Q7 Changes and January 2013 Bus Schedule Changes

BM5 via Woodhaven

Since hurricane sandy, the Q7 proposal was put on halt, only to be put back into planning stages, with the New Implementation Date Scheduled December 2012. 12 routes, including the BM1/2/3/4, Q101, QM24, Q29, B103, Q50, and Bx23 will see service enhancements as shown

LINK: http://www.mta.info/...26_1130_BUS.pdf

===============================================================================================

My Opinion (Q29 Only)

I dont like that the frequency for buses will increase during peak periods. Currently those buses are full and flag people , and they are increasing the headways!? How Dare they!

Nothing on the 38, like usual smh.......

The 38 can definetly use 7 minute headways during the rush, since the number of people who use the 38 during rush hours increased about 80% from last year. Also I get flagged once in a while making me wait out in the damn cold for 14 minutes. Other times its okay, but rush hours is a PITA on the Q38, not to mention the amount of people who now use it compared to last year, the crappy headways and horrible scheduling problem CP has, and the MTA dont do nothing about it.

The other CP routes can get service increases as well, as those routes get packed to the brim also

Glad the BM5 didnt get selected have span changes like the other buses, I'm actually dependednt on that bus route to get to the city if I dont want to take the train.

The other changes I'll let you guys give your opinion.

Still no word on the X1 nor other service enhancements BTW

I know the Q25/Q34 and Q65 can run frequent for some time and then all of a sudden your waiting 15-30 minutes for a bus. Even more like 45 minutes to an hour. I live right off the Q25/Q34 and I notice this time problem all the time.

the reason why those routes are always late esp. the Q25/34 is because of traffic on kissena Blvd past the LIE plus flushing, if they improove that segment, then buses will come on time, for years it was always like this Flushing makes every route that goes through there late

the reason why those routes are always late esp. the Q25/34 is because of traffic on kissena Blvd past the LIE plus flushing, if they improove that segment, then buses will come on time, for years it was always like this Flushing makes every route that goes through there late

Q17's don't show up late so that can't be the reason. You can always see about 6-7 Q17 past before a Q25 can come. I always thought it had something to do with a shortage or the lack of keeping up with time.

Q17's don't show up late so that can't be the reason. You can always see about 6-7 Q17 past before a Q25 can come. I always thought it had something to do with a shortage or the lack of keeping up with time.

\

Two different corridors you are comparing, the Q17 goes through a much less busy corridor than the Q25. Kissena & Parsons is always screwed up whereas 188th is pretty wide open.

I don't see the Q50 changes, what page is it on?

I have to say.... I really like the job that Lhota has been doing... He's been doing his best to cut costs but hold on to service. Pushing the BM1 - BM4 back a bit later by 20 minutes isn't the end of the world and on the plus side the service runs later and saves 700,000... Not too shabby.

The $700,000 in savings is because of all the reductions, not just the ones to the BM routes.

I have to say.... I really like the job that Lhota has been doing... He's been doing his best to cut costs but hold on to service. Pushing the BM1 - BM4 back a bit later by 20 minutes isn't the end of the world and on the plus side the service runs later and saves 700,000... Not too shabby.

The $700,000 in savings is because of all the reductions, not just the ones to the BM routes.

Well that's obvious based on the PDF file, but I don't care about the other routes #1 and #2 they don't give a breakdown on how much savings they get per change so that's all there is to go off of. The point I was making wasn't so much with regards to the savings but rather that the changes have been reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really see how this change is going to effects the routes that much especially the QM18. The only change I see made is that it's going to be a direct route to the last stop on the Q37 and Q10.

Sorry for bumping, but anyways

I'm not saying its a problem, just notifying another South Ozone Park Change. Not a lot of the QM18 ridership comes from South Ozone Park, as most of it comes from Rockaway Blvd and North. It will make the scheduling better because orginally those short turns , on weekdays (and as noted in the document) from 7-8 AM and from 2:30-5:00 PM it resulted in delays because of parents in both directions dropping off their school kids and that chaos. Should be a smoother ride for those short turns. By the way how will that be shown on the schedules and maps (if its gonna branch off or if its not going to be shown as a branch-off).

P.S If anyone of the mods will like to merge this with the Q30/Q36 changes thread, fine with me.

I miss the S76 during weekends as i can go home on the 76 instead of the packed 78 during Sunday afternoons. On Richmond raod, the service is not needed. X1 I guess is ok a nighttime to give customers on Richmond av a one seat ride to manhattan but lets first have a S59 run at night!

How 'bout extended 96/98

96= w 8 20 7 30 sat - 60 60 - sun 9am, 11am, 12am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 6pm

98= w 9 15 6 20 sat- 60 30 30 60 sun 8,9,10,11, every 30, 5,530,6,8,10,1am

78- 9 12 10 20 sat 12 10 10 15 sun- 15 12 10 15

I miss the S76 during weekends as i can go home on the 76 instead of the packed 78 during Sunday afternoons. On Richmond raod, the service is not needed. X1 I guess is ok a nighttime to give customers on Richmond av a one seat ride to manhattan but lets first have a S59 run at night!

