Train Noise

StevenFrancis

Those R68s are notorious for the flat wheels...ride the (B) or (G) (more so the (G)) and you hear them.

Riding the (B) or (D) every day from work up the CPW to the Bronx and down to Manhattan to get to the QBL if not the (4). Yeah like you said that (B) and it's flat wheels makes for a eardrum busting experience. Otherwise those R68s in general really runs. I rarely seen those trains taken out of service due to mecanical problems. Alot of A/C breakdowns over the summer though....

Or it could also be chipouts on the rails too that the track workers didn't get too yet or the inspection cars missed. That's something to consider. They are doing work right now on the Grand Concourse and it seems to be track work. Hard to tell because it's behind a closed wall. But it seems so if the track workers equipped themselves with work locomotive with flatbed car and crane car from what I've seen the past two weekends. Could be wrong though.

Riding the (B) or (D) every day from work up the CPW to the Bronx and down to Manhattan to get to the QBL if not the (4). Yeah like you said that (B) and it's flat wheels makes for a eardrum busting experience. Otherwise those R68s in general really runs. I rarely seen those trains taken out of service due to mecanical problems. Alot of A/C breakdowns over the summer though....

True with the A/C breakdowns part, I never rode on a (B)(D) or (G) with a flat wheel but with A/C problems, yes, because I once boarded a (B) at Atlantic Av - Barclays Center and the A/C sounded like it was trying to start but it kept failing.

Subway noise does not bother me anymore since I experienced the R/10's and the R/32's on express runs without air conditioning and the doors between cars wide open where the noise was ear splitting to say the least.

There are the occasional glitches where there is excessive noise but since I am not going to be on the train for more than an hour, I tune it out. Having lived with three different lines within one mile, (two elevated and one on the ground) with major switch points on the elevated at the beginning and end of the stations and hearing train noise day and night for twenty years, you learn to live with it.

This is the only thing I hate about the R142: They make so much noise when they're stationary. They sound like damn spaceships. That's the only complaint. Oh, and yeah, a few of them have horrid brakes.

Lol yeah the HVAC sounds like a jet engine or something like that, I also hate how sometimes when the train begins to depart, the third rail contact shoe, drags causing a LOUD screeching noise oh lawd I hate that!

This is the only thing I hate about the R142: They make so much noise when they're stationary. They sound like damn spaceships. That's the only complaint. Oh, and yeah, a few of them have horrid brakes.

Yeah what;s up with the R142's? I'm sure that the crews are having a hell of a time with these trains since their manufacturer's guarantee (lack for better words, sorry) expired. Kawasaki and Bombardier no longer provide mechanical/tech support for these trains. Of course those being R188 sets being he exception but I guess that's another story...

Archived