NY Post: MTA To Increase Service On Three Crowded Subway Lines Next Year

6 Lexington Ave

If it's as bad as what has been said, they need to seriously look at either adding additional (1) and/or (2) service overnights, especially late on Fridays and Saturdays (early Saturday/Sunday morning) and also possibly late Friday and Saturday have the (3) either extended to 14th or go with the (1) to South Ferry with all three lines running local. Weekends, if needed I would have some (1) s run to 137th and even perhaps have a few (2) s run there if it means more service south of 145th Street, where it appears to be needed..

As for Broadway-Brooklyn, I would now be looking to make the (M) full-time to 71st-Continental (or at least 19/7) given all the complaints about the (R) when its by itself on QB. This would benefit both Broadway-Brooklyn and Queens Boulevard and demands may dictate doing this.

Wallyhorse deep into the overnight is *not the problem.* i.e 2am-5am. It's weekend and late evening 7 days a week that exploding with new riders.

The (1) needs to run the full route all the time since Washington Heights, Inwood and Riverdale are expanding w/ new residents. Plus if the (3) ran all night to South Ferry, then the (2) should be running express in Manhattan 24/7 including overnights.

Wallyhorse deep into the overnight is *not the problem.* i.e 2am-5am. It's weekend and late evening 7 days a week that exploding with new riders.

The (1) needs to run the full route all the time since Washington Heights, Inwood and Riverdale are expanding w/ new residents. Plus if the (3) ran all night to South Ferry, then the (2) should be running express in Manhattan 24/7 including overnights.

True but I would simply add more (1) service so the (2) can be 24/7 express (A) is easy actually with 3 methods

Method 1: Extend Lefferts shuttle to hoyt st and reactivate that platform that is abandoned

OR

Eliminate (A) lefferts shuttle make (A) 24/7 express south of 59th street manhattan and let (E) be manhattan local extend late night (E) to coney island via culver line and reroute night (F) to lefferts making local stops. OR Extend (G) to coney island at night add more cars and reroute (F) to lefferts via fulton local.

OR the asshat way of screwing over local riders making a late night shuttle bus making all local (C) stops from broadway jct to downtown brooklyn then to WTC. (A) express 24/7 I think the last way would be the least popular.

(4) can be done extend late night (5) to brooklyn bridge via lex local then (4) can be 24/7 express.

The only way to turn back trains at Hoyt is the Transit Museum. And I don't think the switches are that far from the museum.

Still going on about that? What's the gain by extending the (E) in place of the (F) and rerouting the (F) just to replace the Lefferts (S) at night? Late at night express service isn't in high demand. The (A) would skip 2 stops b.w 59th and Chambers, what's the savings of that?

The only place that has regular express is QB on the (F) probably because of its length. ( (D) on 6th av because it's pointless to switch it over to the local to serve 2 stops.)

Basically, why are you over complicating everything just to extend (A) express service for areas that don't even need it?

I deeply like this because the (2) is the longest IRT A Division line in the system and has one of the highest riderships, giving WPR and EP local riders direct West Side Manhattan access. I can also compared it with the (A), the longest IND B Division line.

A longer line isn't a reason to run it express.

I'm sorry, I was suppose to say that the (2) and (A) are there to serve, equalize and share the total amount of ridership. Though the (A) is packed to the brim in Brooklyn heading to/from Manhattan mostly at rush hour. So I assumed that Ozone Park/Rockaway/Howard Beach/East New York residents need a faster commute to Downtown Brooklyn and/or Lower/Midtown/Upper Manhattan. The (2) I can understand since it counters three-four other subway lines ( (1) in Manhattan and (4)(5) on Eastern Parkaway) and interacts with the (5) through most of its run in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

True but I would simply add more (1) service so the (2) can be 24/7 express (A) is easy actually with 3 methods

Method 1: Extend Lefferts shuttle to hoyt st and reactivate that platform that is abandoned

OR

Eliminate (A) lefferts shuttle make (A) 24/7 express south of 59th street manhattan and let (E) be manhattan local extend late night (E) to coney island via culver line and reroute night (F) to lefferts making local stops. OR Extend (G) to coney island at night add more cars and reroute (F) to lefferts via fulton local.