How 'bout extended 96/98

96= w 8 20 7 30 sat - 60 60 - sun 9am, 11am, 12am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 6pm

98= w 9 15 6 20 sat- 60 30 30 60 sun 8,9,10,11, every 30, 5,530,6,8,10,1am

78- 9 12 10 20 sat 12 10 10 15 sun- 15 12 10 15

I think this belongs in the SI thread. (And wasn't the S96/98 service already discussed anyway).

The new B4 schedule is out as well as the B39 schedule

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b004cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b039cur.pdf

Also here's the X1 schedule. Overnight service starts January 20,2012

http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x001cur.pdf

Here's another article

Bus Service Enhancements Set to Begin

Recognizing the shifting transportation needs of New Yorkers, the MTA is boosting bus service throughout the five boroughs.

Beginning Sunday, January 6, bus customers will benefit from a varied combination of service additions and extensions on several routes citywide as outlined in the MTA’s Service Enhancement Plan, released in July, 2012.

About 50,000 customers will benefit from these service improvements that will restore some cuts made in 2010 while also filling gaps in service coverage in certain geographic areas or at certain times of day.

“We are here to provide mass transit service and that we are able to restore some earlier service cuts while at the same time extending service along several routes is great news for us to share,” said New York City Transit President Thomas F. Prendergast. “These enhancements were all a result of listening to our customers and keeping close watch on changing travel trends.”

The enhancements will take effect on two dates.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 Service Restorations and Enhancements:

Bx13 New Extension from East 161st Street to Bronx Terminal Market (149th Street and River Avenue)

Bx34 Restore daytime weekend service

B4 Restore full-time service to Knapp Street/Voorhies Ave via Neptune Avenue, Sheepshead Bay Road, Emmons Ave/Shore Parkway

B24 Restore weekend service

B39 Restore daytime service between Williamsburg and Manhattan’s Lower East Side

B48 Restore extension from Atlantic Avenue to Prospect Park (BQ) Station

B57 Extend route from Carroll Gardens to Red Hook (Ikea) via Court Street, Lorraine Street and Otsego Street

B64 Restore extension from Cropsey Avenue to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue (DFNQ) Station via Harway Avenue

B69 Restore weekend service

M1 Restore weekend service from 106th Street to 8th Street

M9 Extend north terminal from 23rd Street to 29th Street via 1st and 2nd Avenues and extend south terminal from City Hall to Battery Park City via Warren Street/Murray Street and West Street

M21 Restore weekend service

Q24 Restore extension from Broadway Junction to Bushwick Avenue via Broadway

Q27 Provide new overnight service from Horace Harding Expressway to Cambria Heights via Springfield Blvd

Q30* Provide new branch to Queensborough Community College

Q36 Extend alternate trips from Jamaica Avenue to Little Neck via Little Neck Parkway (This restores weekday service along route of previous Q79 route.)

Q42* Restore midday service from Jamaica Center to St. Albans via Archer Avenue

On Sunday, January 20, we will implement the following service restorations and enhancements:

S76 Restore weekend service

S93* Extend route from entrance to College of Staten Island into campus area

X1 Add overnight express bus service from Eltingville to Manhattan via Hylan Blvd

X17 Extend route to Tottenville middays

*The Q30 and Q42 are weekday only, so they are being introduced on Monday, January 7. The S93 is also weekdays only, so it will be introduced on Tuesday, January 22.

In addition, NYC Transit is continuing to work with communities in order to develop new services to address transit needs in growing and changing neighborhoods. The following new services are planned for implementation later in 2013:

New route, Bx46, which would operate between the South Bronx and western Hunts Point to be implemented in April 2013

New service connecting Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Vinegar Hill and the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

New Williamsburg-Greenpoint-Long Island City service

New service between East New York (New Lots Avenue 3 station) and Spring Creek

New north-south far Westside Manhattan route to serve the West Village, Chelsea and Hell’s Kitchen.

Select Bus Service on the Bx41 route along Webster Avenue

Customers may visit our website at www.mta.info to sign up for free email and text message alerts. In addition, customers may dial 511, the New York State travel information line, for MTA customer service and travel information. NYC Transit agents are available to provide assistance with your travel plans daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

This is a great day for NYC. I actually spoke with someone I've been speaking with from Senator Golden's office and we are both excited to see the B4 back, along with the B64 amongst others. I suggested the possibility of discussing ideas with the (MTA) to strengthen and better market express bus service particularly in Southern Brooklyn for the BM3 and BM4 and I am ready to do anything I can to help. The goal here is to build upon what has been restored and not have some things restored while others continue to be cut, so I'll be keeping a close eye on the service in certain areas just to see how things are going.

Actually talks are still ongoing about ways to bring back weekend service for the X28 and other lost services in Southern Brooklyn like the B37 in some capacity. As the financial situation improves, I am sure that there will be a continued push to restore more service and be creative in finding ways to fund these restorations.

Archived