Commuting via Amtrak

QM1to6Ave

My job may soon require me to commute between New York and Philadelphia (the company office is right near the 30th Street station down there). Anybody have any experience doing this? Say, going from New York down to Philly for 3 days, then coming back up here for the rest of the week? Perhaps renting a small apartment down there to use a few nights a week.

What about even commuting every weekday between NYP and Philly?

Anybody know how expensive this would be? The ticket prices on Amtrak.com seem pretty high, especially for an unlimited monthly pass (something like $1,300).

Any personal commuting stories much appreciated.

My job may soon require me to commute between New York and Philadelphia (the company office is right near the 30th Street station down there). Anybody have any experience doing this? Say, going from New York down to Philly for 3 days, then coming back up here for the rest of the week? Perhaps renting a small apartment down there to use a few nights a week.

What about even commuting every weekday between NYP and Philly?

Anybody know how expensive this would be? The ticket prices on Amtrak.com seem pretty high, especially for an unlimited monthly pass (something like $1,300).

Any personal commuting stories much appreciated.

Try megabus and book ahead to get $1 fares or with amtrak go for NA rail pass amtrak has several pass options they are on their website.

Try megabus and book ahead to get $1 fares or with amtrak go for NA rail pass amtrak has several pass options they are on their website.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to avoid the buses if possible, since the train generally allows me more room to get some work done, and is somewhat quicker (assuming no delays anyway).

You could do NJT and SEPTA...if your job starts at 9AM, take the 6:01 NJT out of NYP, transfer at Trenton (only a 7min connection though!) and make it to 30th at 8:30. A monthly would cost 191 + 440 = $631. Miss the connection and you'll get there at 8:50.

Amtrak, take the 7:25 Keystone out of NYP and get there at 8:49 (or the 7:17 Regional to get there at 8:39). Monthly is $1,314, though.

All depends on whether or not you think 2.5 hours of your time a day is worth $683 a month....

If you take NJT and SEPTA, you can pay for both at New York Penn Station at once... when the NJT TVM, just look for Philadelphia 30th Street... it will give you one price and it will print out 2 tickets, one for NJT, the other for SEPTA

NEVER a feasible commuting option. Next the bus is faster. If you want train then it should be quicker than the bus otherwise the bus is better. But if speed is important and OP wants train amtrak is the only practical option NJT/SEPTA = JOKE

You could do NJT and SEPTA...if your job starts at 9AM, take the 6:01 NJT out of NYP, transfer at Trenton (only a 7min connection though!) and make it to 30th at 8:30. A monthly would cost 191 + 440 = $631. Miss the connection and you'll get there at 8:50.

Amtrak, take the 7:25 Keystone out of NYP and get there at 8:49 (or the 7:17 Regional to get there at 8:39). Monthly is $1,314, though.

All depends on whether or not you think 2.5 hours of your time a day is worth $683 a month....

As qj wrote, I'd probably stick to the Amtrak option. A 7:25 train for 9 am worktime is not bad. Do most amtrak trains have outlets and wi-fi nowadays? I haven't paid attention in a while.

My boss should reimburse me for part of the Amtrak fare, so I am not as worried about the high price.

Also, I really appreciate the advice, guys.

As qj wrote, I'd probably stick to the Amtrak option. A 7:25 train for 9 am worktime is not bad. Do most amtrak trains have outlets and wi-fi nowadays? I haven't paid attention in a while.

My boss should reimburse me for part of the Amtrak fare, so I am not as worried about the high price.

Also, I really appreciate the advice, guys.

almost all amtrak trains have outlets and wi-fi.

Interesting. Most likely, I'd have to get the monthly unlimited pass, so I don't think special weekly deals will help me, but that's good to know

The low-bucket Amtrak NYP-PHL fare is $36. A $1314 monthly pays for itself in 37 rides at a minimum, so if you think you're going to be working less than 19 days a month (not that impractical), buy a 10 trip. One ways every day are expensive ($99 or more for same day tickets) and the tickets are valid only on the train reserved.

All trains on the corridor have outlets at every seat. (I believe such is true systemwide now, but not entirely sure. )

I suggest you register for Amtrak Guest Rewards if you have not done so already. If you buy monthly tickets, you will quickly become Select Plus, and then get access to ClubAcela in Philadelphia and New York, which gives you a much nicer waiting area.

Archived