Train Noise

StevenFrancis

Any screeching and rattling over points and curves.

I honestly like turns and rattling over curves , thats odd about me :lol: but some trains have noises that really irk me and I hate it like the R143 and R160's HVAC system really drones out the announcements even inside the cab.

Every train has its noise that it emits and you hate so much, could be motor, braking, HVAC or something like that for example, my problems with the R142, R143, and R160 trains are the extremely loud HVAC system that sounds like 10 million bees.

But here is a question for you.. How does the train noise affect service? Frankly, there will always be a buff out there (Not just one, but some) saying that they the noise bothers them. ESPECIALLY when it comes to HVACs... The R142s is a target.. Thats why I hear buffs saying they favor the R142A over the R142s, ONLY because of the HVAC system being loud, and the R142As being shiny over the R142. Yet not worrying about bigger issues then that. Not saying you favor over ether car or not, just keeping it general. Yeah its loud, but its the way its built. Gotta deal with it. Same for any other components that bothers you or anyone. As for regular passengers, yeah there maybe some who feel its loud, but don't think they will complain over it...

I personally love the R142s regardless of noise, etc. But aside from that, every other car/fleet out there don't bother me, as long as its working well, and I can get where I need to go.

Alot of R68s and R32s I've noticed that it seems the brakes are either too tight (lack of better words) or perhaps worst case scenerio are in need of maintenance. I understand track wheels can also get so worn out. They could get flat spots which (going back to the thread starter) makes excessive noize upon entering a station. I didnt research the answer.

Alot of R68s and R32s I've noticed that it seems the brakes are either too tight (lack of better words) or perhaps worst case scenerio are in need of maintenance. I understand track wheels can also get so worn out. They could get flat spots which (going back to the thread starter) makes excessive noize upon entering a station. I didnt research the answer.

Those R68s are notorious for the flat wheels...ride the (B) or (G) (more so the (G)) and you hear them.

But here is a question for you.. How does the train noise affect service? Frankly, there will always be a buff out there (Not just one, but some) saying that they the noise bothers them. ESPECIALLY when it comes to HVACs... The R142s is a target.. Thats why I hear buffs saying they favor the R142A over the R142s, ONLY because of the HVAC system being loud, and the R142As being shiny over the R142. Yet not worrying about bigger issues then that. Not saying you favor over ether car or not, just keeping it general. Yeah its loud, but its the way its built. Gotta deal with it. Same for any other components that bothers you or anyone. As for regular passengers, yeah there maybe some who feel its loud, but don't think they will complain over it...

I personally love the R142s regardless of noise, etc. But aside from that, every other car/fleet out there don't bother me, as long as its working well, and I can get where I need to go.

I completely understand what youre saying I know we cant change anything about the way a car is built but Im just letting everyone have their opinion, because everyone has a right to do so, not saying that it will affect service, I mean you are right, some people may like the loudness of the HVAC while some people like me dont, everyone has a different reason, but I do see what you are saying.

The incredibly loud HVAC sounds on the NTTs (especially the R160s) get really annoying after a while. The subway always becomes slightly more pleasant in the winter for me because the HVAC isn't blasting.

Call me crazy but I like the loud HVAC. Drowns out the everything else in white noise. Then again I'm usually wearing earplugs.

As for regular passengers, yeah there maybe some who feel its loud, but don't think they will complain over it...

Pssh, you'd be surprised.

I don't mind all noise, though; sometimes hearing cars screeching down curves is preferable to listening to some jerk blasting his music over his crappy and cheap ear buds.

The noise coming from trains under els can be a pain sometimes.

Tell me about it, especially when you're on the phone and you're walking under the IRT Jerome Avenue Line. But I really don't mind the noise, I'm used to it.

Archived