Why was the turnout at the fare and toll hike hearings so low?

BrooklynBus

For myself and a majority of my friends/families, we don't like the proposal, but we don't have the time to attend these kind of things. Truly if we did had time, we'd push for rising gas prices over the MTA prices going up first..personally speaking of course.

Like I said, I don't like it...but either way I'm going to have to deal with it.

BrooklynBus, did you chance to talk with Greg Mocker? He learned from (MTA) that only 5-6 people show up at MTA Public Hearing at Orange County and relocated White Plains Public Hearing.

I'll let you know how will postpone Long Island Public Hearing got relocated from Farmingdale State College to Melvitte Marriot.

MTA is providing shuttle bus to public hearing from Farmingdale Station.

To me, an extra quarter on the fare or a couple more dollars for a ticket doesn't make a big difference in my life, so I didn't go. And like everyone else said, the (MTA) is going to do what they want, when they want, regardless of what we say. So, whatever to me.

There is no question that the hike will occur. It is more a question of which plan folks prefer. I didn't have time to attend. Is it still possible to submit anything in writing?

On a side note, you should've put the whole non-refund issue you commented on in a separate piece. I knew they wouldn't provide any refunds. A rather typical and disturbing trend and somehow folks seem to think that's okay that they're basically robbing the paying passenger when they're already raising fares every few years.

I think a better question is are there so many folks out there that want to see the (MTA) funded that they're fine seeing passengers shafted in the process? As it is right now that's exactly what is happening. The question is how long will the paying public stand for this and why do they feel so "powerless" when confronting a public agency?

What does rising gas prices have to do with the MTA rising commuter fares and tolls? How is that supposed to help?

Reading is fundamental, obviously you haven't read my post correctly.

I said, people I know personally would probably not have the time to go to one of these MTA hearings about fare hikes that would 90% of the time happen either way. THOUGH, key word: THOUGH, if this were some time of hearing about gas prices, the PEOPLE I know, would actually make time for.

Again, fundamental, I never stated that gas prices and MTA go together. Gosh, it's like grade school all over again.

--

Also, I believe Jamaica Express, Brett, and VG8 has explained it another way that you clearly didn't understand with my post. I basically just threw in an example of what the people I know would preferably care for.

-- *EDIT 2* --

Excuse my rudeness, with this post, I didn't want to burst out like that.

I said, people I know personally would probably not have the time to go to one of these MTA hearings about fare hikes that would 90% of the time happen either way. THOUGH, key word: THOUGH, if this were some time of hearing about gas prices, the PEOPLE I know, would actually make time for.

Again, fundamental, I never stated that gas prices and MTA go together. Gosh, it's like grade school all over again.

--

Also, I believe Jamaica Express, Brett, and VG8 has explained it another way that you clearly didn't understand with my post. I basically just threw in an example of what the people I know would preferably care for.

-- *EDIT 2* --

Nah guy, now you are back tracking, your post said nothing like that. You didnt say if it were about gas prices more people would show up. Sorry but you are way out of line. You totally changed the whole theme of what you originally posted in your reply to me.

"Truly if we did had time, we'd push for rising gas prices over the MTA prices going up first..personally speaking of course."

Rising gas prices OVER MTA prices going up.

Sorry but you are way out of line. You totally changed the whole theme of what you originally posted in your reply to me.

====

I already apologized for the outburst before you even replied, but I'll take that.

Secondly yes, people I know and myself included have a harder time with gas prices going up rather MTA prices going up. For one, because MTA's prices are still lower then of a gallon of gas.

It may seem ridiculous when monthly's may go up to 120 a card, but for 120 a month, it's still better than 200-400 a month on gas. Basically until unlimited monthly's and average monthly pay-per-ride costs go over 200, then of course I can see more people heading to these hearings to protest and such. Until then, most people will just live with it.

I already apologized for the outburst before you even replied, but I'll take that.

Secondly yes, people I know and myself included have a harder time with gas prices going up rather MTA prices going up. For one, because MTA's prices are still lower then of a gallon of gas.

It may seem ridiculous when monthly's may go up to 120 a card, but for 120 a month, it's still better than 200-400 a month on gas. Basically until unlimited monthly's and average monthly pay-per-ride costs go over 200, then of course I can see more people heading to these hearings to protest and such. Until then, most people will just live with it.

Sorry about that, I didnt realise english was your second language. I was confused because you stated you and people you know would push for a raise in gas prices instead of MTA prices going up but I think you meant to say youd push for MTA prices to go up instead of gas prices if you had a choice. My bad.

BrooklynBus, did you chance to talk with Greg Mocker? He learned from (MTA) that only 5-6 people show up at MTA Public Hearing at Orange County and relocated White Plains Public Hearing.

I'll let you know how will postpone Long Island Public Hearing got relocated from Farmingdale State College to Melvitte Marriot.

