Why does politics & racial issues always in threads lead to FLAME WARS?

Shortline Bus

Joe hit the nail on the head here. Forums provide a place for discussion, and whenever political and racial issue are relevant, they're discussed. We don't have to shy away from those discussions -- to be frank, I think some of most interesting discussions that we can have are racial and political discussions. This forum is an incredibly diverse place socioeconomically, racially, and politically. We've all got opinions from different places and different lives, and expressing them is the reason we go on here. If I wanted to listen to myself think, I'd sit by myself all day, but a forum like this with other people and other opinions enriches the discussion and diversifies the viewpoints. No need to be afraid of "big issues" -- topics with gravity are the most interesting to talk about, both in life, and here.

It's not necessarily race and politics all the time. It's the matter that everyone will always have different views. There will always be a choice 1 vs a choice 2. Yes, at times, two people that dislike each other would agree on the same thing and vice-versa.

But other people that have commented nailed the answer better.

If it's relevant, it's discussed. Just because you don't personally agree with what's being said doesn't make it irrelevant.

Joe hit the nail on the head here. Forums provide a place for discussion, and whenever political and racial issue are relevant, they're discussed. We don't have to shy away from those discussions -- to be frank, I think some of most interesting discussions that we can have are racial and political discussions. This forum is an incredibly diverse place socioeconomically, racially, and politically. We've all got opinions from different places and different lives, and expressing them is the reason we go on here. If I wanted to listen to myself think, I'd sit by myself all day, but a forum like this with other people and other opinions enriches the discussion and diversifies the viewpoints. No need to be afraid of "big issues" -- topics with gravity are the most interesting to talk about, both in life, and here.

1+ for both comments for not holding back any punches and coming straight to the point.

You've both reached a pivotal point in this discussion-- the fact that the forums are incredibly diverse racially and politically. So we need to expect a variety of viewpoints be shared on topics where it seems race relations and politics goes hand in hand. Because that is simply how life is in the United States as of today.

Nothing wrong with debating viewpoints. However it's when people insist on declaring their viewpoints, and flaming others in the process, or otherwise disrupting a discussion enough that a moderator or administrator is forced to lock a thread and even ban members. That's what some need to consider when debating in a hot topic thread -- you don' have to flame another member or hijack a thread to prove a point. Even when it comes to social media there are unwritten rules of etiquette that needs to be followed. If everyone can do that then there would be no outstanding problems with how threads are moderated.

If it wasn't for those problems some people have we would have better success in discussing hot topics, even in regards to race relations, that can come to some sort of productive dialogue instead of the infighting we are seeing now.

Now to off topic but I agree realism. Not that I am a fan of "big brother" aka FCC, but there should be some form of governing body to montior the internet like the FCC in particuarly facebook and twitter. A rumor started on a site i.e Big Bird is not yellow he a green bird lol can seriously ruin someone.

Back to topic this discussion is not whether politcs and race should not be discussed? It's about in topics time and time that has not nothing to do with either topics, why it goes into those 2 areas? Also helpful for myself and others on site when posting news stories what you interested in and not? That all. Hope it clear it up.

Now to off topic but I agree realism. Not that I am a fan of "big brother" aka FCC, but there should be some form of governing body to montior the internet like the FCC in particuarly facebook and twitter. A rumor started on a site i.e Big Bird is not yellow he a green bird lol can seriously ruin someone.

there are already laws on the books about slander and libel, if crap someone says about someone causes them serious monetary damages and such.

there are already laws on the books about slander and libel, if crap someone says about someone causes them serious monetary damages and such.

That true. However its much harder to prove "slander and libel" from online & win in court. Then it is if someone says the same thing from a tv, radio or newspaper/book comment.

Back to topic this discussion is not whether politcs and race should not be discussed? It's about in topics time and time that has not nothing to do with either topics, why it goes into those 2 areas? Also helpful for myself and others on site when posting news stories what you interested in and not? That all. Hope it clear it up.

Human nature..... Everyone believes that their way of seeing things is right.... Compound that with people going overboard with pushing certain agendas (in this case, involving race & politics), and there you have it..... You're never gonna get rid of people injecting race and/or politics where they shouldn't (as long as there is open discussion that is - As opposed to resorting to forum nazi type tactics (so to speak)), because the next man will go to great(er) lengths over another to show & prove that his views are the "right" views - Even when it's irrelevant to do so......

Can't put it anymore plainer than that....

I've seen threads on subway and bus routes and equipment assignments, education, politics, even Sandy and it's aftermath veer off into racially tinged discussions for no apparent reason. We have had discussions about express buses that have had thinly veiled references to what seems to be "class" issues, at least to me.. I've even seen threads where someone from "Long Island" will talk disparagely about transit in Kings or Queens county without ever realizing that those two counties are part of "Long Island". Usually saner heads step in and try to steer the thread in the right direction. Sometimes threads get locked because we go so far off tangent that what starts off as an interesting thread becomes lost in racial and/or class vitriol. Then we have the" popcorn" and" lock" commenters who seem to enjoy the ensuing flame wars. Let's face it. In today's climate anything posted or talked about poltically or socially can have a racial or religious undertone if one actively seeks it. Even mass transit. The trick in my opinion, is to try to overlook the obvious landmine, and try to focus on the subject matter in the thread's title. It's hard sometimes, I agree, but I happen to like our community and don't want it to descend into a version of Fox vs MSNBC. They get paid for it. Just my 2 cents. Carry on.

I understand what MHV and Joe are saying, but if people can't do it in a passionate way while maintaing some level of decency then the topics shouldn't be discussed.

There's no middle ground that can be attained though; You can't put tabs on how passionate people are.

(For example, try telling a stone cold, die hard racist that he should maintain some level of decency while expressing his views)

In other words, either you continue allowing open discussion & let this problem being asked about in the thread title linger on, or resort to censorship to try to alleviate this problem.... It's that black & white....

.....Let's face it. In today's climate anything posted or talked about poltically or socially can have a racial or religious undertone if one actively seeks it. Even mass transit.

Nailed it.... That's another way of saying what I did earlier on in this thread.

Not for nothing, but this thread was a total facepalm-a-thon....

Hey i tried to find what on mind on the posters lol . :D Seriously find out why they drift away on threads, usually into politics or race and sometimes led to so called flame wars. Thus ruin numerous threads.

I guess it's best to wrap up this thread with no solutions. Just acccept & realize the guys will draft away into threads and close it when needed;

Archived