School Express 4 Train?

YankeesPwnMets

During my high school reunion, I took the 4 back up to Bedford Park at 8AM in the morning and took it back at 3 just like I did so long ago. Taking the 4 train to and from my HS made me feel very nostalgic but I also couldn't help to notice the insane amount of students, not just from Bronx Science but from a ton of other schools that have been built in the neighborhood. I did a bit of research and between 3 stops on the (4) line (Mosholu, Bedford Pk and Kingsbridge), there are 5 different high schools. Mind you, the countless elementary/middle schools aren't included

Discovery High School - 529 Students

Celia Cruz High School - 428 Students

American Studies @ Lehman: 377 Students

Bronx High School of Science: 3033 Students

DeWitt Clinton High School: 4159 Students

Total: 8526 + more younger students from elementary/middle school

I mean, you're having 8500+ kids taking the 4 train, all having schools within close proximity with one another. My idea is to have select express 4 trains via Jerome Exp between ~7-8AM and ~2:30-4PM each school day to shuttle these thousands of kids to and from school quicker. Hopefully, this will alleviate the insane crowding during school hours and being able to get kids to school and home quicker would be a nice benefit for the students. What do you guys think?

Well, first you have to consider that while most students take the subway, there are still a lot who take the bus (as well as those who walk, though I doubt that makes up a large percentage of those last 3 schools). Plus, some might go over to the Concourse Line for whatever reason.

Second of all, some of the kids could be going to the stops bypassed by the express train (which you haven't clarified where the trains would run express. You could have them go express north of Burnside, north of 167th Street, north of 149th Street, or go express all the way to 125th Street (see the track map)

Third of all, what about all the high school students at the local stops? A while back, they had a pilot program with a (4) express, and one of the problems was that it skipped well-used stops like Fordham Road. If you're serving HS students on the northern end, but bypassing those on the southern end of Jerome Avenue and making the local trains more crowded, you haven't really solved many problems.

this is a half bad half good ideas.

Good ideas

to separate the kids from the normal commuters.

to save few minutes

Bad ideas

where the kid get on and off?

will they defaced the (MTA) property?(not pointing any finger here or accusing anyone)

is it worth the money for certain distance?

When i was in high school most of the stop are all local stop. 86 Street (R) home, 9 Street/4 Ave (R)(F) transfer point and 15 Street Prospect Park (F) school stop. Would that be fair for me if those other high school students get the preference of express?

Sorry but it makes no sense. The (D) line passes by multiple schools on the West End Line for example. It doesn't mean a special (D) would be used for it. Same goes with the (J) on the Jamaica Line. Doing so would be stupid. We would have delays for normal trains, and passengers. It is also expensive. If people want a more easier trip there is something that has been invented and has been around for a long time. It's called a School Bus. Let me repeated it again "SCHOOL BUS." So there is no need for this.

Archived