Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
-CT1660-

Bus Crashes Into House on Long Island

jose+destella+hempstead+tpke.jpg

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 | Updated 10:33 PM EST

A bus crashed into a house in Hempstead Tuesday night, resulting in injuries, according to officials.

The Nassau Inter County Express bus crashed into a house on East Fulton Avenue and Nassau Road in Hempstead around 9:45 p.m Tuesday, police said.

Police said there were passengers on the bus. Police also said some people were injured, but could not confirm how many were injured or their condition.

Source: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/hempstead-nassau-road-east-fulton-avenue-bus-accident-181116381.html

Now this is scary, because on the shuttle bus back from the MTA hearing tonight I was talking with another passenger about how the NICE Bus drivers are going to get someone killed with their driving, then look what happened. Its all over the media. Hopefully this is the end for NICE Bus. (MTA) forthwith, kiss my ass Mangano, the blood is on your hands!!!

Now this is scary, because on the shuttle bus back from the MTA hearing tonight I was talking with another passenger about how the NICE Bus drivers are going to get someone killed with their driving, then look what happened. Its all over the media. Hopefully this is the end for NICE Bus. (MTA) forthwith, kiss my ass Mangano, the blood is on your hands!!!

Don't hold your breath with that one now. Veolia has Nassau County by the balls at this rate.

• Upvote 7

Oh no. Now this is bad. By the way, it was 1756.

_DSC0624-L.jpg

_DSC0625-L.jpg

Edited by Brett

Don't hold your breath with that one now. Veolia has Nassau County by the balls at this rate.

Contract can be broken at anytime given a month's notice.

Contract can be broken at anytime given a month's notice.

True, I may be wrong, but wouldn't the county have to pay them if the contract is broken?

LINK: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=742A141921D514354A10.3266?site=newsday&view=top_stories_item&feed:a=newsday_1min&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.4266856&nopaging=1

A 5-year-old boy has died after a bus drove into a Hempstead house, as the driver was trying to avoid a pedestrian, Hempstead police said.

Lt. Frank McNamee of the Hempstead Village police said, "The bus was trying to avoid the pedestrian in the roadway and wound up hitting the pedestrian anyway. The child was pinned between the bus and the interior portion of the house."

The child was pronounced dead at 10:20 p.m. at Winthrop University Hospital in Mineola with his parents beside him. There were 30 people on the bus, police said, and about half of them had minor injuries. The pedestrian suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The accident happened about 9:15 p.m. at the intersection of Fulton Avenue and Nassau Place.

Police said no charges were filed.

Hempstead Police Sgt. Mark Kirichenko said the victims had been transported to area hospitals.

"I don't know the conditions at this time," he said, saying some went to Nassau University Medical Center and others went to Winthrop.

Hempstead Police, fire departments and Nassau police were among the emergency units responding to the crash, officials said.

The bus is part of the Nassau Inter County Express (NICE) system, officials said.

Officials were using part of Burger King across the street for a staging area. A NICE bus official was on scene and declined to coment.

Veolia Transportation took over Nassau's bus line on Jan. 1, naming it Nassau Inter-County Express Bus, or NICE, and soon after cut service to some bus routes to fill a $7.3 million budget gap.

The switch to Veolia from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority 's LI Bus was made by Nassau to rein in costs for bus service, which the MTA ran for 37 years.

Nassau was providing $9.1 million toward the system's $141 million budget by 2011, and the MTA said it no longer would make up the difference. Unless Nassau came up with $26 million more, the MTA said it would be forced to eliminate half of LI Bus' routes.

County Executive Edward Mangano in June 2011 chose Veolia to take over the system rather than pay MTA more, and MTA voted to terminate its pact with the county.

In the first six months of NICE's service, the rate of accidents fell by 60 percent. While the MTA said severe weather early in 2011 played a role, NICE chief executive Michael Setzer said the drop had more to do with Veolia's increased focus on safety.

