Wait times for the 20 busiest routes

JubaionBx12+SBS

In all honesty I have been really disappointed with the some of the wait times I experience for Bx12 +SBS during the PM Rush. On several occasions i'm out at Pelham Bay waiting over 10-15 minutes for a Bay Plaza bound bus during a time when I should be waiting 4-5 minutes (if I just missed one). When i'm waiting I think to myself... Why I am waiting so long for the 3rd busiest route in the city?? The MTA gave the Bx12 +SBS so they see a need to give the route sufficient service.

I would like riders of other really busy routes to comment on their wait times for buses. Is waiting 10 minutes or more for a bus a common occurance on routes with headways of 4 minutes or lower?

In all honesty I have been really disappointed with the some of the wait times I experience for Bx12 +SBS during the PM Rush. On several occasions i'm out at Pelham Bay waiting over 10-15 minutes for a Bay Plaza bound bus during a time when I should be waiting 4-5 minutes (if I just missed one). When i'm waiting I think to myself... Why I am waiting so long for the 3rd busiest route in the city?? The MTA gave the Bx12 +SBS so they see a need to give the route sufficient service.

I would like riders of other really busy routes to comment on their wait times for buses. Is waiting 10 minutes or more for a bus a common occurance on routes with headways of 4 minutes or lower?

It happens on every route. In a city with traffic conditions as unpredictable as New York, you can expect even the most frequent routes to have occasional lapses.

Yes, the M2/M3/M4 is extremely unreliable. I once waited an hour for an M2, and 2.5 hours for an M4. (I ended up taking the (1) anyways after that, so I really don't know when it showed up)

That's a seriously long wait for the M4. Whenever I come out of 137th Street, or out from CCNY, there's usually an M4 or M5 there. On a slightly different note, the schedule shows a lot of M4 trips that start/end around 135th Street. Maybe that's why I see a lot of them come and end their service there.

Anyway, that's a huge wait.

Yes, the M2/M3/M4 is extremely unreliable. I once waited an hour for an M2, and 2.5 hours for an M4. (I ended up taking the (1) anyways after that, so I really don't know when it showed up)

The M2 drives me nuts, I take it every day and there're consistent wait times of 35-40 minutes. Wednesday afternoons I literally stand there counting all the completely missed runs. Awful..

6 minute headways during the PM rush uptown M15 SBS is simply ridiculous. Every bus is crush loaded and often times there's people who can't make it on and have to wait for the next one. One time I waited 17 minutes for a select before taking the local. After over a 2 mile ride I got off and no select had passed us, nor was one in sight down the road.

I avoid the Bx12 because those buses are way too crowded.... I will go out of my way to take other bus routes to get to somewhere along pelham pkwy / fordham rd than taking the 12 itself.....

I'm sorry, but I can't see myself waiting an hour + for a bus in NYC.... It amazes me to hear someone say they waited 2+ hours for a bus, even if it's an express bus in this city..... Push comes to shove, I'll either take a myriad of buses or bust a VG8 & take a goddamn cab....

I guess no one really wants to hear my take on this, since I live around 2 of the more reliable routes in the city..... I simply won't wait that long for a B35 - regardless if dollar cabs instantly stopped running on church for some reason.... Let there be a 10 minute wait for the B35 during the day, you will hear cursing of at least '4' different languages/dialects..... twannty minit me been standin pon 'ere fi di bus *kiss teet* ridiculous nah man, me naaah pay taxiss fi dis..... then poleece man waan write up ah tickit when me ah board ah di back a di bus....

As for the question itself, depends what you're asking:

- is it a common occurrence for people to opt to wait that long for a B35? I would say yes, because you do have people around here that simply won't put their hands in the lives of a dollar cab driver... and truth untold, drivers generally don't like older folks in their cabs b/c they take too long to get in & out of the car..... You have to be impatient to avoid getting a ticket.....

- is it a common occurrence to wait that long for a B35? Nope.... Not during the day....

I'd venture to say something is seriously wrong if you don't see a B35 (not even in the distance) within 10 minutes time.....

Oh man, the M1/2/3/4 are the most ridiculous lines in the city. I swear, the buses on that line show up at the most random times whenever they feel like it. Last night I got on am M3 from the Village and I was literally the only person on it for the entire ride. I rarely see those buses in service, so I think I got lucky last night as the bus happened to pull up just as I got to the stop. The M5 and M7 though are pretty reliable when I've needed to take them

Oh man, the M1/2/3/4 are the most ridiculous lines in the city. I swear, the buses on that line show up at the most random times whenever they feel like it. Last night I got on am M3 from the Village and I was literally the only person on it for the entire ride. I rarely see those buses in service, so I think I got lucky last night as the bus happened to pull up just as I got to the stop. The M5 and M7 though are pretty reliable when I've needed to take them

wanna know why people could care less about manhattan buses.

