RIP to "Dallas" and I Dream of Jeannie" Star Larry Hagman

Shortline Bus

hagman24n-2-web.jpg

"Larry Hagman, who television viewers loved to hate as greedy, scheming J.R. Ewing in the hit show “Dallas,” died Friday in the city of the same name. He was 81.

The cause of death was complications from cancer, the Dallas Morning News reported.

“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, reenacting the iconic role he loved most,” his family said in a statement cited by the newspaper.

“Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for.

Friends and fellow actors Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy — who portrayed J.R.’s wife, Sue Ellen, and brother, Bobby, in the show — were at his bedside when he died, The Sun reported.

“They had been friends for 35 years, and they had worked together for many years, so obviously it is devastating,” Gray’s agent, Jeffrey Lane, told the paper.

Hagman’s dastardly iconic character made him part of TV history. On Nov. 21, 1980, more than 350 million viewers in 57 countries tuned into find out the answer to the question “Who shot J.R.?”

The episode garnered some of the highest ratings in television history, and the phrase came to connote the ultimate showbiz cliffhanger.

The beloved show ran for 13 seasons, beginning in 1978.

Ironically, Texas native Hagman began his long career in Hollywood by playing a character completely contrary to the “Dallas” villain. In 1965, Hagman portrayed friendly astronaut and dreamboat Maj. Tony Nelson in “I Dream of Jeannie.”

But it was as J.R., the corrupt and merciless Texas millionaire, that he entered television immortality. The character he so relished playing came to be closely associated with the spirit of the Lone Star state."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...5#ixzz2DAsSmWiq

I was too young in early 1980's to understand the plots of Dallas. However I did enjoy in re-runs later on. Plus My Mom was a big fan of "Dallas" and had a big crush on him. Back in day, when taleneted 'real' actors ruled tv. And not the crappy reality stars *cough cough* Kim K. now on tv. RIP Larry Hagman. :(

I was too young in early 1980's to understand the plots of Dallas. However I did enjoy in re-runs later on. Plus My Mom was a big fan of "Dallas" and had a big crush on him. Back in day, when taleneted 'real' actors ruled tv. And not the crappy reality stars *cough cough* Kim K. now on tv. RIP Larry Hagman. :(

Man I liked watching actors from back in the day more then what we have now (there are some good actors today, but that's just it some).

This was one of those shows that had everyone watching when it was on the air. Larry Hagman did a great job playing the part of J.R. and obviously enjoyed playing the role.

What "Dallas" did was it created competition for the other networks to produce similar shows and one that comes to mind that also had high ratings for a time was "Dynasty" with John Forsythe. I remember the legendary Mad Magazine doing one of their famous spoofs of that show titled "Die Nasty" which I think "Dynasty" eventually did. I think that the magazine did one on "Dallas" but I do not remember seeing that issue.

This was one of those shows that had everyone watching when it was on the air. Larry Hagman did a great job playing the part of J.R. and obviously enjoyed playing the role.

What "Dallas" did was it created competition for the other networks to produce similar shows and one that comes to mind that also had high ratings for a time was "Dynasty" with John Forsythe. I remember the legendary Mad Magazine doing one of their famous spoofs of that show titled "Die Nasty" which I think "Dynasty" eventually did. I think that the magazine did one on "Dallas" but I do not remember seeing that issue.

For the 80's and early '90's you had several major hit "nightime" soap opeara from "Dallas" to Dynasty" and later a teen/young adult ones with the oringal "Beverly Hills 90210" series. Now just like most of scripted tv shows, nighttime soaps are an almost extinct breed like westerns.

Archived