I wonder if all the people who were involving in NICE Bus accident are sueing Nassau County and Veolia NICE Bus?

No charges have been filed yet.

looks like that ain't so NICE HERE COMES THE MTA well We gave em a chance and well it is not working out.

What the hell are you talking about....this could've happened even WITH the MTA still in operation.....

• Upvote 14

looks like that ain't so NICE HERE COMES THE MTA well We gave em a chance and well it is not working out.

Woah woah, no. As far as we know, the safety record under NICE this year is still lower than it was with the MTA last year.
  • Upvote 2

Whether it's a car, van, bus, whatever.... It always amazes me to see a vehicle literally slam through a building...

This.

• Upvote 4

Aaand that's why you don't Jaywalk unless you're in NYC...

• Upvote 2

First off my deepest condolences to the boy that was injured and his family. May he rest in peace.

Second, has it been determined who is at fault (the driver or pedestrian)?

Lastly, I believe Veolia's operation of NICE could have contributed many factors to as why this happened, such as long shifts/overworking operators, equipment failure/malfunction, poor training/overall driving skills, and other miscellaneous conditions.

"In the first six months of NICE's service, the rate of accidents fell by 60 percent." That appears to be a major success with NICE.

I don't believe that for one bit. Remember we didnt have a winter last year, which probably resulted in less accidents everywhere. And I believe there was one article that had rising accident rates.

I don't believe that for one bit. Remember we didnt have a winter last year, which probably resulted in less accidents everywhere. And I believe there was one article that had rising accident rates.

Not favoring anyone but one could counter and say the incidents with 1804 & 1808 negatively impacted the statistic, or that it wouldn't be fair until both were compared after a full year in operation.

Wow, this is depressing and unfortunate for the family of that young boy. RIP.

Too bad the MTA won't be coming back anytime soon, especially if they won't be compensated for acquiring and operating the service. The Veolia takeover should have never happened though IMO. This might be one of those penny wise and pound foolish scenarios with Nassau County and LIB/NICE.

Another fatal accident in Hempstead. There was nothing the B/O could do, people walk in front of traffic all the goddamned time over there.

Edited by Joel Up Front
  • Upvote 5

The pedestrian the bus tried to avoid left his/her sneaker behind according to another news article

Right, and for people to put blame on NICE is stupid. This could've happened even if the MTA was operating out in L.I. Hell, It has happened before IN L.I UNDER MTA operation!

• Upvote 11

Indeed. And you know what? What if the MTA comes back and such an accident happens again? Do we get threads full about how people miss Veolia then?

IT'S NEVER gonna be f***ing perfect people. Accidents, how unfortanate they may be, happen. *ALL the time*. Doesn't matter if it's MTA or Veolia or SEPTA or NJT.

And especially if we don't even know exactly what happened other than a pedestrian walking in front we can't blame anyone yet.

Edited by Vistausss
  • Upvote 2

Why would you believe statistics? Your bullshit and assumptions are much more accurate.

Another fatal accident in Hempstead. There was nothing the B/O could do, people walk in front of traffic all the goddamned time over there.

Right, and for people to put blame on NICE is stupid. This could've happened even if the MTA was operating out in L.I. Hell, It has happened before IN L.I UNDER MTA operation!

Driver had a split second to make a decision, it's almost like an automatic decision how someone will handle it, it has nothing to do with nice's training or safety. People who are saying it is are using a tragic event to try to justify more nice bashing.

Woah woah, no. As far as we know, the safety record under NICE this year is still lower than it was with the MTA last year.

Jump to conclusions much?

Police said the bus driver would not face charges.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.c...d#ixzz2DWMoakxE

Meaning the driver was not at fault!

• Upvote 5

Jump to conclusions much?

No, but as far as statistics we (the public) have been given, there is not a reason for the county to ask the (MTA) to come back.

And this is why you shouldn't jaywalk in front of a bus. Nuff' said.

It's Hempstead, people do it all the time.
  • Upvote 1