OR the asshat way of screwing over local riders making a late night shuttle bus making all local (C) stops from broadway jct to downtown brooklyn then to WTC. (A) express 24/7 I think the last way would be the least popular.

(4) can be done extend late night (5) to brooklyn bridge via lex local then (4) can be 24/7 express.

I give up QJ :o . Even giving facepalms for you dont make you see the light. The only one of those proposals that makes sense is running the (5) Local to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall overnights.

You realize even overnights if you switch the (A)(E)(F)(G) at Jay St. it would create a conga line.

QJ claims he a wizard when he does take into account track assignments. Thankfully he will only plan for mass transit here on the boards.

OR

Just run the (C) overnight to Lefferts, much easier than rerouting lines.

Run the (5) express all night and keep the (4) local, that's what the MTA does during most late night GOs anyway.

Run the (5) express all night and keep the (4) local, that's what the MTA does during most late night GOs anyway.

That can work too I was making a suggestion to avoid making (C) run fully overnights though. Or maybe shortturn (C) at 59th street in manhattan of via transit museum like grand concourse suggested.

I give up QJ :o . Even giving facepalms for you dont make you see the light. The only one of those proposals that makes sense is running the (5) Local to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall overnights.

You realize even overnights if you switch the (A)(E)(F)(G) at Jay St. it would create a conga line.

QJ claims he a wizard when he does take into account track assignments. Thankfully he will only plan for mass transit here on the boards.

:lol: ARE YOU SURE THAT WILL HOLD TRUE FOR LONG? I don't think so in a few years that will change if I actually care but money is more important so I will go after the money if what you say is true it's cause I went after money that is all.

QJ, why screw up the (A)(E)(F)(G) like you suggested.......?

What point of OR did you not understand?

The only way to turn back trains at Hoyt is the Transit Museum. And I don't think the switches are that far from the museum.

Still going on about that? What's the gain by extending the (E) in place of the (F) and rerouting the (F) just to replace the Lefferts (S) at night? Late at night express service isn't in high demand. The (A) would skip 2 stops b.w 59th and Chambers, what's the savings of that?

The only place that has regular express is QB on the (F) probably because of its length. ( (D) on 6th av because it's pointless to switch it over to the local to serve 2 stops.)

Basically, why are you over complicating everything just to extend (A) express service for areas that don't even need it?

Since when was I going on about the (E)?? But you have a point the (C) could try that. I know in manhattan it isn't much of a time saver it was to remove duplication in a sense I see what you are saying though. I said OR so yeah one of the options leaves other lines alone and only involves the (A) and (S). I think you read more carefully than others.

I'm not the one making these 'far out proposals'. And you made the same post in the B25 thread, so point stands. All that just to avoid running the (C) makes no sense and that area of the (A) line does not need both local and express service running late at night. How about just leaving things alone?

Lol, yeah right as if anyone that doesn't 'get' your inane plans needs to read carefully.... All I see is another wallyhorse obsessed about sending trains all over the place because of what the track maps shows.

As someone who visit the 5 boros alot on weekend at least 1-2x a month i say this.

The (1)(2)(A)(J) and (7) should all have 6-8 minute headways between 12 Noon-8pm Saturdays. Period.

Saturday evenings appx. 9pm-11pm it should be every 8-10 minutes. And not every 10-12 minutes like now.

Ditto for those same lines on Sundays between 12 noon-6pm(every 6-8 minutes) and every 10-12 minutes appx. 8pm-1130pm.

Very nice idea, but don't forget that, due to very common GO's, weekend frequencies on the 7th Avenue line are capped where they are now. The only way to increase 1 or 2 service is to decrease 3 service, and the 3 already has 12 minute headways.

Technically, wouldn't the shortened (1) and (J) lines free up some trains for this additional service on their lines? Where will they find the extra trains once full service is restored on both of them?

The 1 isn't any shorter than it was before. It runs to South Ferry loop rather than South Ferry terminal, but the distance is about the same. And the J never runs past Chambers on weekends.

But since all of these changes are off-peak, there are plenty of trains available.

Im still waitin for All Night Express On the A.2.4 Lines...Those are just too long to be all Local..crews gotta be quite tired after a couple roundtrips..

Subway service is operated for the good of the riders, not for the convenience of the crews.