Some bus lines people really do care about, like the M15, M34. They were made SBS lines for a reason

exactly SOME!!!!! THOSE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!!!!!!! BUT MOST M lines are just an afterthought to almost everyone visiting manhattan. most from couumter rail into nyc don't give a bleep about M lines except those you mentioned and crosstowns and a handful but most are literally ignored due to the subway.

exactly SOME!!!!! THOSE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!!!!!!! BUT MOST M lines are just an afterthought to almost everyone visiting manhattan. most from couumter rail into nyc don't give a bleep about M lines except those you mentioned and crosstowns and a handful but most are literally ignored due to the subway.

Nope.

You do realize that many bus lines run between areas that don't have direct subway connections, and run in L (or I guess you could say double-L) routes. In terms of routing only, the only Manhattan lines that duplicate subway service for basically their entire run are the M10, M103, and M104. You could also argue that the M7 does, but that would be pushing it.

Also, subway stops are typically 6-10 blocks apart, whereas the buses stop every 2-3 blocks. Let's say I was going from 91st and Lex to 64th and Lex. Taking the M101/M102/M103 would require NO walking, whereas taking the subway would require 9 blocks of walking. The bus for this case would be just as fast, if not faster than walking, even though the bus runs right above the subway.

Also, how would I get from 120th St/7th Av to 84th/5th by subway? The M2 bus is right there.

You do realize that many bus lines run between areas that don't have direct subway connections, and run in L (or I guess you could say double-L) routes. In terms of routing only, the only Manhattan lines that duplicate subway service for basically their entire run are the M10, M103, and M104. You could also argue that the M7 does, but that would be pushing it.

Also, subway stops are typically 6-10 blocks apart, whereas the buses stop every 2-3 blocks. Let's say I was going from 91st and Lex to 64th and Lex. Taking the M101/M102/M103 would require NO walking, whereas taking the subway would require 9 blocks of walking. The bus for this case would be just as fast, if not faster than walking, even though the bus runs right above the subway.

Also, how would I get from 120th St/7th Av to 84th/5th by subway? The M2 bus is right there.

Hell, i'd even take the M10 most of the time going to school, because of the unreliability of CPW.

You've been saying this for quite some time on these forums about manhattan bus routes....

Like I told you before, I partly agree with the assessment, but you make it seem like "MOST" manhattan bus routes are un-used - Which is a gross misrepresentation of the point..... I'd even go on to say that you're being intellectually dishonest; People coming off commuter rails not using manhattan's bus routes means squat, as there are a slew of manhattanites & outer-borough residents that use manhattan's buses to get from some point B to C (with point A being the outerborough they came from)......

I'll use myself for example.... I take the M103 between hobby shops in chinatown & midtown... I simply do not feel like being bothered w/ taking the (Q) at Canal & either walking back from 34th to 28th, or getting off at union sq & riding the (R) 2 stops to 28th.... Especially after having taken the B or Q to begin with, to get to chinatown, from Brooklyn.....

I guess you haven't looked at the ridership numbers for Manhattan bus routes. Most routes have very high ridership to be honest.

BINGO that is where subway coverage becomes lax and people being poorer hence ridership for buses or your probably speaking about the crosstowns.

It aint just the crosstowns.....

What you're implicating is bullshit because 1] mass amounts of people don't stop taking buses south of 70th (using his example) & 2] people with money utilize the 5th/madison routes & the M104 up there along broadway in the upper west side.....

It aint just the crosstowns.....

What you're implicating is bullshit because 1] mass amounts of people don't stop taking buses south of 70th (using his example) & 2] people with money utilize the 5th/madison routes & the M104 up there along broadway in the upper west side.....

True but you misjudged what I said I never made such an implication I am well aware of how well the other routes do. I know M104 and madison ave lines are used. I said he was talking about the STRONGEST ridership ones.

True but you misjudged what I said I never made such an implication I am well aware of how well the other routes do. I know M104 and madison ave lines are used. I said he was talking about the STRONGEST ridership ones.

I don't get the sense he was just talking about the M15's & the M101's of the world (the STRONGEST ridershipped ones).... He didn't have to talk about the stronger utilized routes to say that he's never seen a bus that didn't get high ridership - You're only saying that because it would fortify your (embellished) stance.....

In any case, you said that people utilize buses north of the area CDTA gave (which was 70th) due to ppl. being poorer "hence ridership for buses" & due to subway coverage being lax....

....and I'm telling you that people being poorer is much ado about nothing b/c the people that aren't as poor still utilize buses up in that area.... It's nothin more than sifting for reasons to support the point of people generally not giving a damn about manhattan's buses & it being all about the subway.....

Archived