Why does politics & racial issues always in threads lead to FLAME WARS?

Shortline Bus

Guys. Just wondering what does politics and race issues come up in almost every off topic thread? Please this is not meant to be a flame war or bring up anyone in particuarly but this is a long time problem.

Are you that bored of topics that it always goes off in another direction to race and politics? No penalties/infractions (unless of course you insult someone who speak 'honestly" here) but want a true reply and even help stop arguments on the boards. Thanks

I agree with Shortline's point of view. The Off-Topic Lounge is meant as a civil discussion board for things other than transit. If it were just about race and politics, it would be called the Race and Politics Lounge. And even in the main MTA boards, this BS comes up. Certain people don't know when they need to keep their personal views out of the conversation and stay on the damn topic of the thread. Not only is it boring, it's annoying and spam like.

Let me site an example:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/37731-brooklyn-7-eleven-employees-strip-and-beat-suspected-shoplifter/

It goes good for the first few posts, and then the thread gets hijacked.

That's my rant on the matter.

If it's relevant, it's discussed. Just because you don't personally agree with what's being said doesn't make it irrelevant.

No, it's not a matter of agreeing with it here. If the thread title doesn't mention politics, then politics shouldn't be discussed there. If it's relevant to the thread, even if I disagree with you, I won't dismiss it as irrelevant, and I think most people would do the same.

Good, then don't make posts like that. Forcing your beliefs upon everyone else? Silly.

Joe that what i am talking about. You entitled to your views and i dont think you ever being censored. The whole point is why does race and politics always come up even on topics not related to it? That why for instance i created a poltical discussion thread and will do so again if meant getting topics on point. Wanted to hear what you guys think. Again please guys keep this civil thank you.

If its relevant to the discussion then its going to come up, for example in the Twinkie thread, the shutdown of Hostess was due to a union disagreement, so youre going to get people on both sides, pro union and anti union discussing the cause of the shutdown.

As if politics and race are the only things that are discussed passionately on here, take a look at the mac vs pc arguements and which subway car type do people like best.

If its relevant to the discussion then its going to come up, for example in the Twinkie thread, the shutdown of Hostess was due to a union disagreement, so youre going to get people on both sides, pro union and anti union discussing the cause of the shutdown.

As if politics and race are the only things that are discussed passionately on here, take a look at the mac vs pc arguements and which subway car type do people like best.

Those two combined don't come up to the amount of times people come in with politics and race. If it's relevant to the thread, it'd be clear.

But you'll find that the political and racial debates often entail a lot of personal insults, while debating over a preferred technology do not.

Well I guess most of these threads go off topic is because of a failure to compare similar stories or thoughts "correctly", as this then turns into pro and anti (x problem) debates for some reason, throwing off the point of the thread, which confuses people and the riff raff goes on. My opinion on it.

I hope everyone realizes that this thread is no different than other threads and will have the same result the end, arguments.

Brett at least hopefully the guys can prove us wrong and find a cause to this? At least if we not open to it, threads will still have to be closed many of them excellent topics unless we find out what the guys are thinking. Also this as a way to improve the threads and what important to them especially in off topic without the drama. Of course race and politics is a huge part of our lives but my concern is why is it in many threads that have not to do with it.

If this chat gets out of hand of course shut this down as well.

But you'll find that the political and racial debates often entail a lot of personal insults, while debating over a preferred technology do not.

Ive been called plenty of nasty names here before for stating my preference for the iphone vs android and my preference for mac computers over PC.

Guys. Just wondering what does politics and race issues come up in almost every off topic thread? Please this is not meant to be a flame war or bring up anyone in particuarly but this is a long time problem.

My take on this is that people should definitely be allowed to express their humanistic beliefs. It's our fundamental human right to do so. But that's in a perfect world. In reality what happens is simply that either a person becomes offended at another over words from another member for whatever reason, or that person may come up with something that is contrary to the popular culture of a given social medium, like a message board or something more prominent like Facebook or Twitter. Then the hijacking of threads and the personal attacks start. Which of course ends up in a flame war leading to yet another locked thread. People offending others? Because generally some people must feel that everyone must agree with them, no matter what.

That's why this happens Shortline Bus as to hot topic discussion which are not even exclusive to politics and race. We are seeing people flaming each other over fantasy train routes, mock proposals and imagined car assignments even which is silly. That says alot about things here at this moment.

Ive been called plenty of nasty names here before for stating my preference for the iphone vs android and my preference for mac computers over PC.

Didn't know that - guess that was a bad comparison.

The point about favorite subway cars stands, though - I've seen a few insults thrown around but nothing compared to what I can find just by reading 5 posts in a political thread - and no, foamer is not a good insult, my little brother can do better than that.

Archived