MTA is providing shuttle bus to public hearing from Farmingdale Station.

I did not see Greg Mocker at the hearing. After viewing his piece on TV, I got the impression he left after the first ten minutes, perhaps to go up to the Bronx. If he would have stayed, there were several much more interesting people he could have spoken to than the one lady he interviewed probably before the hearing began.

There is no question that the hike will occur. It is more a question of which plan folks prefer. I didn't have time to attend. Is it still possible to submit anything in writing?

On a side note, you should've put the whole non-refund issue you commented on in a separate piece. I knew they wouldn't provide any refunds. A rather typical and disturbing trend and somehow folks seem to think that's okay that they're basically robbing the paying passenger when they're already raising fares every few years.

I think a better question is are there so many folks out there that want to see the (MTA) funded that they're fine seeing passengers shafted in the process? As it is right now that's exactly what is happening. The question is how long will the paying public stand for this and why do they feel so "powerless" when confronting a public agency?

I do not know the logistics involved in offering refunds or time extensions. Perhaps it would have been too difficult for the MTA to do this. But I see no reason why they couldn't have offered another type of compensation such as lowering the price of a seven day pass and a monthly pass temporarily for one week or one month? How difficult could that be? If it would have been to difficult at the ending machines, tey could have one it at the station booths only with proper announcements. That's what judges do when a company is found to have overcharged. They are forced to lower their price for a period of time rather than provide refunds just to those affected.

The website should tell you the last day to submit comments.

"Truly if we did had time, we'd push for rising gas prices over the MTA prices going up first..personally speaking of course."

Rising gas prices affect even non drivers. Items in the stores get more expensive because it becomes more expensive for trucks to deliver goods and they pass the costs on down to the store which then passes it on to the consumer.

Rising gas prices affect even non drivers. Items in the stores get more expensive because it becomes more expensive for trucks to deliver goods and they pass the costs on down to the store which then passes it on to the consumer.

Thank You. Even if you dont drive as Foxie points out, the price at groceries for milk, fruits and other foods goes up. In my neck of the woods, mass transit is also affected as say Ulster County Buses (known as UCAT) will use shorter school bus size buses even in height of rush hour. Thus park the full size 40-foot buses.

Sorry about that, I didnt realise english was your second language. I was confused because you stated you and people you know would push for a raise in gas prices instead of MTA prices going up but I think you meant to say youd push for MTA prices to go up instead of gas prices if you had a choice. My bad.

Sigh, sarcasm at best. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

--

-- *EDIT 2* --

happens to me alot here I didn't notice your outburst there buddy.

Fare issues right now:

- Delays really suck the life out of transfers

- Less pricey unlimited metrocards not a deal unless you use the system 7 days a week.

- Lower incomes get the largest burden of each increase.

- Fares do not cover by in large niche transfers between unrelated lines separated only by a short walk (like the (3) and (L) , (J) and (G) , etc.

I know of the four plan options, none of which I really liked too much (except the most expensive one). I saw the hit lower income riders and two fare zones would take, along with interboro commerce. I thought up of this based on the most expensive option. Since this is the subway form, I won't comment on bridges/tunnels and LIRR/MNR outside of the boros.

1. Raise the base subway/bus fare to $3, express bus to $6, 10% discount kicks in at $12.

1a. Unlimited options: 7-day $36, 14-day $69, 30-day $132, 7-day All-Access $60, 14-day All-Access $114, 30-day All-Access $216. All-Access cards include unlimited use of LIRR and MNR within NYC (zones 1-2 MNR, 1-3 LIRR except Far Rockaway). Card can be used at station machines to purchase a ticket for intra-city travel.

2. Encode (instead of 1) two free transfers on both, usable within three (or four) hours of start of trip.

Advantages/benefits:

- Greater infusion of revenue, hopefully eliminating need for bi-annual increases.

- Economic hit more evenly spread out.

- 2nd transfer greatly helps with short errand, two-fare to two fare, and intra-boro trips that lower incomes and college students typically make (who can't afford cars). For example, the price of a short shopping trip actually drops from $4.50 (now) to $3, provided it was done within the transfer time.

- The immediate economic hit of train delays (only unlimited passengers can just hop off and find alternate travel without paying again) will be minimized with the second transfer, and could allow for further reduction of staff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-plan-give-discounts-5-metrocards-article-1.1216599

The plan listed here also does its part in not hammering lower incomes, but I still unfortunately think it won't stem further increases down the line. It also doesn't solve the two fare issue and those who must exit the system to run an errand (like drop a child off at a babysitter or visit their favorite deli).

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1216599

The plan listed here also does its part in not hammering lower incomes, but I still unfortunately think it won't stem further increases down the line. It also doesn't solve the two fare issue and those who must exit the system to run an errand (like drop a child off at a babysitter or visit their favorite deli).

Well there's the unlimited Metrocard for that...

Archived