when they have a grasp of the required material). Some kids grasp it earlier than others. Why should they have to sit through the same curriculum that all the regular kids do?

He's pulling crap out of his ass as usual. I never insinuated that I know everything. I said I know enough of the required curriculum to graduate. The only thing holding me back is my age. In fact, there were classes where I was specifically told that. I could've gone straight from Algebra II into AP Calculus, except for the fact that I was a year too young.

Word.

He has brought up this topic in other threads complaining about how he wants to be skipped so that he can get out early. He doesn't have to say it. It's pretty clear from his past posts that he doesn't think school is of any value to him because he talks about how he sleeps in class and so on and what a waste of time school is, so like I said then why bother attending then... Don't go to college if you feel that there is no value in getting an education.

Boy. I love the way you selectively read. I'm glad you didn't become a teacher, because then we'd have even more morons in this world.

I said when you know the material, that class is useless. The point of school is to learn. If you're not learning in a class, then said class is useless.

Aside from that, the point in going is for the diploma. You could be Albert Einstein himself, but if you don't have that piece of paper, you're not getting hired. Therefore, I put up with the BS of extra classes I don't need in order to get that diploma. If they said "We're hiring for ___ job based solely on what you know, and that piece of paper you call a diploma is meaningless", then I'd quit right now.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some very bright gifted kids out there that perhaps should be skipped when it is clear that they should go on to the next grade but for years the system has been pushing tons of kids forward that quite frankly should've been left behind until they demonstrated that they were ready to be in the next grade.

This defeats your entire argument. You're sitting here with this BS about "Oh, why don't you drop out?", "Why are you planning on going to college?" when meanwhile, it's obvious to anybody with half a brain that "it is clear that I should go on to the next grade". I never said school was useless. I said that the classes in which I know the curriculum are useless.

I swear, it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes. No, sorry, I shouldn't insult brick walls like that.

Did'nt realize you're Canadian my apologies.

That's quite alright.

The way I see it, school is a necessary evil; it's a pain in the a**, and the homework is downright unnecessary, and some crap that they teach you you won't even need, but you need a diploma if you wish to get a good job, and that seems like a good motivator to me.

If I were to get rid of one thing though, it would be the mandatory art credit - I'm a terrible artist, a garbage musician, and I hate performing in front of large crowds, so this requirement is basically screwing me over so bad. I don't like gym either, it's not the school's business how I should stay healthy, IMO. Luckily I'll be taking weight training, which seems preferable, especially as ladies like a guy with muscles ;)

Oh well, it is what it is.

to sum this all up about the benefits of staying in school or leaving early. this out of control monstrosity of a government that is so bloated wants this. big government loves the one size fits all, to do this they dont teach kids, they indoctrinate them. education must be taken away from the federal government and returned to local authority

joe

Oh, really? Nobody's forcing me to go? And my diploma's supposed to appear out of thin air, right? I'm forced to sit through all this crap because if I don't, I fail even if I know the material.

If you want the diploma then you've got to suck it up like other folks have and get it. Just because you feel you should be skipped ahead doesn't mean that you should. They're not going to change the standards just because you have a problem with them. What went on when your father went to school has nothing to do with you and your current situation. Times change and back then what he did was acceptable, but that's not the case today.

Gym doesn't do shit for the kids who are obese. Unless something drastic happens, somebody who enters 9th grade obese is going to graduate 12th grade obese. If they're obese, chances are they're not going to participate in gym much anyway.

And that's exactly how they became that way in the first place, by sitting on their @sses and doing nothing. Yeah, let's keep encouraging that because you think it's useless. You've got it all figured out as usual.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. You're telling me that somebody managed to pass the AP English test without being able to write properly?

I'm sorry but you have a reading problem. What I said was that people are graduating college that can't even write properly.

These AP classes are college-level classes, smart one. That means you know college-level material, but you're not getting credit for it in college.

Yeah, pardon me for not knowing that. I forgot about the AP classes I took in high school to know anything about this. How foolish of me.

When did I say I know everything, huh? I said I know enough of the curriculum to graduate early. The only classes I'm taking that are required are Participation in Government (which I already took the college version of, so if I can pass the college version, I obviously know enough to pass the high school version), AP English Literature (which if they think I'm capable of handling a college-level class, I obviously have an understanding of the high school-level material. Aside from that, we started off the class reading Hamlet, which I read back in 8th grade, and I've also taken AP English Language and passed with a 5/5, so that means I already have an understanding of college-level English, and therefore high school-level English). And then we have Health, which like I said, if I wanted to have unprotected sex, I would've done it by now (and I took that in 8th grade too).

Yes, you're sure I feel I know everything. Well, you're wrong. You love twisting around everything I say to make it seem like you're right. Go ahead. Prove the above statement wrong. Prove that I don't know enough of the curriculum to graduate early.

I don't have to prove anything. If what you say is true, you would've been skipped already. End of the story. Clearly those who are educating you think otherwise, even though you're so certain that you know it all.

Boy, I love it when you pick and choose what you read. When did I say school doesn't teach kids anything? I said there's no reason for kids to be in there longer than they need to be (which would either be when they have a grasp of the required material). Some kids grasp it earlier than others. Why should they have to sit through the same curriculum that all the regular kids do?

"School doesn't teach you jack shit about life."

Your words in quotes, not mine. Because checkmate thinks such and such, that makes it so.

He's pulling crap out of his ass as usual. I never insinuated that I know everything. I said I know enough of the required curriculum to graduate. The only thing holding me back is my age. In fact, there were classes where I was specifically told that. I could've gone straight from Algebra II into AP Calculus, except for the fact that I was a year too young.

Boy. I love the way you selectively read. I'm glad you didn't become a teacher, because then we'd have even more morons in this world.

I said when you know the material, that class is useless. The point of school is to learn. If you're not learning in a class, then said class is useless.

Aside from that, the point in going is for the diploma. You could be Albert Einstein himself, but if you don't have that piece of paper, you're not getting hired. Therefore, I put up with the BS of extra classes I don't need in order to get that diploma. If they said "We're hiring for ___ job based solely on what you know, and that piece of paper you call a diploma is meaningless", then I'd quit right now.

This defeats your entire argument. You're sitting here with this BS about "Oh, why don't you drop out?", "Why are you planning on going to college?" when meanwhile, it's obvious to anybody with half a brain that "it is clear that I should go on to the next grade". I never said school was useless. I said that the classes in which I know the curriculum are useless.

I swear, it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes. No, sorry, I shouldn't insult brick walls like that.

The fact of the matter is you don't get to decide if you skip to the next grade or not, so either deal with the set up or don't go to class. Your arrogant behavior of sleeping in class while teachers are trying to teach you something shows that you think you're above everyone else as if you're too smart to be bothered in the first place. I love these kids... They think they've got life all figured out.

to sum this all up about the benefits of staying in school or leaving early. this out of control monstrosity of a government that is so bloated wants this. big government loves the one size fits all, to do this they dont teach kids, they indoctrinate them. education must be taken away from the federal government and returned to local authority

I fear for the kids down south who will be indoctrinated with Creationism by the local authorities.

Archived