Bus Crashes Into House on Long Island

-CT1660-

How about that:

The company said the bus driver previously worked for the MTA before joining NICE in January 2012.

http://www.examiner....child-hempstead

We'll have to see what the mechanical review says. The roads were starting to freeze at that time, and this could've caused the bus to lose control. If the safety check says the bus was OK, then NICE has no blame. I just hope the bus driver keeps his job. We all know how dangerous Rt.24 is in Nassau County, perhaps some sort of Jersey Barrier should be placed in the road to keep ppl from crossing.

Tragic as this is, I don't think you could get charges to stick against the jaywalker. Then again, Kathleen Rice got second-degree murder charges to stick when the normal charge would be vehicular manslaughter.

Considering he didn't stick around after the accident, he could get charged. I see reckless pedestrian behavior all the time, they dart out into traffic and often in front of buses. The bicyclists are the worst, I've seen them dart out from the sidewalk into oncoming traffic and ride the yellow line. And the motorists aren't much better, had one car just come out of a driveway right in front of my bus today. Long Island is the worst place in the nation to drive, which is why I get so annoyed when people complain bus drivers get paid too much. Quality labor is very important here, probably moreso than other parts of the country, and cutting labor costs for bus operations is not gonna have good results.

I think barriers wouldn't help pedestrians from J-crossing.

When there's construction work that closed one crosswalk, people still cross that closed crosswalk illegaly.

I think Nassau and Suffolk county police officers could start enforcing J-walking in busy street like Northern Blvd, Fulton Av-Hempstead Turnpike, Merrick Rd, Sunrise Highway, Glen Clove Rd, Route 110, Long Island Expressway, Cross Island Parkway, etc and what Ft. Lee cops are doing for distracted walkers, J-crossing, distracted drivers/cyclists.

I hope male senior driver on #1786 don't get fired either because he did the right thing to trying to avoid pedestrian.

I think barriers wouldn't help pedestrians from J-crossing.

When there's construction work that closed one crosswalk, people still cross that closed crosswalk illegaly.

I think Nassau and Suffolk county police officers could start enforcing J-walking in busy street like Northern Blvd, Fulton Av-Hempstead Turnpike, Merrick Rd, Sunrise Highway, Glen Clove Rd, Route 110, Long Island Expressway, Cross Island Parkway, etc and what Ft. Lee cops are doing for distracted walkers, J-crossing, distracted drivers/cyclists.

I hope male senior driver on #1786 don't get fired either because he did the right thing to trying to avoid pedestrian.

IMO for all I care to teach a lesson the bus should've not tried to manuever and honk, and if it hit the jaywalker by accident, then you'll never do something like that again

Considering he didn't stick around after the accident, he could get charged. I see reckless pedestrian behavior all the time, they dart out into traffic and often in front of buses. The bicyclists are the worst, I've seen them dart out from the sidewalk into oncoming traffic and ride the yellow line. And the motorists aren't much better, had one car just come out of a driveway right in front of my bus today. Long Island is the worst place in the nation to drive, which is why I get so annoyed when people complain bus drivers get paid too much. Quality labor is very important here, probably moreso than other parts of the country, and cutting labor costs for bus operations is not gonna have good results.

Not only that, when I was at Long Beach Station waiting room, looking for interest newsday article, male cyclist was riding BIKE THROUGH WAITING AREA.

When my mom and I was doing laundry in 24-hour Jackson Heights Landryautmat, now out of business, regardding the children playing in there, Spanish male cyclist RODE BIKE THROUGH landrymat, risking lives of children which are illegal in both case.

How about that:

The company said the bus driver previously worked for the MTA before joining NICE in January 2012.

http://www.examiner....child-hempstead

Whadda ya know... So the bus driver could've also caused this under LIB because he already worked for them. Not Veolia to blame in this case, the jaywalker is the only one to blame.

Whadda ya know... So the bus driver could've also caused this under LIB because he already worked for them. Not Veolia to blame in this case, the jaywalker is the only one to blame.

I guess I jumped to conclusions, I owe NICE, Veolia, Mangano & everyone else an apology. Sorry.

In Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester Counties, people J-cross because closest crosswalk are too far apart, that's why some people are lazy going all the way to crosswalk.

Also, take look at zebra crossing on 5th Av and Madison Av near 49th-50th Sts in Manhattan, and there is barrier at curb but crosswalk is few inches away, however people close that street anyway.

Does anyone know if this traffic light is controlled by the state or the county? A lot of people have been commenting on news articles are saying that the cross walk light has been broken for sometime and repaired shortly after the accident (hmm so maybe the news there wouldn't see).

The jaywalker may have been a dumbass but whoevers light controls that intersection (County or State) may have to cough up the big pay day.

***edit***

You guys know what I mean, I know the money will never make up for the price of a lost child. But lets face it we all know the lawyers will be sniffing around for who has deep pockets and it won't be the jay walker.

http://www.subchat.c...d.asp?Id=269205

Making matters worse, the room was illegally converted from a porch.

The other was the jaywalker was likely drunk.

Legal or not, it still wouldn't have held up to an Orion VII barreling through it.

I have been meaning to post my opinion that Hempstead's zoning should not allow a a wood house to have a sleeping bedroom so close to the roadway.

This tragedy should change the zoning law.

After reading that post on subchat the owner is a scumbag, repeatedly breaking the law! ...and he was at the scene with his sob story saying the house doesn't matter., Bull shit if he was a caring human being and didn't illegally convert a porch so he could profit a child wouldn't have died.

There are so many scumbag landlords in this state, NYS really needs to find a way of stripping these scumbags who continually violate the law from being able to be landlords.

Archived