Speed Limiters

MHV9218

What's the story with these things? I've heard a lot of times that NYCT buses are capped at 40mph, but I keep seeing more and more buses with no limiter -- RTSes, OGs, NGs (take 3922 on the M98 today, driver had a lead foot, got to 57mph on the Harlem, fastest I've ever seen a local bus move). Not just 40-footers either, plenty of the new LFSAs will do well over 50, especially 126's batch. But then again, a lot of Quill's artics have limiters. So is this just random what buses get a limiter or not, or is there some sort of reason behind this?

For Example...there are some XD40s that have limiters...like the 4870s...4880s...but 4894 and 4897 was moving with an express bus on the verrazano...i can tell the speed they go...from looking how the move past the poles on the lower level...

i think the driver can disable it...

the orion Vs i know they dont have limiters...those ZF LFS do...but not the allison ones..and the 3Gs...idk...

Ah, I knew there was a word for it, limiter sounded like pre-school to me, that's what it is. Surprised that they leave it random, guess I'll have to ask around next time I'm at Manhattanville (although there aren't many MHV routes where a limiter even applies).

Pretty much 40-45 for a local bus and about 60 for an express bus. There are quite a few that slipped through the cracks (not giving out numbers), but here's the highest speeds I observed on them

(NOTE: the governor may have been lowered or the bus itself was retired so don't go assuming they all can do it)

RTS: 62

Orion V diesel: 55

Orion V CNG: 65

LFS: 57

MCI: 72

LFSA: 64

Orion VII CNG: 50

C40LF (old): 68

C40LF (new): 50

It's called a "governor", not limiter.

And yes, the mechanics are the ones who govern the set speed via computer. For example: I had an LFSA that did ........... the A shuttle. Sweet.

MTA do read this forum, are you sue you want this attention ?

Yes all buses are governed to certain speeds by the computer depending on what routes the bus will be used on. Usually to be used on local streets are capped at 45mph while buses that go on the highway are suppose to be capped at 55mph. But with buses being swapped from depot to depot, buses being used on different routes, and transmissions being swapped out its hard to keep up with what bus should be governed at what speed. This is why no one keeps up with it anymore unless there is a "no power" complaint put onto the drivers OVCR cards.

Blitz - a "no power" complaint could mean extremely slow pick-up, correct? I usually don't want to write anything on the OVCR card because you don't want to red flag yourself, but I've been looking to write-up a few buses that seriously have no type of power whatsoever, and I believe it may be related to safety too because if you have to merge in with traffic from a bus stop, and crush loaded, the bus takes it time getting into the lane... I can't win. lol The idea is the merge in safely matching the speed of moving traffic.

For Example...there are some XD40s that have limiters...like the 4870s...4880s...but 4894 and 4897 was moving with an express bus on the verrazano...i can tell the speed they go...from looking how the move past the poles on the lower level...

i think the driver can disable it...

the orion Vs i know they dont have limiters...those ZF LFS do...but not the allison ones..and the 3Gs...idk...

The drivers cant disable anything, there is a quick trick though. But drivers cant disable anything..... Some buses aren't capped because either when the mechanics test drive it they forget to cap it again, 2. The bus was never capped or 3. The computer over ridded the governor ....

Are all the buses governed by computer? Because doesn't that mean the speed is changable whenever they want?

Yeah they plug a wire in on the bus and put the governor on.

Blitz - a "no power" complaint could mean extremely slow pick-up, correct? I usually don't want to write anything on the OVCR card because you don't want to red flag yourself, but I've been looking to write-up a few buses that seriously have no type of power whatsoever, and I believe it may be related to safety too because if you have to merge in with traffic from a bus stop, and crush loaded, the bus takes it time getting into the lane... I can't win. lol The idea is the merge in safely matching the speed of moving traffic.

If it accelerates slowly but still gets up to normal speeds, they probably won't do anything about it. But if the bus can't get up to normal driving speeds, or struggles to get up hills, you can definitively write it up for "no power".

While were on the subject of acceleration, would anyone be able to give an answer as to why some buses struggle accelerating in 1st (1-5 mph) then kick into normal speed when they hit 2nd. Could it be more than transmission problems?

While were on the subject of acceleration, would anyone be able to give an answer as to why some buses struggle accelerating in 1st (1-5 mph) then kick into normal speed when they hit 2nd. Could it be more than transmission problems?

Can you be a little specific on which bus?

Hybrids are tuned down to avoid on board injurys.

It could be a turbo on its way out. I remember during the summer 5477 would drag until you heard the turbo spool up then it would be pretty damn quick...I had that same bus a couple weeks ago and they seem to have fixed it being that as soon as you push on the accelerator you can hear her whistling instantly.

Can you be a little specific on which bus?

Hybrids are tuned down to avoid on board injurys.

Alright, makes sense.

It could be a turbo on its way out. I remember during the summer 5477 would drag until you heard the turbo spool up then it would be pretty damn quick...I had that same bus a couple weeks ago and they seem to have fixed it being that as soon as you push on the accelerator you can hear her whistling instantly.

Ok. Thanks for a more detailed explanation.

It's called a "governor", not limiter.

And yes, the mechanics are the ones who govern the set speed via computer. For example: I had an LFSA that did 65+ yesterday on the A shuttle. Sweet.

Wow that must of been fun. 60 mph in an artic bus is a very interesting experience.

All the C40LF at CP do not go over say 40mph....might of been one when we first got em....but they got that one and I creep down I 678...I always worry about a big rig hitting me from behind.....can't stay in the far right lane all the time....need to merge over to the center lane to get onto the Whitestone Expwy.......

All the C40LF at CP do not go over say 40mph....might of been one when we first got em....but they got that one and I creep down I 678...I always worry about a big rig hitting me from behind.....can't stay in the far right lane all the time....need to merge over to the center lane to get onto the Whitestone Expwy.......

Had they came with no governor and no retarder, those mofos would be flying at 70+ easily.

Had they came with no governor and no retarder, those mofos would be flying at 70+ easily.

Not sure about the hybrids because I haven't messed eight them yet but, the express buses will do 96mph with no governor, the Orion v and RTS will do 78mph, and the D60 will do 65mph

Archived