Major driver shortage at NICE? Job action? WTF happened today?

PinePower

nice/Veolioa pays in the same ballpark starting out as MTA LIB, which is a lot more than other Calss B jobs in the area are starting to pay.

That's not going to happen, please, do we have to say this in every thread?

That's the first thing I suspected today when I first heard of buses being late, traffic. Of course Pine power jumps to a driver shortage. Guess what it's going to bad today too, it's called traffic. It's going to get worse and worse everyday all the up to the last week before christmas. It happened with LIB too, you just didn't have Pine Power on here blowing up the situation saying it's a drivers shortage (info I can only assume he pulled out of his rear). Nobody noticed this last year, because MTA LIB had, well, other problems with no buses and drivers taking off.

Actually I'm friends with several senior drivers at NICE and retired who told me there is a shortage, so it's not made up. Despite being Black Friday I saw less delays this evening than Wednsday. It could have been worse earlier. I still think something was up Wednsday, too many buses missing just from traffic. We'll never know, unless NICE installs something like Bustime... B-)

Actually I'm friends with several senior drivers at NICE and retired who told me there is a shortage, so it's not made up. Despite being Black Friday I saw less delays this evening than Wednsday. It could have been worse earlier. I still think something was up Wednsday, too many buses missing just from traffic. We'll never know, unless NICE installs something like Bustime... B-)

NICE put out a procurement a while ago for the equipment to do that. I wonder what happened to it.

they will eventually

So they magically cured the driver shortage in a couple days (thanksgiving being one of the days)? Or traffic wasn't as bad on Black Friday as it was the day before Thanksgiving?

When you hear driver shortage, actually I'll say needs more drivers because I have no idea if it's an actually a "shortage" or not. When you hear this you jump way to the left thinking that nice sucks and for whatever reason people are jumping ship left and right. In reality what is going on is that nice needs more drivers than the MTA did. MTA filled the void by offering lots of costly overtime being that we know Veolia doesn't like nice drivers going over 40 hours nice needs more drivers to fill the void.

NICE put out a procurement a while ago for the equipment to do that. I wonder what happened to it.

I was very excited with I read this request on the nice website thinking they would use it for bustime, but they probably won't. Most school buses have gps similar to it, management & operations at bus time will have a real understanding what is going on with the buses.

In fact, they're starting it already. They're putting GPS on Able-Ride for a similar system.

Good good, hopefully they can see exactly what's going on with these able ride buses. I hear of people waiting for these buses but I see these buses sitting in lots, maybe nice will see exactly what's going on.

When you hear driver shortage, actually I'll say needs more drivers because I have no idea if it's an actually a "shortage" or not. When you hear this you jump way to the left thinking that nice sucks and for whatever reason people are jumping ship left and right. In reality what is going on is that nice needs more drivers than the MTA did. MTA filled the void by offering lots of costly overtime being that we know Veolia doesn't like nice drivers going over 40 hours nice needs more drivers to fill the void.

Are you implying that a private company ( Veolia) would rather hire more workers than have the existing B/Os work overtime? Unless the newer B/Os are paid much less in salary and benefits this wouldn't make any financial sense would it ? Perhaps that would have something to do with the reliability of the bus service in Nassau these days. I don't utilize the service and I'm only asking these questions after reading this forum. I haven't formed an opinion, pro or con, but I do believe that you only get what you paid for. I know the county has a budget problem but the voters and ridership better look in the mirror before blaming Veolia or the (MTA). They, the majority, voted for these people who left them holding the bag. Carry on.

Are you implying that a private company ( Veolia) would rather hire more workers than have the existing B/Os work overtime? Unless the newer B/Os are paid much less in salary and benefits this wouldn't make any financial sense would it ? Perhaps that would have something to do with the reliability of the bus service in Nassau these days. I don't utilize the service and I'm only asking these questions after reading this forum. I haven't formed an opinion, pro or con, but I do believe that you only get what you paid for. I know the county has a budget problem but the voters and ridership better look in the mirror before blaming Veolia or the (MTA). They, the majority, voted for these people who left them holding the bag. Carry on.

I'm not sure what's so weird about the way Veolia does this? I know various people who work for transit throughout a few countries and I've never heard of any transit company letting to seniors overtime. They all get the same and all work the same. So what is weird about it then? Is it only weird because the (MTA) prefers to do it different then others?

