NY Post: MTA To Increase Service On Three Crowded Subway Lines Next Year

6 Lexington Ave

Some good news!

Post: MTA To Increase Service On Three Crowded Subway Lines Next Year

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is reportedly ramping up service next year on three of its most crowded lines.

The New York Post reports the agency will boost the number of trains on the packed 1, 7 and J lines.

The 7 line will see the biggest boost with 13 more round trips each weekday.

The J line will have three more round trips on Saturdays.

The 1 line will six more round trips during off-peak hours on weekdays.

The new service will not be rolled out until next summer.

•  

http://www.ny1.com/c...lines-next-year

Here's the story from the post:

The MTA is increasing service on three subway lines — the 1, 7 and J — because riders are packing them, officials said yesterday.

The jammed 7 train got the biggest boost, with an additional 13 round trips every weekday.

The 1 train will have six more round trips during off-peak hours on weekdays.

And the J train will make three more round trips on Saturdays — its peak time for hipsters heading to and from Williamsburg’s shopping and bar scene.

The new schedules will begin in the summer, officials said.

The changes will cost the MTA an additional $2 million and are in addition to the $29 million in service investments the agency announced in July.

http://www.nypost.co...wm3l1VwAH2ZFT3K

Had a friend that moved to upper west side and I didn't believe him when he said the (1)(2) are packed at night/past midnight. Boy was I shocked!

You should see those (2) trains pulling into 96th street from uptown. Unbelievable. I thought it was all tourist related but that's not the case. You have population growth going on uptown as well as in the Bronx that the (MTA) needs to start accounting for.

Why are they forgetting the weekend service, I normally take the (J) from time to time and can honestly say the (J) is packed on the weekend and on a side not I agree with those whom say the (1) is packed past midnight or during weekend service.

I make the transfer there for the (1) to 137 and the whole time I thought my line was pretty populated at nights. But that (1) was mind-blowing.

I've tutored up in Washington Heights in the 180s there on my free time and would get on at the 191st stop to come down to the city again and the (1) starts to get crowded around 145th or so and 137th is when it really gets going with all of the college students and such getting on there.

Had a friend that moved to upper west side and I didn't believe him when he said the (1)(2) are packed at night/past midnight. Boy was I shocked!

Yep. 7th Avenue is incredibly busy at night. I actually try to avoid it by taking the CPW instead heading uptown. Either way it's going to be a heck of a commute uptown but at least chances are I'll may have more standing room in a R68 as opposed to a completely maxed out IRT car..

The (M) would help. And that means there's a ridership base on both ends of it.

I always thought the (M) should run during the weekends past Myrtle & Broadway, but still that leaves us to think what will relieve the (J) train's crowding from let's say perhaps Broadway Junction to Myrtle for example.

Where is the service increase for the (4) line (off-peak of course)? That is one CROWDED line.

blame the (5) !!!!

You should see those (2) trains pulling into 96th street from uptown. Unbelievable. I thought it was all tourist related but that's not the case. You have population growth going on uptown as well as in the Bronx that the (MTA) needs to start accounting for.

OHH DAMN

As someone who visit the 5 boros alot on weekend at least 1-2x a month i say this.

The (1)(2)(A)(J) and (7) should all have 6-8 minute headways between 12 Noon-8pm Saturdays. Period.

Saturday evenings appx. 9pm-11pm it should be every 8-10 minutes. And not every 10-12 minutes like now.

Ditto for those same lines on Sundays between 12 noon-6pm(every 6-8 minutes) and every 10-12 minutes appx. 8pm-1130pm.

Technically, wouldn't the shortened (1) and (J) lines free up some trains for this additional service on their lines? Where will they find the extra trains once full service is restored on both of them?

Concourse the service increases is for next summer (around June 2013). I am sure the Broad St terminal (J) would have reopened by then. Not sure about South Ferry (1) as it's looks like it might out as much as a year worst case IMO.

Technically, wouldn't the shortened (1) and (J) lines free up some trains for this additional service on their lines? Where will they find the extra trains once full service is restored on both of them?

My guess would be that they will use the whatever available without touching spares, since most of the additions are for non-rush hours. In long term it could affect the MDBF rates esp. of the flushing sets since the cars would be used more and have less time set for inspections and repairs.

Im still waitin for All Night Express On the A.2.4 Lines...Those are just too long to be all Local..crews gotta be quite tired after a couple roundtrips..

On the (A) the Fulton stations in Brooklyn are lightly used after 1230am so i dont think it will ever happen.

On the (4) Lex Local riders want 10 minute service overnights so doubt it will change.

On the (2) it would only work if being creative the TA extended the (3) to South Ferry as a local IMO.

West Side want 10 minute train service at height of overnights.

Just bringing up the issues.

Yep. 7th Avenue is incredibly busy at night. I actually try to avoid it by taking the CPW instead heading uptown. Either way it's going to be a heck of a commute uptown but at least chances are I'll may have more standing room in a R68 as opposed to a completely maxed out IRT car..

If it's as bad as what has been said, they need to seriously look at either adding additional (1) and/or (2) service overnights, especially late on Fridays and Saturdays (early Saturday/Sunday morning) and also possibly late Friday and Saturday have the (3) either extended to 14th or go with the (1) to South Ferry with all three lines running local. Weekends, if needed I would have some (1) s run to 137th and even perhaps have a few (2) s run there if it means more service south of 145th Street, where it appears to be needed..

As for Broadway-Brooklyn, I would now be looking to make the (M) full-time to 71st-Continental (or at least 19/7) given all the complaints about the (R) when its by itself on QB. This would benefit both Broadway-Brooklyn and Queens Boulevard and demands may dictate doing this.

Archived