(J)/(Z) Express Question

mtattrain

Sorry if posted before but I was wondering how (J) and (Z) trains are able to reach higher speeds than other express trains on the Jamaica El. Does anyone know why?

What do you mean by "other express trains"? The (J) and (Z) are the only express trains there...

What do you mean by "other express trains"? The (J) and (Z) are the only express trains there...

mtattrain is probably referring to other express runs in the system and he just worded his post poorly.

I don't know the answer myself. It is interesting how one of the nicer express runs around is also one of the shortest.

I'll take a stab at it. Assuming you mean't other express runs in the system, I don't think there are any timers on the express track between Marcy and Myrtle Aves..which allows higher speeds. The 6th Ave express between W4th and 34th gets some pretty good speed though as well. Other express segments used to be pretty fast but after the Williamsburg Bridge Wreck, the timer installation spree the MTA went on afterwards slowed down a lot areas in the system.

The reason it's fast is because of the downgrades in both directions. When trains are bound for queens, there is a downgrade from Hewes to Lorimer street and an upgrade from there to Myrtle av before hitting the 40 mph timer outside of Myrtle. When trains are heading to Manhattan there is a downgrade from Myrtle to Lorimer street and then an upgrade from there to Marcy av. Trains start to sow down at lorimer street because of the curve ahead and timers.

This is why trains are fast on that small express stretch. There are downgrades in both directions for a couple of stations.

Archived