Bus Crashes Into House on Long Island

-CT1660-

***update***

The Wall Street Journal has reported that authorities have impounded the bus to conduct brake and saftey checks.

Interestingly in the Wall Street Journal article they mentions a Suffolk Transit bus hit a pedestrian in Coram yesterday, the driver also was found not to be at fault. I'm going to go browse the forums and see if the same people questioned the saftey of the company that operates that bus.

In a separate incident in Suffolk County, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a transit bus in Coram Tuesday afternoon. The 35-year-old woman, whose name was not immediately released, was walking south on Middle Country Road when she was hit by the bus, which was also going south around 4:48 p.m.

The driver was not injured, and the Suffolk County police said the incident appears not to be criminal.

http://blogs.wsj.com...oogle_news_blog

***Edit***

Ive seen in the comments of a couple news articles (same person?) asking why toxicology was not done, that if it was someone in a car they would be in the hospital having their blood drawn. To be honest it sounds like someone bitter with Nassau County about getting a toxicology test after a car accident. I just want to point out that this type of testing is MANDATORY, any commercial driver involved in an accident that results in a death is required to take these tests, it 's a DOT requirement.

Wow, I even said "There was nothing the bus operator could do" and this guy interprets it as me dishonoring his deity Veolia...

Who are you talking about? If you are talking about me I think you misinterpreted what I said, I was backing up what you said saying the driver had a split second to react. I went on to say if someone uses this against Veolia's safety etc etc, You didn't say that, you weren't among one of them. I only quoted you because i agreed with what you said, I even like the post, so why are you jumping on my back?

NOOOO. Suffolk Transit bus driver hit someone. I'm gonna rant now because Suffolk Transit bus drivers are apperantly incapable.

('Nuff sarcasm for today, I guess.)

It's not just this one accident, you fail to see the bigger picture. NICE Bus has alot of inexperienced drivers and mechanical failures. I dont see Suffolk Transit drivers getting lost all the time, nor do I see them breaking down everyday. The Hempstead incident may have very well been the pedestrian's fault, its not surprising considering the area. But perhaps the driver was overworked or late and was speeding because he had only 1 minute in HTC before he had to do another run? Or the bus itself was poorly maintained, resulting in an easier loss of control? I feel bad not only for the family that lost their child, but for the bus driver who will have to live with this for the rest of his life. He was probably under alot of pressure and stress (as many NICE bus drivers are) and knowing Veolia, he may lose his job over it. I've already been told by Hound that they are firing drivers constantly, the cameras automatically report anyone going over 40mph.

It's not just this one accident, you fail to see the bigger picture. NICE Bus has alot of inexperienced drivers and mechanical failures. I dont see Suffolk Transit drivers getting lost all the time, nor do I see them breaking down everyday. The Hempstead incident may have very well been the pedestrian's fault, its not surprising considering the area. But perhaps the driver was overworked or late and was speeding because he had only 1 minute in HTC before he had to do another run? Or the bus itself was poorly maintained, resulting in an easier loss of control? I feel bad not only for the family that lost their child, but for the bus driver who will have to live with this for the rest of his life. He was probably under alot of pressure and stress (as many NICE bus drivers are) and knowing Veolia, he may lose his job over it. I've already been told by Hound that they are firing drivers constantly, the cameras automatically report anyone going over 40mph.

This Is exactly what I mean. When I was on that breakdown, the mechanic guy looks like someone who drinks a cup of coffee then watches TV all day doing nothing. He looks that unexperienced. I don't think most of these are experienced, and just chosen to not have gaps in jobs. Depending which direction the damn person is jaywalking, I would say Just halt or something (I know the BO couldnt halt, but still, it's much better than crashing into the house, instead of turning the bus, in which he probably lost control.

If I were to choose who has the most fault here, its the jaywalker

Stop assuming!

Nassau County police spokesman Inspector Kenneth Lack has said, "The bus driver sees the pedestrian, blows his horn three times as a warning, the pedestrian keeps walking toward the moving bus, who was traveling at the proper rate of speed with the green light, tries to avoid him and is forced to make a hard right turn."

He added that the bus then "hops the curb and strikes the house at 505 Fulton Avenue. Preliminarily, alcohol, drugs and speed do not appear to be a factor regarding the driver of the NICE bus," he concluded.

Or the bus itself was poorly maintained, resulting in an easier loss of control?

Well, they impounded the bus so we'll see...

Translation: I hate NICE, I hate NICE, I hate NICE blah blah blah.

"In the first six months of NICE's service, the rate of accidents fell by 60 percent." That appears to be a major success with NICE.

ok that is VERY NICE. I can't believe I let myself get fooled by pinepower and famousNY NICE ain't THAT BAD.

Another fatal accident in Hempstead. There was nothing the B/O could do, people walk in front of traffic all the goddamned time over there.

yeah pretty much

According to News 12, the 6 year old who died was Jose Granados. His older brother David was interviewed by News 12..

The reporter who covered the story kept pronouncing his name as "hosuway" and it got on my nerves quick. The house on 505 Fulton Street is just yards away from the intersection of that street and Peninsula; the road curves right near Main Street but then there's a left kink. The house is right after the kink - and Peninsula feeds right into Fulton with nothing protecting it but a Yield sign and the light for Fulton.

I haven't been to that intersection in months but I remember it well enough to know that it's dangerous. Why the hell can't people wait and just use the crosswalk like everyone else?

According to News 12, the 6 year old who died was Jose Granados. His older brother David was interviewed by News 12..

The reporter who covered the story kept pronouncing his name as "hosuway" and it got on my nerves quick. The house on 505 Fulton Street is just yards away from the intersection of that street and Peninsula; the road curves right near Main Street but then there's a left kink. The house is right after the kink - and Peninsula feeds right into Fulton with nothing protecting it but a Yield sign and the light for Fulton.

I haven't been to that intersection in months but I remember it well enough to know that it's dangerous. Why the hell can't people wait and just use the crosswalk like everyone else?

Apparently they feel entitled and invincible from any fatality that can result from crossing in front of a 15 ton vehicle.

Once again my condolences to the victim and his family, most noteably his brother who was interviewed in regards to the crash.

My name is Jose. And if thy mentioned my name like that I'd be really pissed off.

This Bascially sums everything up ^^^^

I heard that the jaywalker might get charged. I hope he does considering its mainly his fault.

Tragic as this is, I don't think you could get charges to stick against the jaywalker. Then again, Kathleen Rice got second-degree murder charges to stick when the normal charge would be vehicular manslaughter.

Archived