Wtf Is the A Trains Problem?

Juelz4309

If you had the chance to get on the the (C) at 59 St, WHY DIDN'T YOU? The C runs on 10 minute headways, so there is NO WAY, fast express or not, that you're going to catch that C's leader at 125/145.

From my reading of the initial post, it seems that the train's leader wasn't even a factor. I think he actually missed the same (C) that he gave up at 59th.

From my reading of the initial post, it seems that the train's leader wasn't even a factor. I think he actually missed the same (C) that he gave up at 59th.

He did. What's your point?

Snowblock is saying that at best, he would've caught the same (C) train he would've at 59th Street. At worst, he would've missed it and had to wait for the next one (which is what happened)

Stop bashing my (A) line. I blame the slow (D) for screwing everything up. The (A) lets the (D) run along its line between 59 and 135. The (A) should ban the (D) on that line, same thing with the (E), go screw up 6th ave, I don't care about that side of the world.

I Kid-

At least the (D) doesn't have 40+ year old trains......yet.

He did. What's your point?

Snowblock is saying that at best, he would've caught the same (C) train he would've at 59th Street. At worst, he would've missed it and had to wait for the next one (which is what happened)

Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. In that situation, you take the (C) at 59th, especially since the (A) and (D) are on timed signals there (of course, in reverse, if the (A) is at 145 or the (A) or (D) is at 125, you switch over if you need one of those lines anyway).

I used to have the same situation with the (6), though in rush hours, I never tried the game of taking the (4) or (5) to catch the (6), and in fact sometimes on the (6), I'd be dead even with the (4) or (5) in rush hours. Only time it was worth taking the (4) or (5) was if I happened to be going to 86th since that's of course an express stop. Otherwise, forget it.

Tonight on the (7) I got my favorite idiotic question. A family gets off at Grand Central and asks which way to get to the (S). I tell them that if they're going to Times Square it's fastest to just stay on this train, we're going there. He shakes his head no and says "but the map shows the (S) going straight to Times Square without making any extra stops" so I sigh and say "go to the end of the platform, up two levels of escalators, then down the long corridor".

This is why I never announce the (S) as a transfer when I work the (7)........

Err ok want a reward?

You asked a question and I gave you an answer.

If you wanted to be an a**hole with your response, trust and believe I can be a bigger a**hole about it.

Now do you want a cookie or a big piece of shut the hell up

Tonight on the (7) I got my favorite idiotic question. A family gets off at Grand Central and asks which way to get to the (S). I tell them that if they're going to Times Square it's fastest to just stay on this train, we're going there. He shakes his head no and says "but the map shows the (S) going straight to Times Square without making any extra stops" so I sigh and say "go to the end of the platform, up two levels of escalators, then down the long corridor".

This is why I never announce the (S) as a transfer when I work the (7)........

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!? :lol::lol::lol:

I bet even if you did told them that the (7) has two more stops, people STILL transfer for the IRT (S) at Grand Central just to bypass ONE EXTRA STOP???? LOL!!!

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!? :lol::lol::lol:

I bet even if you did told them that the (7) has two more stops, people STILL transfer for the IRT (S) at Grand Central just to bypass ONE EXTRA STOP???? LOL!!!

Only way I would EVER do that is if I was going specifically to somewhere on 43rd/Broadway. Otherwise, better to stay on the (7) and take that over unless there is a big-time backup on the line between GS and TS.

This has nothing to do with car equipment or train operators.. it's the ridiculous unnececssary timers and other speed restrictions they have on the tracks there, and a couple of other supervisory factors as well.

What's the point of having an Express train if the Local can get you there faster? Gotta love MTA Logic...

If you want to get there quickly then imo you're much better off cramming into the Lex line, that is my main Manhattan subway line now and I try to avoid anything else as much as possible.. you won't get a seat but at least you'll get there quicker..

The (A) is one of my favorite subway lines. I love the Liberty Avenue and Rockaway lines because they have great views. I also love the express runs on Central Park West, 8th Avenue, and Fulton Street.

Any subway line can have their flaws. Any breakdown, signal, or track worker problems can happen. The line itself isn't to blame. As long as I safely get to where I have to go without a crash nor a mash, that's all that matters.

Just remember...the purpose of express/limited service is to make FEWER stops...they never guaranteed it would be faster...just that it would make fewer stops to increase capacity on the line.

It's the herd mentality. When you have everyone demanding express service (making it nearly 'bumper to bumper' traffic) then of course the express is going to be slower than the local. I just stick with the local from the start since it's a one seat ride and I don't really mind the stop and go vs slow crawl.

This has nothing to do with car equipment or train operators.. it's the ridiculous unnececssary timers and other speed restrictions they have on the tracks there, and a couple of other supervisory factors as well.

How do you know that they are unnecessary? Are you a signal engineer?

They are slow to accelerate, but the run as fast as any other train (on a good enough stretch of track).

I know that, but tell that to the people who call them fat and slow. My post was mocking such ideas.

Invariably, the topic will be brought up again in the future.

Archived