I got on 12:50 n32 Hempstead #1723 boarded at Seagirt Blvd/Crest St, then got broke down at Broadway/Johnson Place with estimate 40 people were on it and next one we got on #1556 on 13:30 n32 Hempstead departed 15:59 and had driver changed at Lynbrook Station, which causes our 13:30 arrival at HTC were 14:28, and end up arriving 14:43 (Crushloaded)

I'm at Hempstead Library going to 15:15pm n70 to MTA Public Hearing.

I wish the buses would shut down for awhile so all the clueless pricks realize the county wont function without bus service. Have fun waiting on long lines and watching all your stores close because the workers cant get to work.

I'm not sure what's so weird about the way Veolia does this? I know various people who work for transit throughout a few countries and I've never heard of any transit company letting to seniors overtime. They all get the same and all work the same. So what is weird about it then? Is it only weird because the (MTA) prefers to do it different then others?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's usually cheaper in the long run to use existing employees on overtime rather rhan hiring new employees. The way you describe it appears that the company would end up paying salaries and benefits for 2 B/Os instead of an overtime salary and no increase in benefits for one B/O. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

I have no idea what the benefits cost the county, as far as pay... Let's say a driver under the MTA had 4 drivers cover work @ 50 hours. $27x40=$1080.00(base) $27x1.5(time and a half)=$40.50x10=$405.00(over time). $1080.00(base)+$405(overtime) =$1485.00. x4 (senior drivers and of course the senior drivers are picking runs with the most over time) = $5940.00.

Now if Veolia has the same 4 senior drivers cover a 40 hour week and hires one new driver at $16/h to cover the 40 hours in overtime these drivers would've done in the MTA to cover the work, nice's cost is $4960.00 for the same work. It might not seem like much but think this is for 4/5 drivers covering 80hours of work in a week. Now think how many drivers and hours of work available, big savings! The situation I presented was only cutting overtime for 4 drivers and hiring one driver and it was whopping savings of $50,960 a year!

I have no idea what the benefits cost the county, as far as pay... Let's say a driver under the MTA had 4 drivers cover work @ 50 hours. $27x40=$1080.00(base) $27x1.5(time and a half)=$40.50x10=$405.00(over time). $1080.00(base)+$405(overtime) =$1485.00. x4 (senior drivers and of course the senior drivers are picking runs with the most over time) = $5940.00.

Now if Veolia has the same 4 senior drivers cover a 40 hour week and hires one new driver at $16/h to cover the 40 hours in overtime these drivers would've done in the MTA to cover the work, nice's cost is $4960.00 for the same work. It might not seem like much but think this is for 4/5 drivers covering 80hours of work in a week. Now think how many drivers and hours of work available, big savings! The situation I presented was only cutting overtime for 4 drivers and hiring one driver and it was whopping savings of $50,960 a year!

I think I see your point but my question remains the same. In your scenario you have 4 B/Os with salary and benefits and you've added another B/O to stop the first 4 from getting OT. Does the 5th B/O get any benefits, beside salary, from Veolia or Nassau county? Is the 5th B/O a part time worker who is not entitled to benefits from the county or NICE ?

Yes as far as I understand 5th gets B/O gets full time, 40 hours & full benefits (medical, dental, vision) through Veolia after a probation period.... I don't know what the benefits cost Veolia but I have to assume it's cheaper than keeping overtime the way it was, that's why they do it that way.

Yes as far as I understand 5th gets B/O gets full time, 40 hours & full benefits (medical, dental, vision) through Veolia after a probation period.... I don't know what the benefits cost Veolia but I have to assume it's cheaper than keeping overtime the way it was, that's why they do it that way.

The reason I worded my question the way I did is because in today's economy many companies and civil service outfits want their current workers to work overtime rather than hire a new employee. They figure the cost of benefits for a new employee are more than the OT salary costs of current workers in the long run. This has been one of the main talking points on the financial pages and cable networks for the past 3 years. What NICE appears to be doing,according to you and a few others in this thread, is the opposite course of action from what the economists say is the new trend in business. That's the reason for the proliferation of part time jobs and unpaid internships across the US these days. People are hired in retail, manufacturing,service and other fields with little or no benefits under the mantra "do more with less" and are considered independent contractors while the existing senior people work longer hours. If your NICE comments are correct I wonder who is on the hook for these current and future benefits, Veolia, the county, the unions, or some combination of them all. I'm curious, that's all. Carry on.

Archived