If it's as bad as what has been said, they need to seriously look at either adding additional (1) and/or (2) service overnights, especially late on Fridays and Saturdays (early Saturday/Sunday morning) and also possibly late Friday and Saturday have the (3) either extended to 14th or go with the (1) to South Ferry with all three lines running local. Weekends, if needed I would have some (1) s run to 137th and even perhaps have a few (2) s run there if it means more service south of 145th Street, where it appears to be needed..

Unnecessary.

As for Broadway-Brooklyn, I would now be looking to make the (M) full-time to 71st-Continental (or at least 19/7) given all the complaints about the (R) when its by itself on QB. This would benefit both Broadway-Brooklyn and Queens Boulevard and demands may dictate doing this.

Three major interlocking projects are about to begin on Queens Blvd. There are going to be GO's almost every weekend. Maintaining four services during those GO's will be impossible, so the M will be cut back to a shuttle. Why pay to operate a service that can't operate?

(Even without the interlocking projects, GO's are common. Remember when the G ran on Queens Blvd. on paper but was almost always cut back?)

Besides, the Queens Blvd. line doesn't need four services on weekends.

It's a shame that the (6) wasn't added into this mix because it really, REALLY needs more service, especially on the weekends.

No way to add 6 service without cutting 4 or 5 service.

Do overnight Fulton St. loads warrant 6 tph? Do overnight Lex loads warrant 9 tph? I don't think so.

Very nice idea, but don't forget that, due to very common GO's, weekend frequencies on the 7th Avenue line are capped where they are now. The only way to increase 1 or 2 service is to decrease 3 service, and the 3 already has 12 minute headways.

The 1 isn't any shorter than it was before. It runs to South Ferry loop rather than South Ferry terminal, but the distance is about the same. And the J never runs past Chambers on weekends.

But since all of these changes are off-peak, there are plenty of trains available.

Subway service is operated for the good of the riders, not for the convenience of the crews.

Unnecessary.

Three major interlocking projects are about to begin on Queens Blvd. There are going to be GO's almost every weekend. Maintaining four services during those GO's will be impossible, so the M will be cut back to a shuttle. Why pay to operate a service that can't operate?

(Even without the interlocking projects, GO's are common. Remember when the G ran on Queens Blvd. on paper but was almost always cut back?)

Besides, the Queens Blvd. line doesn't need four services on weekends.

No way to add 6 service without cutting 4 or 5 service.

Do overnight Fulton St. loads warrant 6 tph? Do overnight Lex loads warrant 9 tph? I don't think so.

Interesting you have a point sometimes (A) is so unreliable it goes express at night happened before. But I think shortline is right about extending (C) and (A) to 1 am. That would be easier and make express service start up again at 5 am or 4:30 am. Plus I say extending (5) overnights can help the (4) go 24/7 express.

The only way you could remove the (S) Lefferts Boulevard Shuttle switching at Euclid Avenue on the IND Fulton Street Line WITHOUT rerouting the (E) or (F) is to simply make the (A) run every 15 minutes overnight with full-time service on the Lefferts Boulevard branch (30 minutes for the Far Rock and Lefferts branches). But that won't do of course...

Or run the (A) overnight with 40 minute headways to both Lefferts and Far Rockaway. MTA did this with the overnight Bx55 when service was split between 149 St (2) and 161 St (4)(D).

Ok, waiting for a bus is different than waiting for a subway. Do you really think 40 minute headways to two separate branches on the (A) overnight would really work?

Ok, waiting for a bus is different than waiting for a subway. Do you really think 40 minute headways to two separate branches on the (A) overnight would really work?

Bx55 was the 8 train replacement bus, it was supposed to have 20 minute headways like the Third Avenue Elevated did, yet MTA got away with cutting late night 3 Av service to the Hub in 1973.

The (A) does have some periods of 30 minute headways at both Lefferts and Far Rockaway.

It will create a RIOT.

Bright side is Lefferts branch riders would get back owl aka all night train service.

you really think people are that patient err HELL NO!!!

Or run the (A) overnight with 40 minute headways to both Lefferts and Far Rockaway. MTA did this with the overnight Bx55 when service was split between 149 St (2) and 161 St (4)(D).

1TPH on ANY PORTION of ANY LINE at ANY TIME is beyond unacceptable and the BX55 is a BUS...Trains are different...they carry more people. Lefferts Branch service is fine the way it is.

Archived